2001 300m passenger door handle(inside)

Old March 19th 05, 09:02 PM
Fiberman

Default 2001 300m passenger door handle(inside)

Chrome plating peeling off and is very sharp, in fact I cut my hand on it.
The dealer wants $140.00 to replace it. Seems like an awful lot to me, any
suggestions?

Old March 20th 05, 01:22 AM
Bill Putney

Fiberman wrote:
> Chrome plating peeling off and is very sharp, in fact I cut my hand on it.
> The dealer wants $140.00 to replace it. Seems like an awful lot to me, any
> suggestions?

Are they maybe saying they have to replace the whole door panel just to
get a new handle? I think I've seen posts on dodgeintrepid.net and the
300M Enthusiasts forums saying that, but also that if you're skillful,
you can get one out of a panel in a junk yard and figure out how to
reinstall it - the problem is that the pivot pin, rivet or whatever that
holds it in the panel, is not made to be serviced (removed/replaced),
but you can do it with a little ingenuity.

Another option would be to find the whole panel in good shape out of a
junk yard, but it would take a little luck to find one of the same
color, etc.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old March 20th 05, 08:03 PM
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Fiberman wrote:
> > Chrome plating peeling off and is very sharp, in fact I cut my hand on

it.
> > The dealer wants $140.00 to replace it. Seems like an awful lot to me,

any
> > suggestions?
> >

> Are they maybe saying they have to replace the whole door panel just to
> get a new handle? I think I've seen posts on dodgeintrepid.net and the
> 300M Enthusiasts forums saying that, but also that if you're skillful,
> you can get one out of a panel in a junk yard and figure out how to
> reinstall it - the problem is that the pivot pin, rivet or whatever that
> holds it in the panel, is not made to be serviced (removed/replaced),
> but you can do it with a little ingenuity.
>
> Another option would be to find the whole panel in good shape out of a
> junk yard, but it would take a little luck to find one of the same
> color, etc.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> adddress with the letter 'x')

The handles were part of the door panel at one time, now they are available
seperate, I beleive they were about 40.00, but dont quote me on it

SUBJECT:

Interior Front Door Handle/Bezel Replacement

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin provides information to allow replacement of interior front
door handle/bezel

instead of replacement of the door trim panel.

MODELS:

1998 - **2004** (LH) LHS/300M/Concorde/Intrepid

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

An interior front door handle/bezel requires replacement.

**PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

AR 05102832AA Handle/Bezel, Left, Intrepid, Agate, Trim Codes AZ or

D5

AR 05102833AA Handle/Bezel, Right, Intrepid, Agate, Trim Codes AZ or

D5

AR 05102834AA Handle/Bezel, Right, Intrepid, Dk Camel, Trim Code K9

AR 05102835AA Handle/Bezel, Left, Intrepid, Dk Camel, Trim Code K9

AR 05102836AA Handle/Bezel, Right, Intrepid, Dk Slate, Trim Code DV

AR 05102837AA Handle/Bezel, Right, Intrepid, Dk Sandstone, Trim Code

T5

AR 05102838AA Handle/Bezel, Right, Intrepid, Dk Taupe, Trim Code L5

AR 05102839AA Handle/Bezel, Left, Intrepid, Dk Slate, Trim Code DV

AR 05102840AA Handle/Bezel, Left, Intrepid, Dk Sandstone, Trim Code

T5

AR 05102841AA Handle/Bezel, Left, Intrepid, Dk Taupe, Trim Code L5

AR 05102842AA Handle/Bezel, Right, LHS/300, Agate, Trim Codes AZ or

NUMBE

Qty. Part No. Description

D5

AR 05102844AA Handle/Bezel, Left, LHS/300M, Agate, Trim Codes AZ or

D5

AR 05102845AA Handle/Bezel, Left, LHS/300M, Dk Camel, Trim Codes

K9 or FK

AR 05102846AA Handle/Bezel, Right, LHS/300M, Dk Camel, Trim Codes

K9 or FK

AR 05102847AA Handle/Bezel, Right, LHS/300M/Concorde Limited, Dk

Slate, Trim Codes DV, D2 or ZA

AR 05102849AA Handle/Bezel, Left, LHS/300M/Concorde Limited, Dk

Slate, Trim Codes DV, D2 or ZA

AR 05102850AA Handle/Bezel, Right, LHS/300M/Concorde Limited, Dk

Sandstone, Trim Code T5

AR 05102851AA Handle/Bezel, Left, LHS/300M/Concorde Limited, Dk

Sandstone, Trim Code T5

AR 05102852AA Handle/Bezel, Right, LHS/300M/Concorde Limited, Dk

Taupe, Trim Codes L5 or L2

AR 05102853AA Handle/Bezel, Left, LHS/300M/Concorde Limited, Dk

Taupe, Trim Codes L5 or L2

AR 05102854AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Left, Concorde, Agate, Color

Handle, Trim Codes AZ or D5

AR 05102855AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Right, Concorde, Agate, Color

Handle, Trim Codes AZ or D5

AR 05102856AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Left, Concorde, Dk Camel,

Color Handle, Trim Code K9

AR 05102857AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Right, Concorde, Dk Camel,

Color Handle, Trim Code K9

AR 05102858AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Right, Concorde, Dk Camel,

Chrome Handle, Trim Code K9

AR 05102859AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Left, Concorde, Dk Camel,

Chrome Handle, Trim Code K9

AR 05102860AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Right, Concorde, Agate,

Chrome Handle, Trim Codes AZ or D5

AR 05102861AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Left, Concorde, Agate,

