Drilling holes in bumper & air-bag sencer??

Old January 1st 05, 01:59 AM

Default Drilling holes in bumper & air-bag sencer??

I have a 2001 Exp Sport which I would like to remove the front toe
hooks and in its place put some driving lights. Problem is that I
may need to drill holes into the underside of the bumperso to mount the
lights. Is the an airbag sencer in this area? My son has
1999 Exp 4 dr. any chance of hitting a sencer drilling into his bumper?
He want extra lights as well.

Old January 1st 05, 04:16 AM
Kevin D

Now why would you want to install driving lights? I hate those things...all
they do is blind oncoming drivers. If you can't see very far with your
existing headlights, then you should just slow down to a safe speed.

That's my 2c worth.

ups.com...

Old January 3rd 05, 10:52 PM
Vic Klein

Not that I want to start some flaming responses, but I must say I am
surprised at the vehemence some have toward fog lights! I have never ever
been "blinded" by a properly installed and aimed set of fog lights and have
never found them distracting in any way. I am not a kid, either, being well
past 50 and having poor eyes (nearsighted, bifocals, and a developing
cataract). Living out in the country, I really appreciate the added
illumination of the road edges, especially when passing an oncoming vehicle.
I am far more bothered by people who leave their high beams on and those new
"blue" lights are really a bit irritating, but I am never bothered by fog
lights.

That being said, some cars do not have fogs, but some semblance of a driving
light (I think Pontiacs are notorious for those) that will blind an oncoming
driver. Those should only be used in conjunction with High Beams, IMHO, when
no other cars are around. Do YOU have fogs? Turn them on at night while
parked close to a wall or garage door. Do they make a thin horizontal beam
of light that is no higher, and usually slightly lower to the ground, than
the lights themselves? That low-aimed, sharp cutoff light is designed to
minimize reflections up where drivers are, precisely what is needed in fog,
and should not disturb other drivers.

Now for some real insanity, why are some fog lights designed to turn off
when high beams are on? If you can run high beams, what problem is there to
run fog lights as well? Truly the fog benefit is cancelled by the high
beams, but why make them turn off?

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

<Alan > wrote in message
>I never use those lights, just because I know what it is like to have them
> shining in my eyes when the occasional "look at me" idiot has his on.
>

> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 04:16:43 GMT, "Kevin D" > wrote:
>
>>Now why would you want to install driving lights? I hate those
>>things...all
>>they do is blind oncoming drivers. If you can't see very far with your
>>existing headlights, then you should just slow down to a safe speed.
>>
>>That's my 2c worth.

roups.com...

Old January 4th 05, 12:06 AM
Big Shoe

I recently had to drive at night on some back roads in rural
Pennsylvania and was continually blinded by fog lights. Everyone had
them on, cars, SUV's, whatever. IMHO, the things should be wired so
that they stay off when the vehicle is turned off so that at least the
blinding drivers would have to turn them on every time they start the
vehicle. I finally had to turn mine on in self defense or drive with
high beams. Note this is not particularly a flame, but I think the
feds have neglected their duty in allowing all these blue lights, fog
lights and so on without regulation.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:52:52 -0500, "Vic Klein" >
wrote:

>Not that I want to start some flaming responses, but I must say I am
>surprised at the vehemence some have toward fog lights! I have never ever
>been "blinded" by a properly installed and aimed set of fog lights and have
>never found them distracting in any way. I am not a kid, either, being well
>past 50 and having poor eyes (nearsighted, bifocals, and a developing
>cataract). Living out in the country, I really appreciate the added
>illumination of the road edges, especially when passing an oncoming vehicle.
>I am far more bothered by people who leave their high beams on and those new
>"blue" lights are really a bit irritating, but I am never bothered by fog
>lights.
>
>That being said, some cars do not have fogs, but some semblance of a driving
>light (I think Pontiacs are notorious for those) that will blind an oncoming
>driver. Those should only be used in conjunction with High Beams, IMHO, when
>no other cars are around. Do YOU have fogs? Turn them on at night while
>parked close to a wall or garage door. Do they make a thin horizontal beam
>of light that is no higher, and usually slightly lower to the ground, than
>the lights themselves? That low-aimed, sharp cutoff light is designed to
>minimize reflections up where drivers are, precisely what is needed in fog,
>and should not disturb other drivers.
>
>Now for some real insanity, why are some fog lights designed to turn off
>when high beams are on? If you can run high beams, what problem is there to
>run fog lights as well? Truly the fog benefit is cancelled by the high
>beams, but why make them turn off?
>
>=Vic=
>Bear Gap, PA
>
><Alan > wrote in message
.. .
>>I never use those lights, just because I know what it is like to have them
>> shining in my eyes when the occasional "look at me" idiot has his on.
>>

>> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 04:16:43 GMT, "Kevin D" > wrote:
>>
>>>Now why would you want to install driving lights? I hate those
>>>things...all
>>>they do is blind oncoming drivers. If you can't see very far with your
>>>existing headlights, then you should just slow down to a safe speed.
>>>
>>>That's my 2c worth.

groups.com...

