Disk Imaging Software

Old April 18th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Disk Imaging Software

I've done a complete 'hot image' and had to restore it with Ghost 10 - zero problems.

Wag
"Don Burnette" > wrote in message ...
Steve Simpson wrote:
>> Is there a recommendation for the software to do this? Norton Ghost
>> 10 and True Image 9.0 seem to the be most frequently mentioned
>> titles. Any upside/downside to these programs that anyone wants to
>> comment on?

> Ghost 2003 was the last reliable version of Ghost. The newer ones
> are just rebadged Powerquest Driveimage which runs in Windows and
> hence aren't anywhere near as reliable.

I have not had any issues using Drive Image 7, and I have used it to
restore a working image.
Perhaps I just got lucky...

--
Don Burnette

Old April 18th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Larry:

What is "SecureZone?

What do you mean by "base" and "Full images"? I am guessing "Base" is
the original install and the "full" are the incremental images?

I like the recover time....

Old April 18th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Most software works as advertised. 90% plus of the service calls Ive done over the last 15+ years are "user errors/issues" not the software's fault. Some people "think" they are smarter than they are and that usually spells more trouble than the un-assuming fellow that acually RTFM

Ive used Ghost and Drive image for years but I prefer Drive Image. Each has changed drastically over the years as corporate ownership changes and technology advances move ever forward.

True Image sounds interesting though and I may give it a shot sometime soon as well..

Mitch

Old April 18th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

With Acronis TrueImage you have an option of setting aside a chunk of hard
drive space as a hidden partition to store images.

When you boot your system, you hit F11 and it brings up a Linux (I believe)
based core-version of TrueImage, and you have the option of Imaging,
restoring, etc... without ever having to boot to windows, use a CD or a
floppy.

You can write this image to the SecureZone, another local drive, a network
drive, etc...

TrueImages support of Networks is the best I've seen. It actuall WORKS!

When I set up a computer I do the following:

1. Install the OS, all updates and drivers for base hardware until I have a
green-board in the device manager.
2. At this point I image the machine. This is my base image.
3. Then I load up all the apps, utilities, games, etc...
4. Then I image the machine. This is the full image.

My monthly running images go to the SecureZone, but every other month I send
it to the server instead in case of a hard drive failure, which would also
take out the SecureZone obviously.

I store no data on my C drive. It's all stored on a separate D drive. This
way I can re-image without fear of data lost. There are one or two programs
that stupidly save their data in the program folder, but nothing I can't
live without as I manually back those up at a regular interval. The D drive
is backed up to my RAID-5 file server as needed, and important documents are
burned to DVD as needed for extra security.

-Larry

oups.com...

Old April 18th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Can the SecureZone be another physical hard drive? Or does it have to
be on the same drive as the program itself?

I'd like to do exactly as you laid out in points 1-4, but store the
images on a 2nd HDD in my box, for security. I may also burn a DVD
image (this is possible also, right?) as EXTRA, EXTRA security. I would
then do monthly backups as normal.

Thanks so much for the replies, the info is quite valuable.

Old April 19th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

You know, I'm not sure

-Larry

oups.com...

Old April 21st 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

which version you got larry, looks like there's home, workstation, and the
500 & 1000 buck server/enterprise versions???

Larry enlightened us with:

Old April 21st 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I use the home version.

The other versions are for corporate environments where images may need to
be pushed to workstations.

-Larry

Old April 21st 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

A second hard drive is a lot cheaper than the software
packages, and if you create multiple partitions, you
can just back up partitions.

Installing a 2nd copy of your OS on another partition
will allow you to back up your primary OS partition.

Old April 21st 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

You can't drag-copy an operating system like Windows

TrueImage is like $49.

-Larry

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
>A second hard drive is a lot cheaper than the software
> packages, and if you create multiple partitions, you
> can just back up partitions.
>
> Installing a 2nd copy of your OS on another partition
> will allow you to back up your primary OS partition.

AWA [OFFER] CUMMINS INSITE 6.3A DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE AND CODES [email protected] General 0 January 15th 06 10:51 PM
VAG-COM - CORRECT SOFTWARE AND DRIVERS RickT Audi 3 September 8th 05 08:02 PM
New Jetta rear disk backplate Gilles VW water cooled 3 September 5th 05 04:19 PM
OBD-II Software mick Alfa Romeo 11 November 13th 04 12:57 PM
BMW CARSOFT DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE BestAutoScientist BMW 0 November 8th 04 08:02 PM