Noisy in cold weather for short time

Old December 6th 04, 09:04 PM
Fred W

Ted Johnson wrote:
>>There is no belt tension "adjustment" on BMW E36 engines. There are
>>automatic belt tensioners for both the Alternator-Waterpump-Power
>>steering belt and also the AC belt.

> How do these automatic belt tensioners know how much tension to apply?
> Is there a spring? If so, isn't it possible for it to fatigue?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -Ted

Yes, spring tension. There are two types. One that has a little
mini-shock absorber looking spring assembly and one that has a torsion
type spring assembly. You'd have to look up your car to see whaich you
have. And yes, either way it is possible for them to go bad.

-Fred W
Old December 8th 04, 04:03 PM
Fred W

Juhan Leemet wrote:

>>>How do these automatic belt tensioners know how much tension to apply?
>>>Is there a spring? If so, isn't it possible for it to fatigue?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>-Ted

>>Yes, spring tension. There are two types. One that has a little
>>mini-shock absorber looking spring assembly and one that has a torsion
>>type spring assembly. You'd have to look up your car to see whaich you
>>have. And yes, either way it is possible for them to go bad.

> Dunno about BMW. FWIW, on the Alfa 2000 GTV I had back in the 70s, there
> was an oil pressure operated chain tensioner. I think there was also some
> kind of ratchet arrangement to keep the tension, once it had been adjusted.

We were talking about the drive belt tensioners, not the timing
belts/chain tensioners.

-Fred W