If you dont like GTR you wont like GTL

Old August 24th 05, 06:27 PM
mcewena

>Is it simply that some are so stuck on GPL, that there's no room for
>anything else? (Responses to this query will give me the answer.)

It's probably a combination of things:

1) First love. Nobody forgets who popped their cherry. For most of us
who've been here long enough, GPL was the first sim that actual made us
feel a little like Jim Clark, Mario Andretti, Giles Villeneuve (whom
ever your hero was).

2) Balance. GPL's not correct in how it models things but I
personally think some of the sims that have gone for more technical
correctness in the modeling have lost something in the driveability
when you try and transmit that onto a 2d 17" screen with very little
sensory inputs to drivers who AREN'T Clark, Andretti, Villenueve etc..
Plus I think the more modern the car being modeled the higher the
driver requirement and the narrower the performance band you have to
drive in, drive a GPL car at 8/10ths you'll still likely finish on the
lead lap, drive a GTP or other modern car at 8/10th you won't even
bring the tires into their performance envelop and you'll be lapped in
no time.

3) Online experience. To this day I have more fun dicing with my GPL
buddies in piddly FV cars then any other sim, maybe it's the mix of
talent, maybe it's the flow of the tracks (little chicane blight),
maybe it's luck of the draw, who knows. But that overall experience
seems to add a certain warm glow by association to GPL that hasn't
happened in other sims (dispite the odd good experience).

4) Missed opportunities. There are many things that NR2003, LFS, GTR
and others clearly do better then GPL, but it seems they've each got
some fatal or near fatal flaw that prevents them from going the final
yard.

5) Critical mass. When GPL came out it was the ONLY game in town, now
there are half a dozen alternatives, each with half a dozen
mods/varients meaning that no one of them is likely to be king of the
heap (or likely to be reading the current tea leaves). Diversity is
great, but it does also lead to fragmentation of the community.

Just my 2 cents.

Old August 24th 05, 06:45 PM
Eldred Pickett

On 24 Aug 2005 10:27:59 -0700, "mcewena" >
wrote:

>>Is it simply that some are so stuck on GPL, that there's no room for
>>anything else? (Responses to this query will give me the answer.)

>It's probably a combination of things:

<snip>
Wow, a well thought out, well-stated opinion. Maybe there's hope for
r.a.s.yet...<g>
How's it going, Art?

Eldred
Old August 24th 05, 08:14 PM
ymenard

>"Eldred Pickett" > wrote
> On 24 Aug 2005 10:27:59 -0700, "mcewena" >
> wrote:
>
>>It's probably a combination of things:

> <snip>
> Wow, a well thought out, well-stated opinion. Maybe there's hope for
> r.a.s.yet...<g>
> How's it going, Art?

"That sim is our last hope."

"No, there is another..."

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old August 25th 05, 02:16 AM
mcewena

>How's it going, Art?

>Eldred

I thought you were dead?

I'm good you? I'm almost over my annual summer time sick of sim blahs
and keen to get back to GPL for the fall. I was keen to race GTP
endurance in this Saturday's WOSEC 6 hours of Road Atlanta but my
enthusium is out reaching my talent... And has been blunted some by
the choice of the Tunlanta version.

When can I expect to see you on track again?

Old August 25th 05, 08:34 AM
Steve Simpson

>> Unlocking?!? Gads, I *hate* that 'feature'... That means that some
>> people may have to cheat to get all the cars they've paid for. I
>> certainly HOPE there are cheat codes available...

Relax. Every game of this type has a cheat code to unlock all cars
available within days of release. RBR, one of the finest sims ever, is a
classic example. Nobody seemed to mind having locked cars in that game.
I'd have to say, some of you people are incrediby picky when it comes to
sims. And not necessarily picky in terms of quality - just in terms of
how you think a sim should be or what it should include.

-Mulligatawny
Old August 25th 05, 09:14 AM
Bruce Kennewell

Well, it shouldn't include mulligatawny for starters. YECCHHH!

But Steve, I don't think that we are equating "sim" with"locked"; we just
don't like "locked" features, sim or not.
Well, that's how I feel about locked features in any game, anyway.

Bruce

news

Old August 25th 05, 02:21 PM
mcewena

>Well, that's how I feel about locked features in any game, anyway.

If it keeps even one more idiot from immediately jumping online in the
most powerfull car available *before* he learns the basics, I'm all for
locks.