buying advice

Old October 3rd 08, 08:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Neil[_7_]

Default buying advice

I am looking at buying a 1990 Golf 1800 Automatic on wednesday. Has anybody
experience of the auto boxes on these cars, ie longevity etc. Its done
77,000 miles from new, with a full service history etc. How many miles can
be expected from the autoboxes? etc ( Its been owned by an elderly couple,
so does low mileage, and hopefully sensible driving help it last longer)?
etc

Cheers

Neil

Old October 3rd 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

As long as the fluids are proper they can last quite awhile. :-)

If the diff fluid is low or gone............another trans will be needed
usually!

Old October 4th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_4_]

It's like a lotto ticket... sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.

Old October 4th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

yeah but with a lotto ticket you expect to lose your dollar and hope you
win! ;-)

. ..

Old October 4th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

RUN AWAY
SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig

Old October 4th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

Great find!
Old October 5th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
TBerk

Neil wrote:
> I am looking at buying a 1990 Golf 1800 Automatic on wednesday. Has anybody
> experience of the auto boxes on these cars, ie longevity etc. Its done
> 77,000 miles from new, with a full service history etc. How many miles can
> be expected from the autoboxes? etc ( Its been owned by an elderly couple,
> so does low mileage, and hopefully sensible driving help it last longer)?
> etc
>
> Cheers
>
> Neil

The main trouble VWs have had from early on was a leaky seal between the
Auto fluid and the normal gear oil in the transaxle.

If the seal isn't leaking inside then other than abuse you should be OK.

TBerk
Old October 6th 08, 09:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Neil[_7_]

> The main trouble VWs have had from early on was a leaky seal between the
> Auto fluid and the normal gear oil in the transaxle.
>
> If the seal isn't leaking inside then other than abuse you should be OK.
>

> TBerk

Thanks for all the comments. Hope to pick it up tuesday and it will be
driven over 100 miles on Motorways etc back home. Seems genuine, all
original etc and couldnt have hoped for a better example. Was worried that
it hadnt been used enough. Its 19 years old and I have had one vehicle that
did more miles than "it" has in its first year. All will become clear
tommorow. I will report back. I still think its a lucky find for £500

Neil

Old October 8th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Neil[_7_]

> Thanks for all the comments. Hope to pick it up tuesday and it will be
> driven over 100 miles on Motorways etc back home. Seems genuine, all
> original etc and couldnt have hoped for a better example. Was worried that
> it hadnt been used enough. Its 19 years old and I have had one vehicle
> that did more miles than "it" has in its first year. All will become clear
> tommorow. I will report back. I still think its a lucky find for £500
>
> Neil

Well....What can I say...It drove like new.....so smooth we had trouble
working out what gear it was in sometimes.
easily did over 100mph with no effort (oops....I mean...er....70, as thats
the limit of course) and everything works except 1 brakelight out. Hopefully
just a bulb...so all round a very happy chappy at moment. service history
is meticulous, and has had cam belt and tensioner done recently. Only other
thing i found whilst bringing her/him back was the remote mirror handle/plug
thing pulled off on passenger side whilst adjusting mirror. All in all a
bloody good buy, and should give years of service. I will give it a good
going over thursday though.

drives like a new car, if not better.....than some....

Neil

Old October 8th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Good show Neil!! ;-)

Enjoy!

buying advice SnoMan 4x4 0 May 18th 05 07:36 PM
advice on car buying G General 9 April 14th 05 07:06 PM
Any advice on buying an A6 henry Audi 2 February 17th 05 11:40 AM
A4 1.8T buying advice please Jon E Audi 13 August 11th 04 10:46 AM
advice on buying an A4 adam Audi 1 July 20th 04 05:43 PM