Transmission/Axle Problem

Old May 22nd 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Caesar

Default Transmission/Axle Problem

I recently had my front axle replaced. About a week afterwards the
transmission went out. The guys at the transmission shop told me the
failure was caused by the axle being chewed up on the end, not holding
the clip, causing the axle to move in and out, causing the failure of
the transmission. Of course, my mechanic said there was no way this
could have caused the transmission to fail.I need to know if anyone
can shed light on this. Could a bad axle cause the transmission to
fail?
Old May 22nd 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Caesar wrote:
> I recently had my front axle replaced. About a week afterwards the
> transmission went out. The guys at the transmission shop told me the
> failure was caused by the axle being chewed up on the end, not holding
> the clip, causing the axle to move in and out, causing the failure of
> the transmission. Of course, my mechanic said there was no way this
> could have caused the transmission to fail.I need to know if anyone
> can shed light on this. Could a bad axle cause the transmission to
> fail?

----------------------

Year, mileage, model, tranny type?

What does 'went out' mean?

'Curly'
Old May 23rd 08, 11:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Caesar

On May 22, 11:37*am, motsco_ > wrote:
> Caesar wrote:
> > I recently had my front axle replaced. About a week afterwards the
> > transmission went out. The guys at the transmission shop told me the
> > failure was caused by the axle being chewed up on the end, not holding
> > the clip, causing the axle to move in and out, causing the failure of
> > the transmission. Of course, my mechanic said there was no way this
> > could have caused the transmission to fail.I need to know if anyone
> > can shed light on this. Could a bad axle cause the transmission to
> > fail?

> ----------------------
>
> Year, mileage, model, tranny type?
>
> What does 'went out' mean?
>
> 'Curly'

It is a 1998, 138,000 miles, automatic. CRV. I was not having any
problems with the transmission until the axle change. Riding down the
road and quit pulling, transmission noises. Transmission shop said
axle was chewed up on end and clip wouldn't stay on causing axle to
move in and out, causing transmission problem. I did notice a leak two
days before and it took about a quart and a half of fluid.

Old May 23rd 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Caesar wrote:
> On May 22, 11:37�am, motsco_ > wrote:
>> Caesar wrote:
>>> I recently had my front axle replaced. About a week afterwards the
>>> transmission went out. The guys at the transmission shop told me the
>>> failure was caused by the axle being chewed up on the end, not holding
>>> the clip, causing the axle to move in and out, causing the failure of
>>> the transmission. Of course, my mechanic said there was no way this
>>> could have caused the transmission to fail.I need to know if anyone
>>> can shed light on this. Could a bad axle cause the transmission to
>>> fail?

>> ----------------------
>>
>> Year, mileage, model, tranny type?
>>
>> What does 'went out' mean?
>>
>> 'Curly'

> It is a 1998, 138,000 miles, automatic. CRV. I was not having any
> problems with the transmission until the axle change. Riding down the
> road and quit pulling, transmission noises. Transmission shop said
> axle was chewed up on end and clip wouldn't stay on causing axle to
> move in and out, causing transmission problem. I did notice a leak two
> days before and it took about a quart and a half of fluid.

i've noticed that some after-market axles use the wrong retaining
circlip on their axle ends. the honda circlip is is of slightly larger
wire diameter, and thus it is easier to push in and out of the socket
than thinner wire ones of aftermarket. if the axle end had this problem
and wasn't driven home properly, what you describe could indeed happen.

thing is, not only should the shop have noticed this problem, because
it's very obvious when you're under the vehicle, they should also have
fixed it. the solution is simple - simply re-use the honda circlip from
the old axle. it's guaranteed the right size and the axle end will snug
home perfectly.

either way, this is an expensive repair. whoever messed up the axle
replacement should pay. take them to small claims court if they don't
agree. make sure you take plenty of pictures for the judge. print this
message as well so you can explain the problem.