Extra Keys for my Lincoln - Best Price?

Old April 2nd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Extra Keys for my Lincoln - Best Price?

I recently aquired a 2004 Lincoln LS which came with two user keys and a
valet key.

There's four of us in the family and occasionally someone has to move my
car to free their's, so I'd like to get a couple of more user keys so
everyone has one on their keyrings.

The car's owner's manual has instructions telling how I can program the
car to recognize additional keys as long as I already have two
recognized keys.

Having lived through so many years when buying an extra car key cost
about the same as a pre Starbucks cup of coffee, I was shocked, just
shocked, to hear what a Lincoln dealer said those extra keys would cost me.

Are the blanks for those types of "smart keys" typically available
through full service locksmiths who'd then cut the bits in them, or is
there a web store source selling compatible key blanks which anyone with
a key machine could cut?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old April 2nd 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> I recently aquired a 2004 Lincoln LS which came with two user keys and a
> valet key.
> Are the blanks for those types of "smart keys" typically available
> through full service locksmiths who'd then cut the bits in them, or is
> there a web store source selling compatible key blanks which anyone with
> a key machine could cut?

When I got my 2004 Taurus, I bought a couple key blanks on Ebay for
about $12 each, IIRC. I took them to a local locksmith who cut them for
the grand sum of $1.00. It took me about 10 mins to program them,
following the instructions in the manual. They work just fine.

Look for 'transponder keys' and make sure you get the right one for your
car. There's nothing special about cutting them..any locksmith should be
able to do it.
Old April 3rd 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Jeff Wisnia" > wrote in message
> Having lived through so many years when buying an extra car key cost
> about the same as a pre Starbucks cup of coffee, I was shocked, just
> shocked, to hear what a Lincoln dealer said those extra keys would cost

me.

Dealerships can suck the life out of you.

A GM key, here, runs $50-60, but I had some duplicated at a REAL locksmith
in Houston for less than $20.

Old April 3rd 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

M.M. wrote:

> Jeff Wisnia wrote:
>

>> I recently aquired a 2004 Lincoln LS which came with two user keys and
>> a valet key.
>> Are the blanks for those types of "smart keys" typically available
>> through full service locksmiths who'd then cut the bits in them, or is
>> there a web store source selling compatible key blanks which anyone
>> with a key machine could cut?
>>

> When I got my 2004 Taurus, I bought a couple key blanks on Ebay for
> about $12 each, IIRC. I took them to a local locksmith who cut them for
> the grand sum of $1.00. It took me about 10 mins to program them,
> following the instructions in the manual. They work just fine.
>
> Look for 'transponder keys' and make sure you get the right one for your
> car. There's nothing special about cutting them..any locksmith should be
> able to do it.

Many thanks! Found just what I needed on eBay pronto. (Cost me under $20
with shipping.)

Man who loses key to mistress' apartment gets no new key. <G>

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old April 3rd 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
> Many thanks! Found just what I needed on eBay pronto. (Cost me under $20
> with shipping.)

Glad I could be of help...

73 de AA7TA...

transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer Nehmo Sergheyev Technology 50 March 21st 06 03:59 PM
Keys for a 99vet vette99jl Corvette 14 March 15th 06 05:43 PM
AWA [OFFER] Lincoln Navigator Transmission 4R100 4X2 [email protected] General 0 January 30th 06 04:51 PM
Transponder Keys Billy Ray Jeep 3 November 6th 05 03:35 PM
Gas prices and alternative fuels -- two questions Percival P. Cassidy Chrysler 18 May 10th 05 11:08 PM