Strange noise from Scion tC

Old May 9th 11, 04:58 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Default Strange noise from Scion tC

2005 Scion tC with Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder VVTi.

First-third gears, no sounds, no problems. When I hit 4th gear and press
the gas, there is a noise from the front of the car that is best described
as putting a playing card in the spokes of you bicycle. I heard it when I
was 'sort of' lugging the engine, but it didn't go away as the RiPpeMS
climbed.

At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but it only occurs in 4th gear.
Even in third, I can stomp it, no sound. Only in 4th.

Old May 9th 11, 04:26 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> 2005 Scion tC with Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder VVTi.
>
> First-third gears, no sounds, no problems. When I hit 4th gear and press
> the gas, there is a noise from the front of the car that is best described
> as putting a playing card in the spokes of you bicycle. I heard it when I
> was 'sort of' lugging the engine, but it didn't go away as the RiPpeMS
> climbed.
>
> At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but it only occurs in 4th gear.
> Even in third, I can stomp it, no sound. Only in 4th.

So, now this is an automotive group? Sheesh!

Noises that come during the selection of one gear, but not any of the others
would have me looking for a diagram of the internals of the transmission. I
once (long long ago in a galaxy far far away) correctly diagnosed a broken
tooth in a Ford 3-spd transmission.

Old May 9th 11, 10:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> 2005 Scion tC with Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder VVTi.
>>
>> First-third gears, no sounds, no problems. When I hit 4th gear and press
>> the gas, there is a noise from the front of the car that is best described
>> as putting a playing card in the spokes of you bicycle. I heard it when I
>> was 'sort of' lugging the engine, but it didn't go away as the RiPpeMS
>> climbed.
>>
>> At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but it only occurs in 4th gear.
>> Even in third, I can stomp it, no sound. Only in 4th.
>>

> So, now this is an automotive group? Sheesh!
>
> Noises that come during the selection of one gear, but not any of the others
> would have me looking for a diagram of the internals of the transmission. I
> once (long long ago in a galaxy far far away) correctly diagnosed a broken
> tooth in a Ford 3-spd transmission.

Spark knock ?
Old May 9th 11, 11:01 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"FatterDumber& Happier Moe" > wrote in
message . ..
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>>> 2005 Scion tC with Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder VVTi.
>>>
>>> First-third gears, no sounds, no problems. When I hit 4th gear and press
>>> the gas, there is a noise from the front of the car that is best
>>> described
>>> as putting a playing card in the spokes of you bicycle. I heard it when
>>> was 'sort of' lugging the engine, but it didn't go away as the RiPpeMS
>>> climbed.
>>>
>>> At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but it only occurs in 4th
>>> gear.
>>> Even in third, I can stomp it, no sound. Only in 4th.
>>>

>> So, now this is an automotive group? Sheesh!
>>
>> Noises that come during the selection of one gear, but not any of the
>> others would have me looking for a diagram of the internals of the
>> transmission. I once (long long ago in a galaxy far far away) correctly
>> diagnosed a broken tooth in a Ford 3-spd transmission.
>>

> Spark knock ?

My dad's Ford truck broke a gear. It was a sharp knock.

I'd like to think that you could not break gears in your tC, but any noise
that comes from only one gear means you have to consider a broken
transmission.

Old May 24th 11, 06:17 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_3_]

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> 2005 Scion tC with Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder VVTi.
>
> First-third gears, no sounds, no problems. When I hit 4th gear and press
> the gas, there is a noise from the front of the car that is best described
> as putting a playing card in the spokes of you bicycle. I heard it when I
> was 'sort of' lugging the engine, but it didn't go away as the RiPpeMS
> climbed.
>
> At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but it only occurs in 4th gear.
> Even in third, I can stomp it, no sound. Only in 4th.

I could give you my standard "noises, vibration, and harshness are difficult
to diagnose without experiencing them first hand" sermon...

Jeff is kind of thinking along the correct path to diagnosis except that
broken gear teeth with no other problems in a constant mesh transmission are
as rare as hen's teeth. I have looked at a lot of broken transmissions,
including abused transmissions, and have never seen a broken gear tooth that
wasn't caused by something else in the transmission breaking and getting
caught in the gears.

If you have a manual transmission and the noise is actually coming from the
transmission and not elsewhere in the drivetrain, then I'd start by checking
the transmission fluid level. Try altering the pressure on the shift lever
to see if the noise changes. Do you drive with your arm resting on the
shift lever? Bicycle card sounds can be caused by the teeth on the synchro
ring touching something, most often caused by the driver leaning on the
shifter all the time, which wears the shift forks, which create a little
slop in shifting. The problem usually shows up in the gear that is used
most.

--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old May 24th 11, 05:38 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Tue, 24 May 2011 00:17:33 -0500, Ray O wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> 2005 Scion tC with Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder VVTi.
>>
>> First-third gears, no sounds, no problems. When I hit 4th gear and press
>> the gas, there is a noise from the front of the car that is best described
>> as putting a playing card in the spokes of you bicycle. I heard it when I
>> was 'sort of' lugging the engine, but it didn't go away as the RiPpeMS
>> climbed.
>>
>> At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but it only occurs in 4th gear.
>> Even in third, I can stomp it, no sound. Only in 4th.
>>

> I could give you my standard "noises, vibration, and harshness are difficult
> to diagnose without experiencing them first hand" sermon...
>
> Jeff is kind of thinking along the correct path to diagnosis except that
> broken gear teeth with no other problems in a constant mesh transmission are
> as rare as hen's teeth. I have looked at a lot of broken transmissions,
> including abused transmissions, and have never seen a broken gear tooth that
> wasn't caused by something else in the transmission breaking and getting
> caught in the gears.
>
> If you have a manual transmission and the noise is actually coming from the
> transmission and not elsewhere in the drivetrain, then I'd start by checking
> the transmission fluid level. Try altering the pressure on the shift lever
> to see if the noise changes. Do you drive with your arm resting on the
> shift lever? Bicycle card sounds can be caused by the teeth on the synchro
> ring touching something, most often caused by the driver leaning on the
> shifter all the time, which wears the shift forks, which create a little
> slop in shifting. The problem usually shows up in the gear that is used
> most.

