What's this about starforce in Vista ?

Old November 3rd 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default What's this about starforce in Vista ?

"What you likely didn't know was the licensed Starforce code buried
deep
within Vista/DX10
Mitch "

Just rereading a few posts and this point Mitch brought up really
caught my eye...any confirmation or elaboration ? I've read that
starforce permanently screws up ones cd/dvd reader and that was the
main objection to starforce

Old November 4th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A[_1_]

It was a joke. Good eye though

Mitch

ups.com...

Old November 4th 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Mitch_A wrote:
> It was a joke. Good eye though
>
> Mitch

Thanx for the clarification

Old November 4th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> "What you likely didn't know was the licensed Starforce code buried
> deep
> within Vista/DX10
> Mitch "
>
> Just rereading a few posts and this point Mitch brought up really
> caught my eye...any confirmation or elaboration ? I've read that
> starforce permanently screws up ones cd/dvd reader and that was the
> main objection to starforce

hehe.....Good one........ I am a beta tester with Vista and Starforce will
not even install on it. It is immediately disabled and you forever get this
warning that a driver has been disabled. This was with GTL and GTR. GTR2
installs and runs fine.... Just some info you might be interested in.

Ed

Old November 5th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Ed Medlin wrote:

> hehe.....Good one........ I am a beta tester with Vista and Starforce will
> not even install on it. It is immediately disabled and you forever get this
> warning that a driver has been disabled. This was with GTL and GTR. GTR2
> installs and runs fine.... Just some info you might be interested in.
>
> Ed

useful to know- thank you

Old November 6th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

If you upgrade from XP to Vista, the driver is NOT disabled like you
describe AFAIK, least I never get any warnging when I drive the game... (I
am speaking of GTL).

Ed Medlin enlightened us with:

Old November 6th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Of course NO ONE is actually going to do a dirty install upgrade from XP to
Vista. Right?

Right?

-Larry

Old November 7th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"Plowboy" > wrote in message
> If you upgrade from XP to Vista, the driver is NOT disabled like you
> describe AFAIK, least I never get any warnging when I drive the game...
> (I am speaking of GTL).

Are you using the latest RC of Vista? Really won't matter after the second
beta. Starforce drivers are disabled at startup of Vista and GTL and GTR
will not run ................ won't even install correctly. GTR2 is fine.
During the first beta release I tested, Starforce drivers would install and
I could run GTR (GTL had not been released in the US yet) fine. When MS
added all the increased protection in Beta 2 of Vista, this changed. That
all is really moot since most game developers are going away from the
Starforce protection and moving to DVDs and implementing differnent copy
protection schemes. Vista RC2 is a completely different animal that the
Betas and RC1. I can install and run GTR2 just fine..........Not so with GTR
and GTL. As soon as Vista starts I get a warning that the Starforce driver
will not be allowed to run and is disabled. It may be just my
configuration..........but I doubt it.

Ed

Old November 7th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

Ed Medlin wrote:

> Are you using the latest RC of Vista? Really won't matter after the second
> beta. Starforce drivers are disabled at startup of Vista and GTL and GTR
> will not run

There's a patch that fixes that. Of course, it also means that you'll
have Starforce running.

GTR 2 and TOCA 3 demos use Starforce protection! CMORE Simulators 18 August 2nd 06 03:22 PM
StarForce Not Windows Vista Compatible Larry Simulators 5 June 5th 06 07:58 PM
GTR and Starforce Engineer Simulators 87 January 17th 06 07:51 PM
Starforce again mike Simulators 0 January 11th 06 04:15 AM
Starforce Mike Beauchamp Simulators 1 October 17th 04 11:55 PM