98 camry wooing sound left rear wheel at 50-60mph???

Old July 24th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
vic[_1_]

Default 98 camry wooing sound left rear wheel at 50-60mph???

I have a 98 Camry with 100,000 miles on it.
For the last month or so have been noticing a sound best described as a
low wooooing sound coming from th right rear wheel when traveling at
appr 50 to 60 mph. Don't hear it below or above those speeds. What is
the probable cause of this noise?

Old July 24th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Cupped tire or bad wheel bearing.
oups.com...

Old July 24th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"vic" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 98 Camry with 100,000 miles on it.
> For the last month or so have been noticing a sound best described as a
> low wooooing sound coming from th right rear wheel when traveling at
> appr 50 to 60 mph. Don't hear it below or above those speeds. What is
> the probable cause of this noise?

I am ammazed that you can tell that the noise is comming from the right rear
at that speed. Most people could not. But, it sure will make it a lot easier
to diagnose the problem. It could be either the wheel bearing or the tire
causing the noise, so if you rotate the tire from the rear to the front and
the noise means in the rear then it has to be the bearing.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 24th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ken[_3_]

vic wrote:
> I have a 98 Camry with 100,000 miles on it.
> For the last month or so have been noticing a sound best described as a
> low wooooing sound coming from th right rear wheel when traveling at
> appr 50 to 60 mph. Don't hear it below or above those speeds. What is
> the probable cause of this noise?

In the title you mentioned the left rear wheel and in the description
the right rear wheel. Is the sound noticeable on both wheels?
Are the tires in good condition for both age and tread-life?
Could need new tires.
Could need just a rotate and balance of all tires. (be sure that the
rebalance starts with zero weights on each wheel both inside and
outside edges)
At 100,000 miles have you had an alignment performed at least once?
In addition to the noise has your MPG dropped?
Not sure for the Camry but could the sound be coming from the center of
the vehicle indicating the differential needs service or replacement?
It could also be a bearing(s).
Just keep in mind that without a certified technician performing a
driveability test and visual inspection we can only speculate as to the
nature of what could be causing the sound and that anytime there is
unordinary sounds from the vehicle it clearly indicates someting on the
vehicle is not functioning properly. If you believe it to be the tires
or bearings have it inspected immediately at a trustworthy shop.
Would you run a marathon in bare feet or a sprained
ankle.......probably not.........so do not expect your car to drive
with a malfunctioning part.

Old July 24th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ken[_3_]

Old July 24th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Ken" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Kevin wrote:
>> "vic" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >I have a 98 Camry with 100,000 miles on it.
>> > For the last month or so have been noticing a sound best described as a
>> > low wooooing sound coming from th right rear wheel when traveling at
>> > appr 50 to 60 mph. Don't hear it below or above those speeds. What is
>> > the probable cause of this noise?

>> I am ammazed that you can tell that the noise is comming from the right
>> rear
>> at that speed. Most people could not. But, it sure will make it a lot
>> easier
>> to diagnose the problem. It could be either the wheel bearing or the tire
>> causing the noise, so if you rotate the tire from the rear to the front
>> and
>> the noise means in the rear then it has to be the bearing.
>> --
>> Kevin Mouton
>> Automotive Technology Instructor
>> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
>> Red Green
>>
>> I am a bit surprised that you gave a solution that definatively arrived
>> at a wheel bearing diagnosis without the possiblities of it being the
>> tire condition, an alignment, or even the differential. I am sure there
>> are even more off the wall possiblities like a loose caliper or boot
>> causing a harmonic resination to name a couple. The industry needs
>> assistance from industry leaders in providing adequate information to the
>> motoring public. If the Camry owner has in his mind that it can only be
>> the tire or the bearing, he will proceed to eliminate the tire possiblity
>> on his own and then continue to the shop and tell a certified technician
>> to change the rear wheel bearings. Most shops are geared to give the
>> customer what they ask for and when it does not fix the problem it is the
>> shop's faulty workmanship and the customer that got ripped off. A well
>> managed shop would tell this customer that a proper diagnosis needs to be
>> performed first because it may not be the bearing, at which point the
>> customer will leave because he already knows that it is the bearing
>> because an Automotive Instructor said so. It is a losing proposition all
>> the way around and reinforces the current mis-perception that the
>> motoring public will be sold more service or repair than what they
>> actually need from the shop. So after declining all the recommended work
>> to keep the car safe and dependable the car will then have a higher
>> percentage of breaking down at which point the customer will once again
>> have a negative impression about the shop that "fixes" their car, quite
>> often forgetting that there were previously recommended service and/or
>> repairs.

