Whole vehicle vibration when in Drive (95 Stratus 2.4l DOHC Automatic)

Old September 30th 07, 07:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Whole vehicle vibration when in Drive (95 Stratus 2.4l DOHC Automatic)

I recently purchased a used 1995 Stratus ( 146,000 miles )the guy that
sold it to me said the idle was erratic (anywhere from 1000 to 2500
rpm). It got better after replacing the TPS and checking vacuum lines.
But the main problem I'm having is severe vibration when the vehicle
is in Drive. In neutral or reverse, it is smooth as silk, but when I
shift into Drive, the vehicle sometimes vibrates so badly that the
rear-view mirror is blurry and accelerating sounds almost like there
is no muffler the noise is so loud.

I also noticed that if I come to a complete stop and shift into Park
it gets better but if I let off the brakes and roll forward it starts
the whole vibration thing as the vehicle rolls forward but goes away
as the vehicle rocks backwards. I'm really stumped on this one.

I was suspecting a torque converter problem, but when I started
noticing the issue in Park I wasn't so sure. Also if the torque
converter was shot, why would it run so smoothly in Reverse? I can
give it all the gas I want in reverse and the car is pretty much
silent, but any forward gear vibrates like crazy.

The only way I can explain the sensation is if you go to a top-fuel
drag race and the feeling you get on your face as the dragsters go by.

Also sometimes if I stop and shift it into Neutral at a light or stop
sign and then shift into Drive, I accelerate forward maybe about 10
feet and then hear a loud clunk and the vehicle jumps forward.

Ideas? Suggestions? This car was very inexpensive, so the fact that
it rolls forward and the A/C works means it was worth what I spent,
but I'd like to figure this issue out so I could have a little more
piece of mind.

Thanks!

Old September 30th 07, 11:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I recently purchased a used 1995 Stratus ( 146,000 miles )the guy that
> sold it to me said the idle was erratic (anywhere from 1000 to 2500
> rpm). It got better after replacing the TPS and checking vacuum lines.
> But the main problem I'm having is severe vibration when the vehicle
> is in Drive. In neutral or reverse, it is smooth as silk, but when I
> shift into Drive, the vehicle sometimes vibrates so badly that the
> rear-view mirror is blurry and accelerating sounds almost like there
> is no muffler the noise is so loud.
>
> I also noticed that if I come to a complete stop and shift into Park
> it gets better but if I let off the brakes and roll forward it starts
> the whole vibration thing as the vehicle rolls forward but goes away
> as the vehicle rocks backwards. I'm really stumped on this one.
>
> I was suspecting a torque converter problem, but when I started
> noticing the issue in Park I wasn't so sure. Also if the torque
> converter was shot, why would it run so smoothly in Reverse? I can
> give it all the gas I want in reverse and the car is pretty much
> silent, but any forward gear vibrates like crazy.
>
> The only way I can explain the sensation is if you go to a top-fuel
> drag race and the feeling you get on your face as the dragsters go by.
>
> Also sometimes if I stop and shift it into Neutral at a light or stop
> sign and then shift into Drive, I accelerate forward maybe about 10
> feet and then hear a loud clunk and the vehicle jumps forward.
>
> Ideas? Suggestions? This car was very inexpensive, so the fact that
> it rolls forward and the A/C works means it was worth what I spent,
> but I'd like to figure this issue out so I could have a little more
> piece of mind.
>
> Thanks!

You have a motor mount that is bad. The isolator is worn and causing metal
on metal.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech