66 DISC BRAKE QUESTION

Old March 28th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
COBRA_GT350

Default 66 DISC BRAKE QUESTION

got a 66 with manual drum v8. Gonna do a disc conversion, I have the
K/H 4 piston calipers, mounting brackest, splash shileds, a big bowl
master cylnder.... Here is the question..
Stock rear drum.

What do I need for a combiination valve? Or is it a Prop valve? Or
just a dist block....or is there any invovled?

Let m eknow what you think would be the best route to go...

Thanks.... Cobra_gt350

Old March 28th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

COBRA_GT350 wrote:
> got a 66 with manual drum v8. Gonna do a disc conversion, I have the
> K/H 4 piston calipers, mounting brackest, splash shileds, a big bowl
> master cylnder.... Here is the question..
> Stock rear drum.
>
> What do I need for a combiination valve? Or is it a Prop valve? Or
> just a dist block....or is there any invovled?
>
> Let m eknow what you think would be the best route to go...
>
> Thanks.... Cobra_gt350

Call companies like Master Power Brakes or
Stainless Steel Brakes and a proportioning valve
specifically for that combo.
You can also use the dial type "proportioning
valve", which is really just a pressure reducer. It's
a lot cheaper and easier to install, but doesn't work
quite as well.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old March 29th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

My 65 came with manual disc front/drum rear, but over the years the
oem disc were scavenged. They were replaced with after market front
disc, with a dual reservoir and power (glad I added the power). I
stayed with the rear drums and for a daily driver, I am quite
satisfied leaving it that way.

A. Definitely you want the dual reservoir unless you are trying for
concours. It's a modern safety upgrade.

B. You only need the proportioning valve, and I highly recommend the
adjustable over the fixed. There are units which serve multi purpose
(proportioning and distro).

C. You can stay with rear drum and upgrade at some point in the future
if it's a money situation, or convert now. There are advantages to
staying with the rear drum, but much depends on how you intend to use
the car.

D. I didn't do it yet, but I would recommend upgrading the front brake
lines to steel braid due to some issues with rubbing/wear of the
rubber hoses.

On 28 Mar 2007 08:57:13 -0700, "COBRA_GT350" >
wrote:

>got a 66 with manual drum v8. Gonna do a disc conversion, I have the
>K/H 4 piston calipers, mounting brackest, splash shileds, a big bowl
>master cylnder.... Here is the question..
>Stock rear drum.
>
>What do I need for a combiination valve? Or is it a Prop valve? Or
>just a dist block....or is there any invovled?
>
>Let m eknow what you think would be the best route to go...
>
>Thanks.... Cobra_gt350

CJ Body lift question / Rear Disc Brake question / Bill H. ?????? Charles Ervin Jeep 13 February 5th 07 04:01 AM
68 disc brake conversion [email protected] Ford Mustang 8 October 2nd 06 03:27 PM
Disc Brake Rotors Armand Honda 3 July 31st 06 02:38 PM
Disc brake pads [email protected] Driving 0 April 1st 06 09:06 PM
Disc Brake Kit RhinoJockey VW air cooled 3 November 12th 04 04:31 PM