ABS/Non-ABS compatibility question

Old March 22nd 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default ABS/Non-ABS compatibility question

I have the original non-ABS brakes on my 1991 miata that need to be
replaced. At the same time, I have the entire braking system from my
1996 model miata with ABS that is in excellent condition.

Does anyone know if I can use the calipers, brackets, and rotors from
the 1996 model on the 1991 model? I know that there is a sensor, but I
am not sure if it will cause a fitting problem or not.

Thanks!

Pat
Old March 22nd 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I was thinking there was a clearance problem with the brakes from the 1.8
cars using 14" wheels but to tell you the truth, I had forgotten about that
issue in my enthusiasm to try my Azenis on my 99. I threw them on (they're
mounted on std 14" steelies, forgive me) and went and slid it around in a
parking lot for awhile before I clicked to the clearance issue I'd heard of.
I hadn't heard any nasty noises but it was raining and I had windows up and
such. When I pulled them off I was pleasantly surprised to see no unintended
modifications!

The ABS is another issue obviously, I don't know about that.

Chris
99BBB

Old March 22nd 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> I was thinking there was a clearance problem with the brakes from the 1.8
> cars using 14" wheels but to tell you the truth, I had forgotten about that
> issue in my enthusiasm to try my Azenis on my 99. I threw them on (they're
> mounted on std 14" steelies, forgive me) and went and slid it around in a
> parking lot for awhile before I clicked to the clearance issue I'd heard of.
> I hadn't heard any nasty noises but it was raining and I had windows up and
> such. When I pulled them off I was pleasantly surprised to see no unintended
> modifications!
>
> The ABS is another issue obviously, I don't know about that.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

No, you're ok since you have a 1999 model. Some of the 1999 miatas came
with 14 inch wheels so clearance isn't an issue for you.

They increased the size of the rotors on the M2 at some point and that
required you to use either 15 or 16 inch wheels, I think it was 15
inches minimum for clearance on the larger rotors.

I'd like to get a set of the larger M2 brakes, but the ones I have won't
cost me anything and will be an upgrade if they will fit. The labor is
easy enough for the 1.6 to 1.8 brake swap.

Pat
Old March 22nd 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pws wrote:

> I have the original non-ABS brakes on my 1991 miata that need to be
> replaced. At the same time, I have the entire braking system from my
> 1996 model miata with ABS that is in excellent condition.
>
> Does anyone know if I can use the calipers, brackets, and rotors from
> the 1996 model on the 1991 model? I know that there is a sensor, but I
> am not sure if it will cause a fitting problem or not.

ABS cars have different hubs to accommodate the sensor.
Old March 26th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> ABS cars have different hubs to accommodate the sensor.

You are correct. I just took the brackets, loaded calipers and rotors
off and it looks like all of the electronic reading sensors for the hub
are mounted completely separate. The brackets match up and fit, so I
should be able to use these on my non-ABS car and vice-versa.
I could have just checked part numbers, but that would have been too easy.

This looks like an extremely easy conversion. I will be going from 1991
brakes with 141,000 miles and scored rotors to excellent-looking 1996
brakes with 75,000 miles and only about 8,000 on the pads.
The car already has stainless brake lines and it is time to flush the
fluid, so this works out well.

It is also time to replace the slave cylinder, which I had replaced
within months of wrecking my miata, so I am re-using it as well. I
almost want to keep the '96M as a donor car.

Pat

Porsche 944 taillight question Nate Nagel Driving 73 January 28th 05 11:24 PM
Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 05:42 AM
E34 question Vernon Balbert BMW 11 October 27th 04 01:37 PM
93 SL1 Valve Body - Question Gary Compton Saturn 3 September 3rd 04 05:58 PM