If you dont like GTR you wont like GTL

Old August 18th 05, 06:10 AM
jason moyer

Alan Bernardo wrote:

> I've driven one of these Corvettes, and they do drive like trucks. At least
> the one I drove was extremely heavy and moved almost as one, very heavily.
> Either my memory has failed me, but don't these older cars drive like this?

I would expect more wheel spin with a locked power side than you get in
the game (I've been running with 80% power, 20% coast) but overall I
think the physics in the GTL demo feel "more real" to me than GTR. I
made a joke about trading in cars that porpoise for cars that
dumptruck, but in my experience old stingrays push like hell without
the throttle down.

Old August 18th 05, 06:47 AM

jason moyer wrote:
> Remco Moedt wrote:
>
> > But still...it's no GPL..... :-P

> GPL is no GTP or RBR.

or LFS. :P

Old August 18th 05, 08:47 AM
Bruce Kennewell

Well, after having bought and played GTR I ended up "not liking" it after
several weeks.
I don't know why...things that I can't really put my finger on but as a
complete package I couldn't get into it.

The GTL demo has been downloaded and run for an hour or so and, like it's
cousin, it doesn't grab me.
Enjoyable as it is to throw a Corvette around, or a Lotus Elan, I am being
influenced against buying the full package by the gameplay aspect, where
there are the arcade-like features such as unlocking additional cars.

In addition, I was hoping that this would be a retro-type game, along the
lines of GPL, where we would be taken back to not only the cars of the
1960's/1970's, but also the circuits of that era.
To discover that the complete package is only centred on the FIA's European
historical retrospective is disappointing for me.

Oh well....back to GPL and GP3 with the 1970's add-ons!

BK

Old August 19th 05, 09:24 AM
Mr. Sylvestre

jason moyer wrote:

> GPL is no GTP or RBR.

An heretic ! Quick, to the stake !

Mr. Sylvestre
Old August 19th 05, 09:57 AM
Mr. Sylvestre

Ditto here. I am not too fond of the car unlocking and
old-cars-on-modern-tracks stuff either.

Also the default handling of these cars isn't that fun, IMHO. Tuning
them for more oversteer improves things a bit. But not to the level of
the Escort Mod.

I didn't expect too much from the Corvette, but the Elan is a
disappointement. Now, I never sat in a Lotus Elan or a Corvette, but I
own a 1967 MGB and have been a passenger in a Type E. While I love a
relaxing drive in my MG, I don't think that even with a stiffer
suspension it would be really fun on a circuit. Maybe the real test for
GTL will come when we can drive something like the AC Cobra.

If Simbin releases GTL with the old Spa and Nurburgring tracks, then I
am sold. If it goes along the lines of the Demo, then I'll wait for the
game to appear in the bargain bin. Meanwhile, I still have RBR, GPL and
the Escort Mod

Regards,
Mr. Sylvestre
Old August 19th 05, 03:08 PM
Dan Leach

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Dan Leach wrote:
>> How do you get split axis to work on this demo? (Logi momo)

> Have you tried clicking on "throttle" and pressing your throttle, then
> clicking "brake" and pressing your brake?

Fixed it, it was forgetting my settings when i moved screens. Its ok now

Old August 23rd 05, 05:27 PM
Eldred Pickett

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:07:48 -0400, "Alan Bernardo"
> wrote:

>Is it simply that some are so stuck on GPL, that there's no room for
>anything else? (Responses to this query will give me the answer.)

Probably, but I wouldn't expect anyone to admit it...<g>

Eldred
Old August 23rd 05, 05:29 PM
Eldred Pickett

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:47:56 +1000, "Bruce Kennewell"
> wrote:

>Enjoyable as it is to throw a Corvette around, or a Lotus Elan, I am being
>influenced against buying the full package by the gameplay aspect, where
>there are the arcade-like features such as unlocking additional cars.

Unlocking?!? Gads, I *hate* that 'feature'... That means that some
people may have to cheat to get all the cars they've paid for. I
certainly HOPE there are cheat codes available...

Eldred
Old August 24th 05, 05:28 PM
Larry

I hate it too. Give me all of what I paid for!

This only make sense in games where you graduate from one series to the
next.

-Larry