I try not to rest my hand on the lever, I have heard of this condition
before. I'll have to check to make sure. About the only time I leave my
hand on the lever is if I think I will either be downshifiting to 3rd or
upshifting to 5th SOON.

The sound happens in 4th gear, ~2200-2500 RPM, and then goes away when
~40MPH is reached and I let off the accelerator, or above 2500RPM or so.

I was thinking lugging, but the damn thing is geared so low you can be at
1500RPM and tromp it and be off to the races!

Old May 31st 11, 05:21 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_3_]

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 May 2011 00:17:33 -0500, Ray O wrote:
>

>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>>> 2005 Scion tC with Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder VVTi.
>>>
>>> First-third gears, no sounds, no problems. When I hit 4th gear and press
>>> the gas, there is a noise from the front of the car that is best
>>> described
>>> as putting a playing card in the spokes of you bicycle. I heard it when
>>> was 'sort of' lugging the engine, but it didn't go away as the RiPpeMS
>>> climbed.
>>>
>>> At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but it only occurs in 4th
>>> gear.
>>> Even in third, I can stomp it, no sound. Only in 4th.
>>>

>> I could give you my standard "noises, vibration, and harshness are
>> difficult
>> to diagnose without experiencing them first hand" sermon...
>>
>> Jeff is kind of thinking along the correct path to diagnosis except that
>> broken gear teeth with no other problems in a constant mesh transmission
>> are
>> as rare as hen's teeth. I have looked at a lot of broken transmissions,
>> including abused transmissions, and have never seen a broken gear tooth
>> that
>> wasn't caused by something else in the transmission breaking and getting
>> caught in the gears.
>>
>> If you have a manual transmission and the noise is actually coming from
>> the
>> transmission and not elsewhere in the drivetrain, then I'd start by
>> checking
>> the transmission fluid level. Try altering the pressure on the shift
>> lever
>> to see if the noise changes. Do you drive with your arm resting on the
>> shift lever? Bicycle card sounds can be caused by the teeth on the
>> synchro
>> ring touching something, most often caused by the driver leaning on the
>> shifter all the time, which wears the shift forks, which create a little
>> slop in shifting. The problem usually shows up in the gear that is used
>> most.

> I try not to rest my hand on the lever, I have heard of this condition
> before. I'll have to check to make sure. About the only time I leave my
> hand on the lever is if I think I will either be downshifiting to 3rd or
> upshifting to 5th SOON.
>
> The sound happens in 4th gear, ~2200-2500 RPM, and then goes away when
> ~40MPH is reached and I let off the accelerator, or above 2500RPM or so.
>
> I was thinking lugging, but the damn thing is geared so low you can be at
> 1500RPM and tromp it and be off to the races!

That doesn't sound like a transmission noise. I'm thinking that something
is touching at just the right torque. How many miles on the engine?

Old May 31st 11, 11:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 30 May 2011 23:21:03 -0500, Ray O wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

>>> I could give you my standard "noises, vibration, and harshness are
>>> difficult
>>> to diagnose without experiencing them first hand" sermon...
>>>
>>> Jeff is kind of thinking along the correct path to diagnosis except that
>>> broken gear teeth with no other problems in a constant mesh transmission
>>> are
>>> as rare as hen's teeth. I have looked at a lot of broken transmissions,
>>> including abused transmissions, and have never seen a broken gear tooth
>>> that
>>> wasn't caused by something else in the transmission breaking and getting
>>> caught in the gears.
>>>
>>> If you have a manual transmission and the noise is actually coming from
>>> the
>>> transmission and not elsewhere in the drivetrain, then I'd start by
>>> checking
>>> the transmission fluid level. Try altering the pressure on the shift
>>> lever
>>> to see if the noise changes. Do you drive with your arm resting on the
>>> shift lever? Bicycle card sounds can be caused by the teeth on the
>>> synchro
>>> ring touching something, most often caused by the driver leaning on the
>>> shifter all the time, which wears the shift forks, which create a little
>>> slop in shifting. The problem usually shows up in the gear that is used
>>> most.

>> I try not to rest my hand on the lever, I have heard of this condition
>> before. I'll have to check to make sure. About the only time I leave my
>> hand on the lever is if I think I will either be downshifiting to 3rd or
>> upshifting to 5th SOON.
>>
>> The sound happens in 4th gear, ~2200-2500 RPM, and then goes away when
>> ~40MPH is reached and I let off the accelerator, or above 2500RPM or so.
>>
>> I was thinking lugging, but the damn thing is geared so low you can be at
>> 1500RPM and tromp it and be off to the races!
>>

> That doesn't sound like a transmission noise. I'm thinking that something
> is touching at just the right torque. How many miles on the engine?

33,444. On the nose!

Strange Noise mike3 Technology 11 September 23rd 08 01:33 PM
Strange noise Bigusdickus Ford Explorer 1 May 28th 08 05:32 PM
97' Wrangler Strange Noise.. Help? [email protected] Jeep 8 October 8th 07 09:36 PM
Strange Slurping Noise Mark Sparge Ford Explorer 3 April 17th 07 11:36 AM
Strange noise Z’RiX Corvette 8 December 7th 05 01:24 PM