Chrome Handle, Trim Codes AZ or D5

AR 05102862AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Left, Concorde, Dk Slate,

Chrome Handle, Trim Code DV

AR 05102863AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Right, Concorde, Dk Slate,

Chrome Handle, Trim Code DV

AR 05102864AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Left, Concorde, Dk

Sandstone, Chrome Handle, Trim Code T5

Qty. Part No. Description

AR 05102865AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Right, Concorde, Dk

Sandstone, Chrome Handle, Trim Code T5

AR 05102866AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Left, Concorde, Dk Taupe,

Chrome Handle, Trim Code L5

AR 05102867AA Handle/Bezel Woodgrain, Right, Concorde, Dk Taupe,

Chrome Handle, Trim Code L5

**

NOTE: Each kit contains one handle/bezel assembly, six pushnuts and an

instruction sheet.

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

NPN 21/64 in. (8.3mm) Drill Bit

REPAIR PROCEDU

1. Remove the front door trim panel using the procedures outlined on
TechCONNECT or

in Section 23 of the appropriate service manual.

2. After placing the door trim panel on a clean work surface, use a 21/64
in. drill bit to drill

out the mounting boss heat stakes that attach the existing door handle/bezel
to the

trim panel. Take extra care to drill in the center of each heat stake, (Fig.
1).

Fig. 1 DRILL 4 HEAT STAKES

3. Remove the existing handle/bezel from trim panel.

4. Clean the back of the trim panel of all plastic filings.

5. Seat the new handle/bezel into position.

6. Place the push nuts onto the handle/bezel bosses.

7. Use a 10mm socket to install the push nuts all the way down on the
mounting bosses

to secure the handle/bezel onto the door trim panel. Using a wiggling side
to side

motion may be helpful,

Old March 20th 05, 10:26 PM
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:
> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>
>>Fiberman wrote:
>>
>>>Chrome plating peeling off and is very sharp, in fact I cut my hand on

> it.
>
>>>The dealer wants $140.00 to replace it. Seems like an awful lot to me,

> any
>
>>>suggestions?
>>>

>>Are they maybe saying they have to replace the whole door panel just to
>>get a new handle? I think I've seen posts on dodgeintrepid.net and the
>>300M Enthusiasts forums saying that, but also that if you're skillful,
>>you can get one out of a panel in a junk yard and figure out how to
>>reinstall it - the problem is that the pivot pin, rivet or whatever that
>>holds it in the panel, is not made to be serviced (removed/replaced),
>>but you can do it with a little ingenuity.
>>
>>Another option would be to find the whole panel in good shape out of a
>>junk yard, but it would take a little luck to find one of the same
>>color, etc.
>>
>>Bill Putney
>>(To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>>adddress with the letter 'x')

> The handles were part of the door panel at one time, now they are available
> seperate, I beleive they were about 40.00, but dont quote me on it
>
> SUBJECT:
>
> Interior Front Door Handle/Bezel Replacement
>
> OVERVIEW:
>
> This bulletin provides information...

That's good news. Sounds like the $140 they were quoted uses this
replacement handle and includes the labor for the labor intensive
replacement work.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old March 23rd 05, 04:44 AM
Art

I didn't think you could get a door panel for $140.

Old March 23rd 05, 05:50 AM
The Commander

WARRANTY!!!! Be kewl with the service manager and they will
do it as "good will" towards the customers.
One thing I do is take my cars to the dealers and get my oil changed
when they send me cheap coupons... so when I have problems they
know me and do stuff for free for me.

. net...

Old March 23rd 05, 12:03 PM
Bill Putney

Art wrote:

> I didn't think you could get a door panel for $140.

You're right.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old March 23rd 05, 12:04 PM
Bill Putney

The Commander wrote:

> WARRANTY!!!! Be kewl with the service manager and they will
> do it as "good will" towards the customers.
> One thing I do is take my cars to the dealers and get my oil changed
> when they send me cheap coupons... so when I have problems they
> know me and do stuff for free for me.

And end up with stripped out oil pan drain plug threads? No thanks.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old March 23rd 05, 07:41 PM
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> The Commander wrote:
>
> > WARRANTY!!!! Be kewl with the service manager and they will
> > do it as "good will" towards the customers.
> > One thing I do is take my cars to the dealers and get my oil changed
> > when they send me cheap coupons... so when I have problems they
> > know me and do stuff for free for me.

> And end up with stripped out oil pan drain plug threads? No thanks.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> adddress with the letter 'x')

Bill are you saying that the dealers are the only ones that strip plugs??

Old March 23rd 05, 09:11 PM
Art

My Chrysler dealer has never stripped the threads changing oil. They have
spilled oil all over the place though and one time the smoke was so bad I
had to pull over and make sure the engine wasn't on fire.

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> The Commander wrote:
>
>> WARRANTY!!!! Be kewl with the service manager and they will
>> do it as "good will" towards the customers.
>> One thing I do is take my cars to the dealers and get my oil changed
>> when they send me cheap coupons... so when I have problems they
>> know me and do stuff for free for me.

> And end up with stripped out oil pan drain plug threads? No thanks.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> adddress with the letter 'x')

Analogies, trains and FIRST-Racing... Tony Rickard Simulators 50 April 4th 05 04:38 AM
"Al Qaeda" does not exist Awake BMW 64 March 10th 05 12:25 PM
Flasher ? for 2001 up/Led Taillights Intergate Jeep 7 February 15th 05 08:00 PM
2001 Ford Mustang - Passenger Window Lewis Ford Mustang 0 November 28th 04 12:41 AM