Are Dexron and Mercon the same thing?

Old October 24th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Masospaghetti

Default Are Dexron and Mercon the same thing?

A previous post mentioned that synthetic Dexron helped quiet down their
power steering pump, or lubegard red. This is why I was posting about
the subject.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590

Old October 24th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Masospaghetti wrote:
>>
>> wrote:

>> > Usually that wouldn't be a problem, but:
>> >
>> > You might want to check with the dealer on this. There was a BIG
>> > glitch with the Mercon V spec and the old Ford Mercon transmissions
>> > that made them NOT backwards compatible. Ford was supposed to reissue
>> > the specs and formulations to the manufacturers to make sure that the
>> > new fluids remained backwards compatible, but that wasn't that long ago
>> > and it is possible that some of the stock could still be out there.
>> >
>> > Call a dealer and talk to the parts desk to make sure. There was an
>> > issue with this with the SuperDuty transmissions that caused some folks
>> > to get bitten when they assumed that the old backwards compatibility
>> > rule held. Better safe than sorry.
>> >

>> Well, I called the dealer...
>>
>> ...and they told me to use TYPE F. (wtf?)
>>
>> But I believe my owner's manual + you guys more than one service person.
>> Thanks for the replies.
>>
>> -J

> Why would you want to use a GM fluid in your Ford?
>
> With all the pickieness that those Fords have with even their own (type
> F) or Mercon fluid, trying to use Dexron or GM fluid seems pretty silly
> to me.
>
> My Jeep calls for Dexron in the power steering. I would disconnect the
> belt and just not use it until I got to the proper fluid before I used
> Ford fluid in it.

Many brands are label to meet both Mercon and Dexron specs. Read the can.

Ed

Old October 24th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

"C. E. White" wrote:

> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> > Masospaghetti wrote:

> >> Well, I called the dealer...
> >>
> >> ...and they told me to use TYPE F. (wtf?)
> >>
> >> But I believe my owner's manual + you guys more than one service person.
> >> Thanks for the replies.
> >>
> >> -J

> > Why would you want to use a GM fluid in your Ford?
> >
> > With all the pickieness that those Fords have with even their own (type
> > F) or Mercon fluid, trying to use Dexron or GM fluid seems pretty silly
> > to me.
> >
> > My Jeep calls for Dexron in the power steering. I would disconnect the
> > belt and just not use it until I got to the proper fluid before I used
> > Ford fluid in it.

> Many brands are label to meet both Mercon and Dexron specs. Read the can.
>
> Ed

Yup, 'compatible with', eh.

I found out really fast that that doesn't hold for transmission fluid
for my Jeep. I used a 'compatible with' gear oil and my synchromesh
promptly failed requiring at the best a double shift and at the worst a
stop to get it into 1st.

I changed to the 'proper' fluid and bingo, my transmission started and
has continued to run perfectly.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old October 24th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

I have been bit by 'compatible with' fluids so now just try to use the
correct ones....

Mike

Old October 24th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:29:35 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>> Well, I called the dealer...
>>
>> ...and they told me to use TYPE F. (wtf?)
>>
>> But I believe my owner's manual + you guys more than one service person.
>> Thanks for the replies. <snip>

Type F?? HAHAHAHA! There is NO application for Type F that's been
built in the last 25 years or so. In fact, Type F is getting hard to
find on the retail level, almost as tough as the old Type A.

Call your dealer's owner and complain about this idiot.
Old October 24th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

wrote:

>>>Usually that wouldn't be a problem, but:
>>>
>>>You might want to check with the dealer on this. There was a BIG
>>>glitch with the Mercon V spec and the old Ford Mercon transmissions
>>>that made them NOT backwards compatible. Ford was supposed to reissue
>>>the specs and formulations to the manufacturers to make sure that the
>>>new fluids remained backwards compatible, but that wasn't that long ago
>>>and it is possible that some of the stock could still be out there.
>>>
>>>Call a dealer and talk to the parts desk to make sure. There was an
>>>issue with this with the SuperDuty transmissions that caused some folks
>>>to get bitten when they assumed that the old backwards compatibility
>>>rule held. Better safe than sorry.
>>>

>>Well, I called the dealer...
>>
>>...and they told me to use TYPE F. (wtf?)
>>
>>But I believe my owner's manual + you guys more than one service person.
>>Thanks for the replies.
>>
>>-J

> Why would you want to use a GM fluid in your Ford?

Because there's no such thing as a "GM Fluid?" Chrysler used the Type
A/Dexron family as far back as GM did, and only stopped in the early 90s.

> With all the pickieness that those Fords have with even their own (type
> F) or Mercon fluid, trying to use Dexron or GM fluid seems pretty silly
> to me.

The Dexron spec is THIS CLOSE >< to the Mercon spec. Its no great trick
to meet both, but Ford did have to clarify the spec. As others have
said, using a current production (not old stock) Mercon V fluid should
be fine.

And remember, the original question was for the power steering- which is
a LOT less picky than the transmission would be!
Old October 26th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Masospaghetti wrote:
> My vehicle calls for Mercon ATF for the power steering as well as the
> manual transmission fluid. Can I use Synthetic Dexron in these
> applications, or Mercon V?
>
> 2000 Ford Explorer, 96,000 miles.
>
> Thanks
> -J

I needed some info on the Motorcraft motor oil and noticed that they
have two different ATFs listed on their site:

http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=15

They have a Mercon V that they say is ONLY for where Mercon V is
indicated and a second Mercon Multi-Purpose ATF that is indicated for
use everywhere else. See if you can find the Motorcraft Mercon
Multi-Purpose and you should be home free.

Matthew