A/C problems

Old July 9th 11, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

Default A/C problems

>> I wonder what a spray can of brake cleaner might do to it. It comes
>> with a tiny little spray tube that could squirt right into that gap.

> Go in from the front of the pulley side. The "clutch" is a ferrous plate
> that is pulled in against another metal plate by the electromagnet - kind of
> like a solenoid plunger. The plates have some grooves in them that pack up
> with grease/oil/chips and oil will also gum up on the sides of the cup.
> Your brake fliud or carb cleaner will cut that grease. I've also had pretty
> good luck using Simple Green in there. Just soak it good and try to cycle
> the clutch several times while it's still dripping. I usually pull the
> solenoid wire and use a jumper to cylce mine several times, then hit it with
> as much pressure as I can from a hose to get it cleaneded out.

Mine is a mitsubishi, not a jeep, so the clutch is probably different.
I do tip my hat to the poster that suggested the water or air hose. I'll
give it a good test today, but it stayed on Friday from the time I left
work to the time I got home and then some, including some on purpose
cycling. I still want to use some cleaner followed by compressed air.

As they say YMMV, but chances are the clutch is just gunked up.
If I pull the connector in the TXD, the engine slows down and
the fans turns off and all comes back on when I reconnect it,
so that part must be working.

I charged it "blind" using only an AC thermometer stuck in the vent.
When it hit 43 degrees, I gave it another minute or two of gas and then
disconnected, after turning off the motor, of course. Now I have gauges
for PAG oil. My other R134a gauge has ester oil in it.
Old July 10th 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

On 7/5/2011 05:28, PeterD wrote:
> On 7/4/2011 11:14 PM, Scott in Baltimore wrote:
>> lid wrote:
>>> My air conditioner has gone flakey on me but the symptoms aren't
>>> consistent so I haven't been able to get a diagnosis. It blows hot
>>> and cold.
>>>
>>> Usually, when I first turn it on, it blows cold.... for awhile, maybe
>>> 10-15 minutes (or more or less).... then the cold goes away and it
>>> feels lmore ike outside air blown by the vent fan.
>>> But if I leave the control on "A/C, it might start blowing cold air
>>> again after another 10-15 minutes. When I'm driving, I can't hear
>>> anything turning on/off under the hood nor can I feel anything.
>>>
>>> Jiffy Lube guy (who also services A/C) couldn't make it act up when he
>>> checked it and he guessed it might be hoses freezing up. The
>>> dealership couldn't make it act up either and they guessed it would be
>>> the compressor clutch, so best to replace the whole compressor (for
>>> about $1000). Both Jiffy and dealer told me to bring it back in when
>>> it's not working. But my crystal ball stopped working years ago and I
>>> never KNOW when it's going to work and when it's not. It both comes
>>> and goes with no warning and no regularity.
>>>
>>> Anybody want to take a stab at what the problem might be? And better
>>> yet, an inexpensive way to nurse it along through the summer?
>>>
>>> Rick
>>> HeBeJeepN
>>> '99 XJ Sport, Selec-Trac, Trac-Lok

>> I'm wondering myself. My car does this exact thing. Blows nice and cold
>> for 15 to 20 minutes, then the compressor won't click. The car will turn
>> on the fans and speed up the engine, but no click and no compression.

> A marginal refrigerant level (low, but just above the low pressure
> cutoff) will cause this to happen. The system, when cold has less
> pressure overall, and the low pressure switch then cuts off. After the
> system warms up (say it sits for a while) it then starts up again.

My experience with low refrigerant has been that the compressor clutch
cycles on and off even with the unit set on max cool. Confirmed by FSM.

1995 Honda Accord EX - Brake problems, many problems [email protected] Honda 1 October 19th 07 02:17 AM
1995 Honda Accord EX - Brake problems, many problems queenslacker Honda 0 October 18th 07 07:10 PM
Electrical Problems/ Starter Problems 1990 BMW 325is Ben Martin BMW 0 April 19th 06 11:20 PM
Problems with a '97 Jeff Ford Mustang 1 February 12th 06 07:48 AM
problems with 2.5 Haywood Jablomy Chrysler 2 May 12th 05 01:10 AM