Rock climbing in a Baja anyone?

Old September 8th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Default Rock climbing in a Baja anyone?

Had a great weekend testing the new tires on the back of my Baja. Super
Swamper TSL Radials, 30/10.50-15's...

These tires really rock.

First test was this rock that looked like it should have a Bug crawling
on it... This was Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmHOaSEJyU

Went back out today and did it again. These 2 videos are of the same
run, one from in front and one from behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTW310dSDx8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xajP33zHNz8

We didn't get any video of me taking it up one of the best hills out on
these trails. Next time out, I'll make sure we get video of that.

Les
'76 Baja
'78 Type 2
Old September 9th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Shag

On Sep 7, 10:08 pm, Project Magnet #1 >
wrote:
> Had a great weekend testing the new tires on the back of my Baja. Super
> Swamper TSL Radials, 30/10.50-15's...
>
> These tires really rock.
>
> First test was this rock that looked like it should have a Bug crawling
> on it... This was Saturday.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmHOaSEJyU
>
> Went back out today and did it again. These 2 videos are of the same
> run, one from in front and one from behind.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTW310dSDx8
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xajP33zHNz8
>
> We didn't get any video of me taking it up one of the best hills out on
> these trails. Next time out, I'll make sure we get video of that.
>
> Les
> '76 Baja
> '78 Type 2

Hey, looks like fun. Thanks for sharing. Makes me miss my old baja.
Now I gotta give you a little sh!t about the first video, though... I
know you said rock "crawling" but... The gas pedal's the one on the
right, dude. ;-)

Old September 9th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Shag wrote:
> On Sep 7, 10:08 pm, Project Magnet #1 >
> wrote:
>> Had a great weekend testing the new tires on the back of my Baja. Super
>> Swamper TSL Radials, 30/10.50-15's...
>>
>> These tires really rock.
>>
>> First test was this rock that looked like it should have a Bug crawling
>> on it... This was Saturday.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmHOaSEJyU
>>
>> Went back out today and did it again. These 2 videos are of the same
>> run, one from in front and one from behind.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTW310dSDx8
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xajP33zHNz8
>>
>> We didn't get any video of me taking it up one of the best hills out on
>> these trails. Next time out, I'll make sure we get video of that.
>>
>> Les
>> '76 Baja
>> '78 Type 2

> Hey, looks like fun. Thanks for sharing. Makes me miss my old baja.
> Now I gotta give you a little sh!t about the first video, though... I
> know you said rock "crawling" but... The gas pedal's the one on the
> right, dude. ;-)

Yeah, I was testing it to see how it'd handle it, as well as getting
lined up good.

I took a buddy out on the same trails a couple of weeks ago with his '62
Split Window bus.

I'm having trouble getting the video to pull up, but here's the link to
his edited video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqDTnAVcno

Les
Old September 13th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:48:47 +0200, Project Magnet #1
> wrote:

> Shag wrote:
>> On Sep 7, 10:08 pm, Project Magnet #1 >
>> wrote:
>>> Had a great weekend testing the new tires on the back of my Baja. Super
>>> Swamper TSL Radials, 30/10.50-15's...
>>>
>>> These tires really rock.
>>>
>>> First test was this rock that looked like it should have a Bug crawling
>>> on it... This was Saturday.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmHOaSEJyU
>>>
>>> Went back out today and did it again. These 2 videos are of the same
>>> run, one from in front and one from behind.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTW310dSDx8
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xajP33zHNz8
>>>
>>> We didn't get any video of me taking it up one of the best hills out on
>>> these trails. Next time out, I'll make sure we get video of that.
>>>
>>> Les
>>> '76 Baja
>>> '78 Type 2

>> Hey, looks like fun. Thanks for sharing. Makes me miss my old baja.
>> Now I gotta give you a little sh!t about the first video, though... I
>> know you said rock "crawling" but... The gas pedal's the one on the
>> right, dude. ;-)

> Yeah, I was testing it to see how it'd handle it, as well as getting
> lined up good.
>
> I took a buddy out on the same trails a couple of weeks ago with his '62
> Split Window bus.
>
> I'm having trouble getting the video to pull up, but here's the link to
> his edited video.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqDTnAVcno
>
> Les

Now, that was seriously cool!
Reminds me of what we used to do in a Citroen 2CV, front wheel drive, 15"
and two cylinder aircooled engine barely able to outperform ya sista!

The bus is seriously underrated when it comes to capability.
Ask Mr.Hoover, he has done a few miles in them.

J.

Old September 13th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

P.J.Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:48:47 +0200, Project Magnet #1
> > wrote:
>
>> Shag wrote:

>>> Hey, looks like fun. Thanks for sharing. Makes me miss my old baja.
>>> Now I gotta give you a little sh!t about the first video, though... I
>>> know you said rock "crawling" but... The gas pedal's the one on the
>>> right, dude. ;-)

>> Yeah, I was testing it to see how it'd handle it, as well as getting
>> lined up good.
>>
>> I took a buddy out on the same trails a couple of weeks ago with his
>> '62 Split Window bus.
>>
>> I'm having trouble getting the video to pull up, but here's the link
>> to his edited video.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqDTnAVcno
>>
>> Les

> Now, that was seriously cool!
> Reminds me of what we used to do in a Citroen 2CV, front wheel drive,
> 15" and two cylinder aircooled engine barely able to outperform ya sista!
>
> The bus is seriously underrated when it comes to capability.
> Ask Mr.Hoover, he has done a few miles in them.

These guys take them out and enjoy them.

http://backroadbus.com/

The video I posted the link to should be showing up on there, along with
some pics.

I was tempted to lift my new to me '78 bus, but I'm expecting a call on
Thing very soon. I'll set it up for the trails I've been taking the
Baja on if it's not too far gone. If it's completely wasted, I'll still
get it for parts.

Les

Jeep Fought The Rock -- And The Rock Won rst Chrysler 40 September 25th 07 05:17 PM
Jeep Fought The Rock -- And The Rock Won rst Jeep 48 September 25th 07 05:17 PM
Jeep Fought The Rock -- And The Rock Won L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3696_] Auto Photos 0 September 22nd 07 09:03 AM
Rock Climbing Coasty[_1_] Jeep 6 October 2nd 06 05:45 PM
the Heck with rock climbing! twaldron Jeep 0 January 25th 06 01:25 AM