People Renting U-Haul Trucks and Refilling Gas Tank w Water

Old June 28th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default People Renting U-Haul Trucks and Refilling Gas Tank w Water

http://www.katu.com/news/local/20902539.html

Story Updated: Jun 25, 2008 at 7:12 PM PDT
By KOMO Staff

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Crooks have come up with a new scam to get out of paying
for gas, and it's costing truck rental companies thousands of dollars.

Crooks reportedly rent U-Haul trucks then, when the time comes to return
the truck, top off the tank with water instead of gas, wrecking the engine.

Some scammers get away with it because the trucks are often handed over to
the next customer very quickly. But water in the gas tank eventually brings
the trucks to a sputtering stop.

"It can cost up to $2,000 each time it happens, minimum," said Merow.

(SNIP)
Old June 28th 08, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
Bill Bonde { ''Direct And On Point'')

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> Crooks reportedly rent U-Haul trucks then, when the time comes to return
> the truck, top off the tank with water instead of gas, wrecking the engine.
>
> Some scammers get away with it because the trucks are often handed over to
> the next customer very quickly. But water in the gas tank eventually brings
> the trucks to a sputtering stop.
>
> "It can cost up to $2,000 each time it happens, minimum," said Merow.

But they don't make $2,000 on the trick. They might make $100 and
that's if they can sell the gas for whatever the street price is
and they return the truck with nothing but water in it, not really
very practical. Wouldn't it better to just steal the truck? That
should net them at least $200 profit at the going rate now for big
trucks.

--
"It happens sometimes, people just explode, natural causes."

-+Alex Cox, "Repo Man"
Old June 28th 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
Jeffrey Turner

Bill Bonde { ''Direct And On Point'') wrote:

> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>

>>Crooks reportedly rent U-Haul trucks then, when the time comes to return
>>the truck, top off the tank with water instead of gas, wrecking the engine.
>>
>>Some scammers get away with it because the trucks are often handed over to
>>the next customer very quickly. But water in the gas tank eventually brings
>>the trucks to a sputtering stop.
>>
>>"It can cost up to $2,000 each time it happens, minimum," said Merow.
>>

> But they don't make $2,000 on the trick. They might make $100 and
> that's if they can sell the gas for whatever the street price is
> and they return the truck with nothing but water in it, not really
> very practical. Wouldn't it better to just steal the truck? That
> should net them at least $200 profit at the going rate now for big
> trucks.

I doubt they are selling the gasoline. They're just looking for a way
to avoid paying the $100 or whatever it is to refill the tank.

--Jeff

--
The struggle with evil by means of violence
is the same as an attempt to stop a cloud,
Old June 28th 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> Bill Bonde { ''Direct And On Point'') wrote:
>

>> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>>

>>> Crooks reportedly rent U-Haul trucks then, when the time comes to return
>>> the truck, top off the tank with water instead of gas, wrecking the
>>> engine.
>>>
>>> Some scammers get away with it because the trucks are often handed
>>> over to
>>> the next customer very quickly. But water in the gas tank eventually
>>> brings
>>> the trucks to a sputtering stop.
>>>
>>> "It can cost up to $2,000 each time it happens, minimum," said Merow.
>>>

>> But they don't make $2,000 on the trick. They might make $100 and
>> that's if they can sell the gas for whatever the street price is
>> and they return the truck with nothing but water in it, not really
>> very practical. Wouldn't it better to just steal the truck? That
>> should net them at least $200 profit at the going rate now for big
>> trucks.

> I doubt they are selling the gasoline. They're just looking for a way
> to avoid paying the $100 or whatever it is to refill the tank.
>
> --Jeff

More than that, now. At $4.05 a gallon, I can't even fill up my F-150
on $100, and that's just a little half ton pickup.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 28th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
necromancer

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS:
> http://www.katu.com/news/local/20902539.html
>
> Story Updated: Jun 25, 2008 at 7:12 PM PDT
> By KOMO Staff
>
> OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Crooks have come up with a new scam to get out of paying
> for gas, and it's costing truck rental companies thousands of dollars.
>
> Crooks reportedly rent U-Haul trucks then, when the time comes to return
> the truck, top off the tank with water instead of gas, wrecking the engine.

Sounds like sonething that a worthless mother****er like you would do.

Loco Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend (a.k.a. SADDAM) admits to being
a deadly speeder, psychopath and criminal coddler:

"> Have you ever driven a car faster than the legal speed limit?

Yes, but never deliberately. In fact i got a speeding ticket about 5
years ago for doing 41 in a 25. I just about kicked the cops teeth in
cause i was sure he was lying. No way the SL on this wide open
stretch could be 25, i thought."