Hey, you are not the one asking for free advise over the internet. I did not
solicit your request.
Who pushed your button, Get off your high horse and re- read what I said. I
did mention the tire as a possible cause. First I mentioned that I was
amazed that the OP could tell where the noise was coming from. You and
anyone else should be able to understand that means I was leaving the
diagnosis entirely up to the information he provided, and if he was mistaken
then he should realize that it is his error not mine or anyone else's. Every
thing here is just a best guess and he should know that. If he is right and
the noise is from the right rear wheel and nowhere else, then that only
leaves the tire or bearing rotating at speed in that area and therefore they
would be the most likely sources of the problem. Any other components
including the differential would not be suspect if the noise is coming from
where HE said it was. I already indicated that there was reason to doubt
that he could be sure of that.
Also, this is after all an internet forum where people ask questions and
discuss possibilities. Certainly no one believes that you or I or anyone
else could magically know all the unseen and unheard problems lurking behind
their request. Any one who would count on the information here as the God's
only possible solution to their problem should have their head examined
anyway. Furthermore, I can and do make mistakes and since this free advice
is just a hobby (I hope every one else knows this) I give the best quick
advice I can and move on to the next post without grave concern over weather
or not there might be some other diagnosis available under different
circumstances. I agree that if a customer showed up in my shop asking for
service I would not send him out the door with a quick response. How is
using this forum comparable to that and why should any customer feel
otherwise? If anyone is fool enough to question a shops service
recommendations based on some reply to an ill stated request for help on the
internet, then they are hopeless anyway. Besides, If I get only 1 out of 2
guesses right ,then that is still at least a thousand times more helpful
posts than I have seen from you. But, just to make you happy I will concede
that in some cases (especially where I can determine the person posing a
question is clueless) I should include a disclaimer that there is no way for
me to tell over the internet exactly what could be wrong with their vehicle.
This is so you won't be so disappointed with the results if it turns out I
was wrong due to lack of information and a hasty reply..

Old July 25th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ken[_3_]

Kevin,
Did not mean for it to sound like I was on a high horse and for
that I do apologize. The truth is that a considerable percentage of
the motoring public fears the rapair shop and seeks advise from the
internet. When the advise given arrives at a definate conclusion (even
if justifiable by the information provided) it will reinforce the fear
of getting ripped off when a service dealers diagnosis is anything to
the contrary even if the service dealer is the expert.

Old July 25th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Ken" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Kevin,
> Did not mean for it to sound like I was on a high horse and for
> that I do apologize. The truth is that a considerable percentage of
> the motoring public fears the rapair shop and seeks advise from the
> internet. When the advise given arrives at a definate conclusion (even
> if justifiable by the information provided) it will reinforce the fear
> of getting ripped off when a service dealers diagnosis is anything to
> the contrary even if the service dealer is the expert.

I totally agree on the motoring public's impression of automotive repair
shops. Unfortunately, it is a reputation that is all to often true. It goes
deeper than just repair shops or friendly advice, and I blame the
manufacturers for the problems they have created out of greed and ignorance.
Just so you understand that I offer advice only, and it is in a forum that
people should realize is not a place to get all the information they need to
make their final decisions concerning their vehicles. There are bound to be
those who are not savvy enough to even be using this forum for their needs,
but I do make my best effort to be helpful to the extent that I can. It has
never been my intention to give anyone the impression that my advice is
better than that of a reputable repair shop. However, I do not feel that I
am responsible for the way people feel about repair shops and there is
little I can do here to change that perception one way or the other. Thanks
for your reply and rest assured that there are no hard feelings on my part.

How about this? <grin>

Disclaimer:
Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly
guesswork,
please do not consider the above recommendations as the only possible
solutions.

Cylinder bank numbering Dean Dark BMW 40 July 19th 06 07:16 PM
2001 Accord - left rear caliper sticking George Earl Honda 0 October 15th 05 10:09 PM
Rear wheel lockup---2000 Neon T. McRae Dodge 6 May 8th 04 09:41 AM