Seat foam removal on M2 Miata?

Old March 21st 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Seat foam removal on M2 Miata?

I have a 2003 Mazda Miata with cloth seats. No problem with the height,
but I need about an extra inch/inch and a half of addt'l leg room. I
have seen many internet posts relating to foam removal on Miata seats.
Some instructions have been as simple as the following:

What you need:
A bag of zip ties (use the big ones)
Socket wrench
Wire cutters (or a dremel or tinsnips)

How to do it: You'll be happiest working outside the car. Pull the
seat
by removing the four bolts (I think they're 11mm). Use the
quick-disconnect in the headrest speaker wire if your car's got them.
Take
the seat out of the car, and lean the seatback all the way forward.
You'll
find three hog rings holding the front panel of the upholstery to the
back
panel at the bottom end of the seatback. Cut the hog rings. The foam
panel is held to the cloth panel by a series of steel hog rings that
will
need to be cut. (I used a dremel, but tin snips or wire cutters would
be
fine). The panel comes out intact, and if for whatever reason you
wanted
to replace it, you'd simply have to put it back into the seat and
zip-tie
it into place. Reaffix the front panel to the back panel with zipties
and
reinstall the seat.

Other instructions speak of having to use an electric knife and "shave"
the foam off. Is there a difference in terms of the foam removal
between the first Miata body style and the M2? Are the iinstructions
listed above accurate as to how to remove the foam seat backing on an
M2? It appears pretty simple...is it?

Thanks for any advice!

Old March 22nd 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Wow, 1 to 1-1/2" is allot to gain! Most all the seat foam posts I've read
referred to adding head room. If this doesn't work out for you keep in mind
that another year miata seats may work better. If you're in a local club or
even if you're not, I'm sure if there is one around you, you could crash a
meeting and get a shot at trying out a few different years seats.

Keep us posted on your result eh?

Chris
99BBB

oups.com...