Old January 4th 05, 03:08 AM
Kevin D

Flaming responses? C'mon Vic, we're all adults here. We can express
differing opinions and still be civil! Now for my other 2c worth...

You wrote, "I have never ever been "blinded" by a properly installed and
aimed set of fog lights". "Properly installed and aimed" are the operative
terms here. So many people must buy a set of these things and just slap 'em
on, apparently never bothering to aim them properly. Some are so bright and
shine right in my face, that I have to shield my eyes with my left arm until
they pass, so that I can see the road in front of me. I live in central WA,
and often travel to Seattle over mountain passes...not only is it pitch
black at night, but the switchbacks are difficult to navigate if you have
some fool's driving or fog lights in your eyes.

What may be even worse are the boneheads who use the things in the city,
when there is more than adequate street lighting. I assume that they are
mostly kids who think that the lights are "cool", but I suspect that a fair
number of adults are also guilty. I have no problem with people who use
these lights on dark rural roads, when they are properly aimed (a tiny
minority, IMHO). If you take the time to install and aim them properly, you
are probably smart enough to know when to use them, and perhaps more
importantly, when NOT to use them.

Then there are the fools who refuse to dim their high beams, even after
being flashed once or twice. If only people were courteous to each
other...but I'm afraid that aspect of society has been left far in the past.

And yes - my Ex does indeed have driving lights. I've never once used them,
nor do I have any plan to.

Cheers!
Kevin

"Vic Klein" > wrote in message
> Not that I want to start some flaming responses, but I must say I am
> surprised at the vehemence some have toward fog lights! I have never ever
> been "blinded" by a properly installed and aimed set of fog lights and
> have never found them distracting in any way. I am not a kid, either,
> being well past 50 and having poor eyes (nearsighted, bifocals, and a
> developing cataract). Living out in the country, I really appreciate the
> added illumination of the road edges, especially when passing an oncoming
> vehicle. I am far more bothered by people who leave their high beams on
> and those new "blue" lights are really a bit irritating, but I am never
> bothered by fog lights.
>
> That being said, some cars do not have fogs, but some semblance of a
> driving light (I think Pontiacs are notorious for those) that will blind
> an oncoming driver. Those should only be used in conjunction with High
> Beams, IMHO, when no other cars are around. Do YOU have fogs? Turn them on
> at night while parked close to a wall or garage door. Do they make a thin
> horizontal beam of light that is no higher, and usually slightly lower to
> the ground, than the lights themselves? That low-aimed, sharp cutoff light
> is designed to minimize reflections up where drivers are, precisely what
> is needed in fog, and should not disturb other drivers.
>
> Now for some real insanity, why are some fog lights designed to turn off
> when high beams are on? If you can run high beams, what problem is there
> to run fog lights as well? Truly the fog benefit is cancelled by the high
> beams, but why make them turn off?
>
> =Vic=
> Bear Gap, PA
>
> <Alan > wrote in message
>>I never use those lights, just because I know what it is like to have them
>> shining in my eyes when the occasional "look at me" idiot has his on.
>>

>> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 04:16:43 GMT, "Kevin D" > wrote:
>>
>>>Now why would you want to install driving lights? I hate those
>>>things...all
>>>they do is blind oncoming drivers. If you can't see very far with your
>>>existing headlights, then you should just slow down to a safe speed.
>>>
>>>That's my 2c worth.

groups.com...

Old January 18th 05, 07:45 PM
Silverbirdflyer

I think everyone has strayed away from the "ORIGINAL" posters question.
Call a dealer and ask them since everyone has gotten sidetracked by the
debate over Fog Lights. They will be able to tell you where the sensors
are located. When you do get them installed I know you will keep in mind
the safe ooperation of your fog lights. Good Luck!

Old January 19th 05, 07:57 AM
Jim Warman

I am blown away that the original poster hasn't figured out how to reach up
behind the bumper or where ever he plans on drilling and simply feeling
around.....

Common sense took another holiday....

lkaboutautos.com...