Rotating tires -- Procomp directional treads

Old September 13th 05, 11:50 PM
Steve

Default Rotating tires -- Procomp directional treads

Hey guys,

Love my new 31" Procomp XT's...lookin meaner than those sissy stock tires

Anyhow, I'm coming up to a mileage point where I should rotate tires.
I'd like to bring in my spare too....but seeing as the front left tire would
go to the right rear, how can you do this if you can't flip the tire around
(to keep the IN-side of the rim towards the jeep)??

Rims are American racing 797's.

Old September 14th 05, 12:09 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Remount the ti http://www.fostertire.com/tcm_rttn.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 14th 05, 12:21 AM
Mike Romain

You follow the book rotation for the CJ7 or for bias ply tires and keep
them on one side.

The spare goes to the right rear, which is the main wear or drive tire,
the RR goes to the RF and the RF goes to the spare. The left side tires
just swap back and front.

This will make for even wear over the life ot the tires.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 14th 05, 12:32 AM
wraithyjeep

this also applies to radials
as that is how the shop just rotated my timberline m/t's each side stays on
their side just like mike said.

Old September 14th 05, 01:13 AM
Mike Romain

Well, 'you' know this, 'I' know this, my Jeeps owners manuals knows
this, but there are a 'whole' pile of people here that think defective
tires are 'normal' and cross rotate anyway like the tire makers
recommend and get quite upset about hearing different.

It is safer to say to 'follow the CJ7 'book' pattern for radials' or any
book pattern for bias ply... They don't own a CJ7 so don't get quite as
offended. LOL!

Mike

Old September 14th 05, 01:18 AM
Jerry Bransford

That doesn't apply to standard radials, and hasn't in many years, only
unidirectional radials like the ProComp XTerrain being asked about.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old September 14th 05, 01:56 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

http://townpeddler.com/rotation.html

Old September 14th 05, 02:25 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well if you only have standard tires:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/rotation.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old September 14th 05, 04:36 AM
Jerry Bransford

Matt, one of the major tire manufacturers... it had to have been BFG,
Goodyear, or similar actually answered that question years ago. They
explained that the first radial tires were manufacturerd on the same
equipment used to make bias-belted tires which causes problems. What
problems, I don't know.... other than you couldn't cross-rotate them.
Then they came out with different manufacturing equipment that was
specifically designed for radial tires that solved the issues with the
first generation tires. I read it with my own two eyes, it wasn't my
friend's cousin's brother-in-law that related that to me.

Jerry

Old September 14th 05, 11:25 AM
Coasty

It is my understanding the differences from the first gen radials was in
their construction and how the radial belts were made into the tire
compaired to todays construction new gen radials. I think it all had to do
with the belts and which direction they were wound but do not quite me I am
going from memory.

Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply