No Power???

Old May 15th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AshMan

Default No Power???

One other thing to check since you mentioned weak battery problems is
the voltage at the coil and electronic ignition module.

The Pertronix needs a min voltage to work properly. If you have less
than 10v at the Pertronix while the engine is running you might have a
problem. This is not a problem when running points which are just an
on/off switch.

Same goes for your coil. The coil multiplies the input voltage by a
set amount. Lower the input voltage and you lower the output
voltage. Low output voltage means low power.

Since your problem is while the engine is running you should check the
voltage at the (+) coil terminal (#15) at different engine speeds.
Make sure you have a min 12v. (the regulator should normally be
kicking out around 13.8v). You may have the proper voltage coming out
of the gen/alt, but a weak battery will bring down the actual voltage
the rest of the car "sees".

Just a quick thing that you can check.

AshMan40

Old May 15th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
MicroBiz

well I check the mechanical advance like you said, there is play when I try
to rotate the rotor but no movement of the advance linkage. When I hook up
the timing light there is and advance in the timing so I think everything is
ok there.. As far as the starter, I just cleaned up the terminals, rapped on
the solenoid while I was under the car and problem solved...The connections
were spotless to begin with as everything is new, but cleaned them just in
case. Who knows what the real problem was..

Tomorrow I am going to put the points back in the distributor and try it
again...

oups.com...

Old May 16th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Sluggish acceleration may be caused by three things.

1) Bad gas in the tank.

2) No advance or incorrect advance in the distributor.

Since you say you have changed the distributor, this is a very possible
cause.
Is the distributor centrifugal only (009) or does it has a vacuum canister
too?

- If the distributor is the 009, set the advance with a timing light at
about 30 degrees BTDC when the engine is revving at 3000 rpm.
As someone else mentioned, check that the advance mechanism is not stuck.
To do this, remove the cap and twist the rotor. You should be possible to
twist it about 10 degrees to one direction with no force, and then it should
spring back to the rest position.

- If you have an SVDA (Single Vacuum Dual Advance) which means both
centrifugal mechanism and vacuum canister, set it with a timing light with
the vacuum line disconnected, at about 30 degrees BTDC @ 3000rpm. After you
are finished reconnect the vacuum line.

- If you have a single vacuum distributor (only one vacuum line going to the
left side of the carb), set it at 7.5 degrees BTDC @ 850rpm, but before you
must have adjusted the position of the throttle plate so that it is almost
fully closed (1/2 turn more on the throttle butterfly adjusting screw, from
the fully closed position).

Dwell angle has a different value on electronic ignitions. The 45%-55%
adjustment is for points, and ensures that the points will be closed enough
time to "charge" the coil, and open enough time so that they will not burn.
In electronic ignitions you don't have the risk of burning points, so the
circuit stays closed for more time than with points, so it is possible to
store more energy in the coil in high revving engines.

3) Lean mixture.
The main jet in the carb could be partially clogged. Remove the carb and
inspect. A lean main jet causes hesitation on acceleration and loss of
power.
If the engine doesn't hold a good steady 850rpm idle when warmed up (and the
throttle butterfly is correctly adjusted to being almost fully closed as
mentioned above) then the idle jet is dirty too. Generally this means you
have to remove the carb, dismantle and clean it with compressed air.

No matter which of the three reasons affects your engine's performance, you
should not drive it for long periods, as all problems above would cause
overheating.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 bug.

Old May 17th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
MicroBiz

Well problem solved for now, I remove the Petronix module and replaced it
with the points and all is well... not giving up on them yet, the Petronix
module must work, I've heard lots of good things about them.. Well at least
I can drive it now, I'll try it again later, just want to get it on the
road... Thanks for all the suggestions..

Old May 19th 07, 07:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"MicroBiz" > wrote in message
> Well problem solved for now, I remove the Petronix module and replaced it
> with the points and all is well... not giving up on them yet, the Petronix
> module must work, I've heard lots of good things about them.. Well at
> least I can drive it now, I'll try it again later, just want to get it on
> the road... Thanks for all the suggestions..

did you reset your timing after installation of the pertronix? you can't
just swap out the points and condensor with ther pertronix and call it
good... you must re-time the engine... the pertronix pickup is several
degrees different than the points when you just swap it over...