'95 Civic--intermittent A/C cooling problem

Old May 25th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Steven L.[_2_]

Default '95 Civic--intermittent A/C cooling problem

motsco_ wrote:
> Steven L. wrote:
>> I have a 1995 Honda Civic with only 80,000 miles on it.
>>
>> There's a mysterious intermittent cooling problem that two mechanics
>> have so far failed to fix: The A/C just stops cooling after 15
>> minutes or so. If I cycle the A/C off and on with the dashboard
>> controls a few times, it seems to engage and start cooling again--only
>> to stop cooling some time later.
>>

> =====================
>
> It's an air conditioner. It is supposed to shut off now and then. It has
> a sensor inside the heater box that tells the compressor to shut off if
> it gets too cold. It's there to prevent ICING. If you've ever stayed in
> a cheap motel you will understand.

I just drove the car for an hour, and the A/C didn't engage once at all,
even though the temperature was quite high inside the car and warm outside.

When I said "intermittent," I meant that there are times when I can
drive the car for a whole hour and the compressor won't engage.

And that ain't right.

--
Steven L.
Email:
Old May 25th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Steven L.[_2_]

wrote:
> On May 17, 5:56 pm, "Steven L." > wrote:
>> I have a 1995 Honda Civic with only 80,000 miles on it.
>>
>> There's a mysterious intermittent cooling problem that two mechanics
>> have so far failed to fix: The A/C just stops cooling after 15 minutes
>> or so. If I cycle the A/C off and on with the dashboard controls a few
>> times, it seems to engage and start cooling again--only to stop cooling
>> some time later.
>>
>> So far, my mechanics have found that the clutch isn't engaging for some
>> reason. They suspect an electrical problem of some kind. They have
>> checked the refrigerant level, the compressor, the clutch, and the
>> clutch relay. The clutch relay was just replaced. But the problem
>> persists.
>>
>> My mechanics have been reduced to a fishing expedition--keep replacing
>> different parts. They don't know any other way to find the problem.
>>
>> Any ideas what else could be causing this?
>> Any way to track down the problem systematically?
>> How many switches and relays are involved in a Honda Civic?
>> Could it be a sensor of some kind?
>>
>> Any advice would be most welcome!
>>
>> --
>> Steven L.
>> Email:
>> Remove the NOSPAM before replying to me.

> intermittent electrical problems are most always bad connections
>
> i second the suggestion about looking at the wiring harness behind the
> A/C panel on the dash. If there is a PCB, i would suggest an
> inspection and resolder of broken solder joints, similar to fixing the
> main relay intermittent problem.

I'll do that.
Someone else already suggested to also check the A/C on/off button (the
one that has the LED light indicator). The dash electricals are the one
thing that the mechanics haven't checked yet.

--
Steven L.
Email:

Old May 26th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle[_3_]

"Steven L." > wrote
> I'll do that.
> Someone else already suggested to also check the A/C
> on/off button (the one that has the LED light indicator).
> The dash electricals are the one thing that the mechanics
> haven't checked yet.

You might want to sign in and do a search at
www.honda-tech.com . It is becoming my preferred resource
for anything specific. The good news is it yields many
"hits." The bad news is that the problems are a miscellany.

Old May 26th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Steven L. wrote:
> motsco_ wrote:
>> Steven L. wrote:
>>> I have a 1995 Honda Civic with only 80,000 miles on it.
>>>
>>> There's a mysterious intermittent cooling problem that two mechanics
>>> have so far failed to fix: The A/C just stops cooling after 15
>>> minutes or so. If I cycle the A/C off and on with the dashboard
>>> controls a few times, it seems to engage and start cooling
>>> again--only to stop cooling some time later.
>>>

>> =====================
>>
>> It's an air conditioner. It is supposed to shut off now and then. It
>> has a sensor inside the heater box that tells the compressor to shut
>> off if it gets too cold. It's there to prevent ICING. If you've ever
>> stayed in a cheap motel you will understand.

> I just drove the car for an hour, and the A/C didn't engage once at all,
> even though the temperature was quite high inside the car and warm outside.
>
> When I said "intermittent," I meant that there are times when I can
> drive the car for a whole hour and the compressor won't engage.
>
> And that ain't right.

I think there's a cutout switch that detects low pressure as well as
HIGH. If it's been 'topped up' by somebody who isn't familiar with
Hondas, that could be your problem too. They are apparently easy to
overcharge...

'Curly'