Hertz GT-H

Old February 3rd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

Default Hertz GT-H

".boB" > wrote in message
om...
> dwight wrote:
>> Automatic? Really?
>>
>> Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about San
>> Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the start of a
>> series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)

> I went out there last June, had a great time. Rented a car in SF. Went
> to Tahoe, Reno (for the Western States Cobra Bash), Yosemite. Then across
> to the coast to Hearst Castle. Then followed Hwy 1 up to Mendocino. Cut
> across to 101, and back down through Napa Valley.

I'm sitting here outside of Philadelphia, looking at a trip to the West
Coast. There is SO much to see out there, that I know I'm going to be
hard-pressed to figure out what-all to do for one week. Yosemite is one of
those destinations that could be the focus of another trip. Having thought
about this since, oh, Thursday, we're already talking about several trips
out that way.

> What a great trip that was. Weather was excellent along the coast. A
> little cool and breezy, but not cold. Unless you're used to it, maybe a
> little too cool for a 'vert.

I'm used to a convertible in cool weather. We bundle up and keep the heat on
the floor.

> The GT-H is a nice car, and performs surprisingly well for an
> automatic. But I would get the 'vert. Crossing the golden gate bridge
> with the top down is pretty cool.

That sounds fantastic. I'm leaning toward the convertible, only because it
would lend itself to photography in places where pulling off the road is
inadvisable. Or Jean can drive for a bit and let me shoot.

If I were going to Vegas, I could rent a Roush convertible. Even the
specialty rental places in San Francisco would rent me a Corvette
convertible ($$$), but I find nowhere that rents a "plain old" Mustang GT
convertible. The six was a blast for Phoenix to the Canyon and back, but I'd
rather have a V8...

dwight

Old February 3rd 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "dwight" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Automatic? Really?
>>
>> Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about San
>> Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the start of a
>> series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)
>>
>> I've only just started my research, but thought I might take advantage of
>> this opportunity to try the Hertz Mustang. (We rented the new V6
>> convertible in Phoenix last year.) As long as we're doing the Highway,
>> the GT-H sounded like the choice. But automatic?
>>
>> I've also heard that the GT-H may be wasted on the Pacific Highway, that
>> it may be a too-well-travelled road in late May, early June, and that a
>> wannabe photographer like me would be better off in a convertible.
>>
>> San Francisco would be our starting point, and we haven't yet planned
>> whether to head north (to the redwoods) or south (to Monterrey). Anyone
>> out there from this area, or who has taken this trip, I'd welcome any
>> advice or points of interest. We'll be driving the coast, but will be
>> taking frequent breaks and mini-hikes. Photo ops for me, historical
>> interest and occasional shopping for her...
>>
>> With a predicted HIGH of 16 degrees tomorrow, I thought I'd best start
>> thinking about my summer vacation.
>>
>> dwight
>> www.tfrog93.com
>>

> You may want to consider Yosemite in August. Not that far away
> from your planned destination.
> Drove that park in my newly acquired '71 Grande with 4V M-code.
> Those mountain roads really worked the car and I had a blast.
>
> mike

Thanks. That's two votes for Yosemite. But, again, we can build a whole
'nother trip around that. This one's going to focus on the Pacific Highway.

We could spend the rest of our lives (and just might) planning trips out
West. We've kind of "settled in" lately, going to the same lake in upstate
New York four out of the last five years, and we want to break out of that
mold.

One of our best trips, some dozen years ago, was in a rented Ford Aerostar
(we had two youngsters who didn't really get along - the extra room was
perfect) and we toured New England with no real destination. We drove all
day seeing the sights, then started looking for a motel/hotel to crash at
day's end. Saw a lot of Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, then ended up
in Arcadia National Park off the coast of Maine.

Eight states in one week. But we grow our states a little smaller out this
way. All of that driving is like going from LA to Vegas.

dwight

Old February 3rd 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jason O

dwight wrote:
> Automatic? Really?

True to its heritage

--
Jason

Old February 5th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
lab~rat >:-)

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 22:06:29 GMT, Jason O > puked:

>dwight wrote:
>> Automatic? Really?
>>

>True to its heritage

The original Hertz was available with a stick...
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old February 5th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Grover C. McCoury III

FYI: 1,000 1966 Shelby GT350 vehicles were sold to Hertz Rent-A-Car for use
as rental cars and were designated GT350H. Some were equipped with the
four-speed manual transmission but the great majority came with the
automatic transmission.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @
http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

. net...

Old February 5th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, lab~rat >:-) wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 22:06:29 GMT, Jason O > puked:
>
>>dwight wrote:
>>> Automatic? Really?
>>>

>>True to its heritage

> The original Hertz was available with a stick...

And only with.

Old February 5th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Grover C. McCoury III wrote:
> FYI: 1,000 1966 Shelby GT350 vehicles were sold to Hertz Rent-A-Car for use
> as rental cars and were designated GT350H. Some were equipped with the
> four-speed manual transmission but the great majority came with the
> automatic transmission.

Everything I read had that one had to be member of hertz's sports car
club or some such to prove one could drive a manual trans car.
I'll have to check my books later.

Old February 5th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Grover C. McCoury III

On Feb 5, 11:28 am, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article >, Grover C. McCoury III wrote:
>
> > FYI: 1,000 1966 Shelby GT350 vehicles were sold to Hertz Rent-A-Car for use
> > as rental cars and were designated GT350H. Some were equipped with the
> > four-speed manual transmission but the great majority came with the
> > automatic transmission.

> Everything I read had that one had to be member of hertz's sports car
> club or some such to prove one could drive a manual trans car.
> I'll have to check my books later.

Early 1966 GT350H cars were shipped with 4-speed manual
transmissions(Borg Warner T-10 and some Ford Toploaders). The
installation of manual transmissions was discontinued soon after
initial GT350H production and the C-4 automatic transmission was
installed in all remaining cars.

You can read a detailed description of the 1966 GT350H program @
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/
mump_0608_2006_hertz_shelby/1966_mustang.html

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C
featuring a 4-speed close-ratio Toploader @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

Old February 5th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article . com>, Grover C. McCoury III wrote:
> On Feb 5, 11:28 am, (Brent P)

>> I'll have to check my books later.

> Early 1966 GT350H cars were shipped with 4-speed manual
> transmissions(Borg Warner T-10 and some Ford Toploaders). The
> installation of manual transmissions was discontinued soon after
> initial GT350H production and the C-4 automatic transmission was
> installed in all remaining cars.

First book agrees... no need to dig further.

Old February 6th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

there is a really nice original GT 350H sitting in a showroom in Oslo
Norway, when I was there I walked by it a couple dozen times just to drool
at it. I really loved the color combination of black and gold