1996 SL2 and Brown Sediment in Coolant

Old February 3rd 10, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Father Mike[_2_]

Default 1996 SL2 and Brown Sediment in Coolant

I have about 145,000 km on this boat. I took it in for routine work and
Canadian Tire pulled me aside and said I had a leaking head gasket and to
prove it they showed me flakes of brown sediment which allegedly came from
my cooling system. The cost to repair would be around $1800.

Naturally, I wasn't about to go crazy and have it done before I did some
research. I know that Saturn has a bad rep for bad head gaskets, and after
searching and finding additives to stop leaks I've grown skeptical that
it's a head gasket at all. From what I've read, a leaking head gasket will
cause water to get into the cylinders, causing huge amounts of smoke/steam
discharge at the tail pipe. I don't have this. Second, my oil would have a
milkish look to it, and I've never noticed this. I'd also see a drop in
engine output and engine overheating. I don't have this, although it is
winter.

So it seems to me it could just be dirty coolant. I think I've had it
flushed a long time ago.

So, any opinions?
Old February 3rd 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, Father Mike > wrote:
>I have about 145,000 km on this boat. I took it in for routine work and
>Canadian Tire pulled me aside and said I had a leaking head gasket and to
>prove it they showed me flakes of brown sediment which allegedly came from
>my cooling system. The cost to repair would be around $1800.

I certainly wouldn't replace a head gasket based on that diagnosis.

The definitive check for a blown head gasket is a compression test. If it's
more-or-less normal on all cylinders, your head gasket is fine.

I share your opinion that it's probably just dirty coolant.
Old February 3rd 10, 09:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
> In article >, Father Mike
> > wrote:
>>I have about 145,000 km on this boat. I took it in for routine work and
>>Canadian Tire pulled me aside and said I had a leaking head gasket and to
>>prove it they showed me flakes of brown sediment which allegedly came from
>>my cooling system. The cost to repair would be around $1800.

> I certainly wouldn't replace a head gasket based on that diagnosis.
>
> The definitive check for a blown head gasket is a compression test. If
> it's
> more-or-less normal on all cylinders, your head gasket is fine.
>
> I share your opinion that it's probably just dirty coolant.

If anyone does not have a maintenance log of some kind, ( I use a simple
spreadsheet and enter ALL maintenance and other events and expenses) now
would be a good time to start one. IMHO, you should know exactly when you
last changed your coolant (mileage and date) as well as whether you refilled
with standard (usually 2 year) or long life (usually 5 year) coolant. (Best
to not mix coolant types or brands) I suspect that your coolant is now far
past its best before date, and you have and are probably doing damage to
your rad and coolant pump as well as contributing to deposits and corrosion
damage to engine block and heater core.

The days of ignoring coolant age as long as the antifreeze level was OK
ended with cast iron engines and copper radiators. Modern (especially heavy
duty) engines fail more often from cooling system failure than lubrication
failure.

Coolant is cheap and requires periodic change. It is easy to do yourself.
I recommend (high phosphate) dishwasher detergent as a good flushing agent
to clean your system before complete flushing with clean water and refill
with long life coolant either premixed (expen$ive) or mixed with deionized
(distilled) water usually available cheap (~$0.50/gal) from health food
stores.

It is a lot easier (and cheaper) to use your maintenance log to plan
required maintenance so you can do this job in warmer weather.

Good luck, YMMV

Old February 3rd 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Father Mike[_2_]

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 02:40:11 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

> In article >, Father Mike > wrote:
>>I have about 145,000 km on this boat. I took it in for routine work and
>>Canadian Tire pulled me aside and said I had a leaking head gasket and to
>>prove it they showed me flakes of brown sediment which allegedly came from
>>my cooling system. The cost to repair would be around $1800.

> I certainly wouldn't replace a head gasket based on that diagnosis.
>
> The definitive check for a blown head gasket is a compression test. If it's
> more-or-less normal on all cylinders, your head gasket is fine.
>
> I share your opinion that it's probably just dirty coolant.

Yes, other people I've asked and whose knowledge I respect, are of the same
opinion. Thanks for the reply.
Old February 3rd 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Father Mike[_2_]

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 01:16:36 -0700, Private wrote:

> Coolant is cheap and requires periodic change. It is easy to do yourself.
> I recommend (high phosphate) dishwasher detergent as a good flushing agent
> to clean your system before complete flushing with clean water and refill
> with long life coolant either premixed (expen$ive) or mixed with deionized
> (distilled) water usually available cheap (~$0.50/gal) from health food
> stores.
>
> It is a lot easier (and cheaper) to use your maintenance log to plan
> required maintenance so you can do this job in warmer weather.

That's good advice about the maintenance log and something I've wanted to
do, but it's still on my todo list. Guess it's kinda late for this car.
But I do plan to flush the cooling system. Thanks for the reply.

Old February 5th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_8_]

"Father Mike" > wrote in message
> Yes, other people I've asked and whose knowledge I respect, are of the
> same
> opinion. Thanks for the reply.

OK, just out of curiosity about the 'father mike'...
are you a priest or have children of your own? (or possibly both)
Oppie <www.divinecompassion.org>

Old February 9th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
navaidstech

On Feb 2, 8:58*pm, Father Mike > wrote:
> I have about 145,000 km on this boat. I took it in for routine work and
> Canadian Tire pulled me aside and said I had a leaking head gasket and to
> prove it they showed me flakes of brown sediment which allegedly came from
> my cooling system. The cost to repair would be around $1800.
>
> Naturally, I wasn't about to go crazy and have it done before I did some
> research. I know that Saturn has a bad rep for bad head gaskets, and after
> searching and finding additives to stop leaks I've grown skeptical that
> it's a head gasket at all. From what I've read, a leaking head gasket will
> cause water to get into the cylinders, causing huge amounts of smoke/steam
> discharge at the tail pipe. I don't have this. Second, my oil would have a
> milkish look to it, and I've never noticed this. I'd also see a drop in
> engine output and engine overheating. I don't have this, although it is
> winter.
>
> So it seems to me it could just be dirty coolant. I think I've had it
> flushed a long time ago.
>
> So, any opinions?

Never trust a Canadian Tire "mechanic". I had a similar experience
about 10 years ago. While replacing my tires, a CT "mechanic" pulled
me aside and told me that I need new struts and the parts+labour would
come out to about 500 bucks. But he was nice enough to recommend a
different shop to get it done cheaper (probably a buddy of his).
I ignored his "advice" and I'm happy to say that I'm still driving on
the same struts about 300,000 kms later.

coolant/overheating probs bmw 528i 1996 ksdawg01 BMW 4 April 28th 08 07:22 PM
1996 Concorde 3.3 Coolant Leak njoracle Chrysler 24 November 20th 06 07:32 PM
Brown Coolant Brian[_1_] Mazda 2 July 24th 06 08:24 PM
Coolant warning light on 1996 328i John Smith BMW 2 January 7th 06 10:39 PM
After Coolant flush still heavy sediment DoctorZ Technology 12 February 27th 05 05:40 AM