Pride of America (c.k.a. Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend/
laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE/Speeders And Drunk Drivers
Are Murderers (SADDAM)), 10/3/2002
http://tinyurl.com/5u4wg

Proof that POA is LBMHB/lbVH/SADDAM:
See the following: http://tinyurl.com/ahphj
Old June 28th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
Harry K

On Jun 28, 4:55*am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> > Bill Bonde { ''Direct And On Point'') wrote:

> >> But they don't make $2,000 on the trick. They might make $100 and
> >> that's if they can sell the gas for whatever the street price is
> >> and they return the truck with nothing but water in it, not really
> >> very practical. Wouldn't it better to just steal the truck? That
> >> should net them at least $200 profit at the going rate now for big
> >> trucks.

> > I doubt they are selling the gasoline. *They're just looking for a way
> > to avoid paying the $100 or whatever it is to refill the tank.

> > --Jeff

> More than that, now. *At $4.05 a gallon, I can't even fill up my F-150
> on $100, and that's just a little half ton pickup.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Yep. Took me $34 yesterday to fill the car and I only put in just
over 8 gallons.

The scam as reported must be for trucks with two tanks. There is no
way you could top off a tank with water and then drive it to turn in
on the same tank.

I can't see the $2,000 to get it it running again. Drain tank, change
fuel filters and back in business...of course add $200 or so to
refill. Drain tank by disconnecting fuel line, running fuel pump
until dry, dump in a can or two of dry gas (or equivalent of diesel
treatment).

Harry K

Harry K
Old June 28th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Bill Bonde { ''Direct And On Point'') wrote:
> >
> > Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> >

> >>Crooks reportedly rent U-Haul trucks then, when the time comes to return
> >>the truck, top off the tank with water instead of gas, wrecking the engine.
> >>
> >>Some scammers get away with it because the trucks are often handed over to
> >>the next customer very quickly. But water in the gas tank eventually brings
> >>the trucks to a sputtering stop.
> >>
> >>"It can cost up to $2,000 each time it happens, minimum," said Merow.
> >>

> > But they don't make $2,000 on the trick. They might make $100 and
> > that's if they can sell the gas for whatever the street price is
> > and they return the truck with nothing but water in it, not really
> > very practical. Wouldn't it better to just steal the truck? That
> > should net them at least $200 profit at the going rate now for big
> > trucks.

> I doubt they are selling the gasoline. They're just looking for a way
> to avoid paying the $100 or whatever it is to refill the tank.

When they are found out, they get to pay the $2000 to fix the
truck. That's just cheery.

Old June 28th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

On Jun 27, 9:09 pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS"
> wrote:
> http://www.katu.com/news/local/20902539.html
>
> Story Updated: Jun 25, 2008 at 7:12 PM PDT
> By KOMO Staff

..
> OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Crooks have come up with a new scam to get out of paying
> for gas, and it's costing truck rental companies thousands of dollars.

..
> Crooks reportedly rent U-Haul trucks then, when the time comes to return
> the truck, top off the tank with water instead of gas, wrecking the engine.

..
> Some scammers get away with it because the trucks are often handed over to
> the next customer very quickly. But water in the gas tank eventually brings
> the trucks to a sputtering stop.

..
> "It can cost up to $2,000 each time it happens, minimum," said Merow.

..
Which is why you have to hand over your credit-card, and driver's
license, when you rent a U-Haul. I promise you that any fool who
pulls this stunt will have the $2,000 pulled out of their hide.

Just out of curiosity, how does one drive a U-Haul filled with water
onto the lot in the first place?

Old June 28th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
Harry K

On Jun 28, 9:54*am, " > wrote:
> On Jun 27, 9:09 pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS"
>

> > wrote:
> >http://www.katu.com/news/local/20902539.html

> > Story Updated: Jun 25, 2008 at 7:12 PM PDT
> > By KOMO Staff

> .
> > OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Crooks have come up with a new scam to get out of paying
> > for gas, and it's costing truck rental companies thousands of dollars.

> .
> > Crooks reportedly rent U-Haul trucks then, when the time comes to return
> > the truck, top off the tank with water instead of gas, wrecking the engine.

> .
> > Some scammers get away with it because the trucks are often handed over to
> > the next customer very quickly. But water in the gas tank eventually brings
> > the trucks to a sputtering stop.

> .
> > "It can cost up to $2,000 each time it happens, minimum," said Merow.

> .
> Which is why you have to hand over your credit-card, and driver's
> license, when you rent a U-Haul. *I promise you that any fool who
> pulls this stunt will have the $2,000 pulled out of their hide.
>
> Just out of curiosity, how does one drive a U-Haul filled with water
> onto the lot in the first place?- Hide quoted text -

Two tanks?

Harry K
Old June 28th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-06-28, Jeffrey Turner > wrote:

> I doubt they are selling the gasoline. They're just looking for a way
> to avoid paying the $100 or whatever it is to refill the tank.

There are more creative ways to make the tank appear full without
damaging the truck with a water filled fuel tank. It would cost no more
than piece of wire.