Rat causes overheating and stalling in Audi

Old October 4th 05, 11:03 PM
cp

Default Rat causes overheating and stalling in Audi

Hi,

I've traced a number of serious problems I've had in my ol' 86 Audi to a rat living in the compartment between the windshield and
the firewall, underneath the plastic cover. I want to flood the rat out, is there anything in there that should not be covered in
water?

TIA (Thanks In Advance)

cp

Old October 4th 05, 11:37 PM

cp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've traced a number of serious problems I've had in my ol' 86 Audi to a rat living in the compartment between the windshield and
> the firewall, underneath the plastic cover. I want to flood the rat out, is there anything in there that should not be covered in
> water?
>
> TIA (Thanks In Advance)
>
> cp

Are you sure it's not the big nut behind the wheel?

I would try something like isopropyl alcohol (do this with the engine
and electrics off, in a well-ventilated space.)

The rat will not like the fumes/liquid, and the stuff will evaporate
away.

But first, how about a trap? Or just plain old disassembly?

E.P.

Old October 5th 05, 02:26 AM
cp

> Are you sure it's not the big nut behind the wheel?

no no no I had nut checked out! :-)

Yeh, looks like the beast made hisself a nest in there.

> I would try something like isopropyl alcohol (do this with the engine
> and electrics off, in a well-ventilated space.)
> The rat will not like the fumes/liquid, and the stuff will evaporate
> away.

ahhh yes, excellent idea, I actually like the smell myself. Hopefully this isopropyl alcohol stuff is cheaper than 150 proof
whiskey, do I need a lot or is enough just to coat everything?

> But first, how about a trap?

nah, don't want to pull out rat cadavers (this one is big, black and ugly, I seen it twice)

>Or just plain old disassembly?

Which is what I'll have to do in order to use the alcohol. I will first collect a couple of years of rent from the wretch, I wonder
what his weight cost me in additional gas...

Have to get this done, my wife won't go near this car :-)

cp

Old October 5th 05, 02:17 PM
Steve Sears

cp,
Dang critters! When I started the '62 DKW for the first time with the
entire exhaust system attached, it was sputtering and coughing - my friend
put his hand in front of the tailpipe and BANG! a wad of fluff and a dead
rat (or mouse) fired out. Revving the engine after that produced a machine
gun effect as the various nut shells in the system flew out and bounced off
the garage door.
Although I have heard that it's bad for your health, I have put mothballs in
the car over the winter and it seems to have kept the mice out, although the
smell lingers as it gets into the upholstery (and your clothes when you
drive it). Apparently, detergent perfume also does an acceptable job, and
cheaper detergents usually have smellier perfumes. I've made my garage a
virtual critter killing ground since I've stopped with the mothballs - a few
boxes of Rattak - have seemed to do the job. If I were you, I'd contact a
Critter Removal company - there's a company called Wildlife Control here -
and ask them about removing said rat from your ride - chances are, they've
done it before. You want to be careful with the removal aftermath, for one,
those rodents have to chew, and wires make a decent substitute for a piece
of wood - also, I know that mice can carry the Hanta virus, and that you can
contract it from their dried urine. Very important that if you finally get
rid of the rat, to wear a mask and gloves when removing the nest, and do so
outside - don't use a vacuum in a garage or a built-in vacuum that will
exhaust inside the garage.
Just be thankful that it's not a red squirrel, apparently they're the
tasmanian devil of the north.
Cheers! (now go get 'im)
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old October 5th 05, 04:55 PM
One out of many daves

OK a couple of things I will recommend:
First, to get the critter(s) out now just try some mothballs in vinegar (I
think) in a pan placed under the engine compartment. The fumes should chase
them out if it gets to them. I don't recommend you smelling this!!!
(Exterminator trick)
Next is to use some Irish Spring bars of soap which should keep them out and
should not smell to bad to you. (Old mechanic trick)

Let us know if these things work! I have heard that they will work, but
have never tried it. ;-)
Uh and no jokes about big male moths!!! lol
--
later,
dave

Old October 5th 05, 06:19 PM
Andy Turner

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:03:43 GMT, "cp" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've traced a number of serious problems I've had in my ol' 86 Audi to a rat living in the compartment between the windshield and
>the firewall, underneath the plastic cover.

Ah, that must be why modern cars come with cats.

andyt

Old October 5th 05, 06:27 PM

Andy Turner wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:03:43 GMT, "cp" > wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've traced a number of serious problems I've had in my ol' 86 Audi to a rat living in the compartment between the windshield and
> >the firewall, underneath the plastic cover.

> Ah, that must be why modern cars come with cats.

Obviously serving their time for felonies as well...

E.P.

Old October 6th 05, 03:46 AM
cp

> Dang critters! When I started the '62 DKW for the first time with the
> entire exhaust system attached, it was sputtering and coughing - my friend
> put his hand in front of the tailpipe and BANG! a wad of fluff and a dead
> rat (or mouse) fired out. Revving the engine after that produced a machine
> gun effect as the various nut shells in the system flew out and bounced off
> the garage door.

ROFL!! I almost choked on my lunch!

hmmm this seems like it will be some serious business, I didn't consider the health aspect, aiiii so it's a bad idea to pour water
in there?

cp

Old October 6th 05, 03:48 AM
cp

Will try! I'm going to try the simplest methods first, if they don't work I'll take the audi apart, find the rat and bash its brains
:-)

Old October 6th 05, 03:49 AM
cp

>>Hi,
>>
>>I've traced a number of serious problems I've had in my ol' 86 Audi to a rat living in the compartment between the windshield and
>>the firewall, underneath the plastic cover.

> Ah, that must be why modern cars come with cats.

If I could maybe find a vicious little kitten that'd fit behind the firewall...

cp