Brake light switch recall broken!

Old March 24th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Brake light switch recall broken!

I brought my 1999 Beetle in for the break light switch recall in late
2003. At the time my break light switch was working fine and had worked
fine for 4 years. A little over a year after replacing the recalled
switch, the new one failed! Dealership says I am past the part warranty
and make me pay over $150 to replace it! I called VWA to complain but
they held up dealer's decision. Wasn't the reason for the recall because
the part may fail? My original was fine but the replacement failed!
After calling, letter writing and months of waiting VWA finally informed
me they will not help me out. As much as I was to get the new GTI, they
lost a customer.

Old March 24th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I'm on my fourth brake light switch. I'm not sure but I think on the
recall, the dealer put in another of the same kind. The one I just put
in cost $13.00 plus tax from the dealer and looks somewaht different
than the other 3 (it's purple). The dealer I go to for parts gave me a
sheet with instructions.

All you have to do is remove the panel under the drivers legs (three
screws), then detach the wiring from the switch and twist it out. Your
dealer probably wants to scan it (standard procedure), this adds about
$90.00 to the bill.

Unfortunately, VWoA does not listen to customers and keeps selling cars
with the same problems.

My dealer wanted me to replace the transmission because of jerking. I
have a Vag-Com, reset the throttle body and cleaned it, replaced the
ATF and reset the transmission. Car runs great!

I don't think I'd look for a new VW because of reliability and the
awful warranty support (none - it's always the customers fault - abuse
of car: on falling windows? until they extended the warranty on them)
and customer service.

Great cars in an accident!

Old March 25th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

writes:

>I'm on my fourth brake light switch. I'm not sure but I think on the
>recall, the dealer put in another of the same kind. The one I just put
>in cost $13.00 plus tax from the dealer and looks somewaht different
>than the other 3 (it's purple). The dealer I go to for parts gave me a
>sheet with instructions.

>All you have to do is remove the panel under the drivers legs (three
>screws), then detach the wiring from the switch and twist it out. Your
>dealer probably wants to scan it (standard procedure), this adds about
>$90.00 to the bill.

Dealer gets $400/hour? :-)

In most later VW, they must not only scan, but also clear the
"Implausible signal" fault from the brake pedal switch to restore
performance. It could (not sure if this is the case) also affect the
brake assistant function.

The repair is incomplete without it.

>Unfortunately, VWoA does not listen to customers and keeps selling cars
>with the same problems.

They're not the only ones. I called a local dealer about the problem
and booked the car in for an appointment 3 days later. They didn't
have a switch in stock so it took another appointment to have the
switch fitted. But they left the fault in the engine controller so
probably didn't scan/reset faults and take the necessary test drive.

My VAG-COM cable arrived a few days later and the scan showed the
residual fault within 5 minutes. I cleared the fault and then
re-scanned a week later and got the all-clear.

>My dealer wanted me to replace the transmission because of jerking. I
>have a Vag-Com, reset the throttle body and cleaned it, replaced the
>ATF and reset the transmission. Car runs great!

They're not stupid. They just don't know what they're doing.

>I don't think I'd look for a new VW because of reliability and the
>awful warranty support (none - it's always the customers fault - abuse
>of car: on falling windows? until they extended the warranty on them)
>and customer service.

>Great cars in an accident!

Yeah... lots of explosives in the passenger compartment.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
X against HTML mail | they threaten."
/ \ and postings | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.