Cherokee Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old October 14th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Sara Brown

Default Cherokee Crankshaft Position Sensor

Hello all. I have to change the CPS on my 1994 Jeep Cherokee (4.0
eng). Has anyone changed one of these recently and have any input on
the easiest way to get at it? It's in a horrible location to try and
reach. Thanks :-)
Old October 14th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

The CPS has a defective plug and socket. Changing it only fixes half
the trouble usually because only half the plug gets changed.

On some models, it is so bad they recommend either soldering the
connection or changing to another style plug.

Might I suggest a really good clean of the plug and socket for the CPS
with an electronic contact cleaner followed by a good smear of
dielectric grease on the plug's seal skirts.

This may fix it, or it may indeed be done in. I had two people on the
last one I changed, one to hold the socket and it's needed universal
joint on the bolt, one down under with a pile of extensions turning the
wrench.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old October 14th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

To add to Mike's procedure, it sometimes helps to drop the front driveshaft
to gain a little bit more working space. My old arms just don't bend
enough in the right places to reach all the way up and dropping the
driveshaft gives me an extra inch or so to work with. I also prefer
a "wobble" extension to the universal joint on the socket - just easier to
manage. BTW, when he says extension, he means a LONG extension <g>.

--
Will Honea
Old October 15th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Sara Brown

On Oct 14, 10:00*am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> The CPS has a defective plug and socket. *Changing it only fixes half
> the trouble usually because only half the plug gets changed.
>
> On some models, it is so bad they recommend either soldering the
> connection or changing to another style plug.
>
> Might I suggest a really good clean of the plug and socket for the CPS
> with an electronic contact cleaner followed by a good smear of
> dielectric grease on the plug's seal skirts.

Thanks..I may just do away with the plug altogether as there is
plenty of extra wire in the length to work with..I`ll report back :-)
Old October 19th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Sara Brown

Just as a quick follow up: I found that by riding the front of my Jeep
up on a set of ramps and then disconnecting the front drive shaft I
was able to lie under it and with a 3/8" ratchet and a long extension
I could get a 7/16th socket on the two bolts and it wasn`t to
difficult getting the sensor off..I had little luck from above.

Old October 19th 08, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Sara Brown wrote:
> Just as a quick follow up: I found that by riding the front of my Jeep
> up on a set of ramps and then disconnecting the front drive shaft I
> was able to lie under it and with a 3/8" ratchet and a long extension
> I could get a 7/16th socket on the two bolts and it wasn`t to
> difficult getting the sensor off..I had little luck from above.

Yep. It's a true pain in the ass to get that sensor out.

I actually found that jacking the frame up and lowering the front
axle gave me more room.

--
DougW

Old November 2nd 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
man of machines

i have replaced hundreds since 1987 and have yet to see a bad connector
you might just take it in since the labor time is less than a hour and worth
the hassle you might have and not have all the tools to do it

Old November 2nd 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Funny, I have 'cleaned' dozens and told dozens others to clean theirs
with 'great' success.

The trick with both the CPS and TPS is they are low power computer
signal plugs so they don't have to 'look' bad to not allow the signal to
pass 'stable'. A power crackle in a high power analog system is
ignored, a crackle in a digital system is a signal.

Even though my TPS plug and socket looked perfect when the $tealership
told me it was shot and needed a new one back in 1997 or so, I ignored
them and cleaned it. It was still working perfectly 10 years later when
we sold the Cherokee. It did get three or four more cleans over the
years, but....

The clean is cheap and fast. If it works, great, if it doesn't, well
the OP didn't waste much time or money on it.

Just my $0.02,

Mike