1967 Vert Pan Replacement

Old October 15th 04, 04:09 AM
joe

Default 1967 Vert Pan Replacement

I am new to restoration but have heard not all Brazilian pan halves
are created equally. Of course, I will use German pans if I can find
them but am still trying to locate a nice rust free set. I have read
that some Brazilian halves tend to fit better than others. I thought
there was one plant in Brazil that manufactured all the pan halves.
Either way, can someone, from experience, please let me know where to
purchase the best possible fitting Brazilian halves for my '67 if
there are higher quality ones than others. Thanks -- Joe
Old October 15th 04, 05:21 AM
Ben Boyle

You aren't going to have much luck looking for used pans.
Try these http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie... 200495040114

Old October 15th 04, 01:29 PM
dragenwagen

The seat rails suck on the Brazilian replacements. The fit wasn't all that
bad. The metal is a little bit thinner than the German( original) ones.
But then again if they are Swiss cheese or non existent then the Brazilian
ones are better than nothing.
If your original seat rails are in good shape, drill out the spot welds and
weld them to the new pans

befo
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/69vw041.jpg
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/69vw030.jpg
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/69vw107a.jpg

after:
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/69vw103a.jpg
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/69wagen130.jpg

--
************************************************** **************
dragenwagen

om...

Old October 15th 04, 01:48 PM
Speedy Jim

joe wrote:

> I am new to restoration but have heard not all Brazilian pan halves
> are created equally.

<SNIP>

Does '67 Vert have the frame re-inforcing rails?
They're not part of the pan and you'll have to include
them in figuring the project.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 15th 04, 02:05 PM
Braukuche

>Does '67 Vert have the frame re-inforcing rails?
> They're not part of the pan and you'll have to include
> them in figuring the project.

All 'verts have those rails, otherwise they would bend in half. You don't have
to replace the rails along with the pan unless of course the rails are shot.
The rails are welded to the body just below the heater channel and do not
connect direcetly to the pan so therefore there are no such things as 'vert
specific pans, though you will have ot remove the jack points on the pans to
get them to fit as the 'vert have their own jack points on the rails..
--Dan E
Old October 15th 04, 09:25 PM
Howard Rose

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:48:30 -0400, Speedy Jim > wrote:

>joe wrote:
>>
>> I am new to restoration but have heard not all Brazilian pan halves
>> are created equally.

><SNIP>
>
> Does '67 Vert have the frame re-inforcing rails?
> They're not part of the pan and you'll have to include
> them in figuring the project.

Yes, but they are part of the heater channel, and not the pan.
Correct me if I'm wrong though!

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old October 16th 04, 01:42 AM
Dane Tyler

You are correct! The reinforcement rails are part of the heater channel.