2000 Passport - Won't turn over, fuel pump relay buzzing/clicking

Old June 20th 07, 09:29 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2000 Passport - Won't turn over, fuel pump relay buzzing/clicking

Having a wierd problem with 2000 passport. When I turn the key to
start, the following happens:

[A] the fuel pump relay "buzzes" for about a second

[b] about a second after that, a device on the fuel rail starts making
a rapid clicking sound that goes on for about 2 seconds. While this
is happening, the internal check engine light seems to be flickering
rapidly on/off in sync with the clicking. If you are standing in
front of the truck, facing the radiator, the clicking is coming from
some sort of sensor or device that is at the back right corner of the
fuel rail (close to the firewall). It is some sort of cyclinder that
has a wiring block with 2 wires on one side, and what appears to be
fuel in/outs on the other.

[C] During this whole process, the fuel pump sounds very sick. It's
running, but it sounds like crap.

[D] after the above, the engire doesn't turn over. It doesn't do
anything. If I restart the engine start sequence, the same behavior
happens.

Some things I've tried that didn't change the behavior:
I've tried moving another relay of the same model into the fuel relay
position
I've cleaned the posts of that relay (and all the others)
I've left the vehicle without any power (unplugged the battery) for
hours
Cursing. Lots of cursing.

Now at this point, it sounds like a bad fuel pump, but these 2000
Passports have tricked me in the past. Has anyone else had experience
with this, and if so - is this a fuel pump issue, or is their an
uphill electric/sensor issue here (like whatever is making that
clicking noise (see [b], or some sort of fuel cutoff switch gone bad)?

If it is a fuel pump issue - how hard is it to change to the fuel
pumps for this model vehicle?

Old June 20th 07, 09:15 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

On Jun 20, 2:29 am, wrote:

> [C] During this whole process, the fuel pump sounds very sick. It's
> running, but it sounds like crap.
>
> [D] after the above, the engire doesn't turn over. It doesn't do
> anything. If I restart the engine start sequence, the same behavior
> happens.

Dunno... Hard to tell without seeing it.. The thing I can't figure out
is
why a fuel problem would keep the engine from turning over..
Totally unrelated systems.. Maybe an electrical problem..
Grounded wire, short, etc?
I wouldn't be too quick to condemn the fuel pump.
MK

Old June 20th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

wrote:
> Having a wierd problem with 2000 passport. When I turn the key to
> start, the following happens:
>
> [A] the fuel pump relay "buzzes" for about a second
>
> [b] about a second after that, a device on the fuel rail starts making
> a rapid clicking sound that goes on for about 2 seconds. While this
> is happening, the internal check engine light seems to be flickering
> rapidly on/off in sync with the clicking. If you are standing in
> front of the truck, facing the radiator, the clicking is coming from
> some sort of sensor or device that is at the back right corner of the
> fuel rail (close to the firewall). It is some sort of cyclinder that
> has a wiring block with 2 wires on one side, and what appears to be
> fuel in/outs on the other.
>
> [C] During this whole process, the fuel pump sounds very sick. It's
> running, but it sounds like crap.
>
> [D] after the above, the engire doesn't turn over. It doesn't do
> anything. If I restart the engine start sequence, the same behavior
> happens.
>
> Some things I've tried that didn't change the behavior:
> I've tried moving another relay of the same model into the fuel relay
> position
> I've cleaned the posts of that relay (and all the others)
> I've left the vehicle without any power (unplugged the battery) for
> hours
> Cursing. Lots of cursing.
>
> Now at this point, it sounds like a bad fuel pump, but these 2000
> Passports have tricked me in the past. Has anyone else had experience
> with this, and if so - is this a fuel pump issue, or is their an
> uphill electric/sensor issue here (like whatever is making that
> clicking noise (see [b], or some sort of fuel cutoff switch gone bad)?
>
> If it is a fuel pump issue - how hard is it to change to the fuel
> pumps for this model vehicle?

==================================

Have you cleaned / greased / retightened the battery terminals and the
chassis end of the black battery cable?

It sounds a bit like the GREAT HONDA IGNITION SWITCH RECALL symptoms.
Try jumping +12 to the solenoid and see if it 'clacks'. Engine should
actually spin.

You didn't say whether the vehicle even worked previously, or if you
tried boosting it, or tried charging the battery.

Today is Psychic Wednesday. Maybe somebody else will get an answer for you.

'Curly'

Fuel Pump Relay Clicking to prime Jeepster Jeep 8 December 10th 06 10:11 PM
"buzzing" sound from rear fuel pump William Park VW water cooled 6 January 26th 06 09:00 AM
fuel pump relay ldisfine Ford Explorer 1 December 12th 05 06:29 PM
### Fuel Pump Relay. ### Unknown User Chrysler 0 August 25th 05 06:34 AM
Accord blinker turn signal relay clicking FAST when not actuated DBarry Honda 1 January 6th 05 03:04 AM