Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement

Old November 18th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ajtessier

Default Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement

2000 Silverado 5.3L, 4X4, 167K

I need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The manual states that
after replacement it must be connected to a scan tool for a "CKP System
Variation Learn Procedure". Is this something that needs to be done at a
dealership or can it be done with a generic scan tool? Is there a way to do
it without a scan tool?

Thanks for any advice,
Al
Bottoms Up Divers

Old November 18th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article
"ajtessier" > wrote:

> 2000 Silverado 5.3L, 4X4, 167K
>
> I need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The manual states that
> after replacement it must be connected to a scan tool for a "CKP System
> Variation Learn Procedure". Is this something that needs to be done at a
> dealership or can it be done with a generic scan tool? Is there a way to do
> it without a scan tool?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Al
> Bottoms Up Divers

It doesn't have to be done at a dealership, most high end scan
tools can perform the crank variation relearn.

Auto Enginuity, Snap-On, OTC, Ease, etc.
Old November 18th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ajtessier

Thanks for your quick response, I have a friend with a high quality scan
tool (don't know the brand) but he's away for a few days so I couldn't ask
him.

If I install the sensor at home would I be able to drive to his shop (about
6 miles) or do I need to do the learn procedure before I drive it.?

Al
Bottoms Up Divers

Old November 19th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh

You can drive the truck without doing the learn procedure.

--
Mike Walsh
Old November 20th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ajtessier

Default Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement - it's in but

I got the new sensor in today but we weren't able to do the learn procedure.
It seems to run fine (only drove it about six miles home). Is it possible
that I won't have to do it? I am going to the dealer Monday for an unrelated
recall, should I ask them to do it even if it's still running fine?

Al
Bottoms Up Divers

Old November 21st 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

ajtessier > wrote:
>I got the new sensor in today but we weren't able to do the learn procedure.
>It seems to run fine (only drove it about six miles home). Is it possible
>that I won't have to do it? I am going to the dealer Monday for an unrelated
>recall, should I ask them to do it even if it's still running fine?

It is running fine, but it will run BETTER if you do the procedure. It will
only take five minutes and save you hundreds of dollars in gasoline over the
long run....
--scott
Old November 21st 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

When I worked for used car lots I used to 'teach' GM's how to idle right
on a regular basis after extended periods of no power connected up.

The procedure was to drive for 5 miles staying 'under' 30 mph, then shut
it down. Start up again and drive another 5 miles keeping under 30,
then shut it down again. One more repeat of this and then bring it up
to speed.

After that they all just purred at idle.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08

Old November 21st 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh

That is how my Beretta was. The older it got the more the sensors went out of range and it took several cold to warm cycles to get it back in calibration after disconnecting the battery. Many sensors e.g. throttle position and temperature that must output a signal that varies according to a varying input will gradually change there performance over time, but a crankshaft position sensor should not have this problem because all it does is put out a pulse when a metal piece goes by the sensor.

Old November 21st 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article
om>,
Mike Romain > wrote:

> When I worked for used car lots I used to 'teach' GM's how to idle right
> on a regular basis after extended periods of no power connected up.
>
> The procedure was to drive for 5 miles staying 'under' 30 mph, then shut
> it down. Start up again and drive another 5 miles keeping under 30,
> then shut it down again. One more repeat of this and then bring it up
> to speed.
>
> After that they all just purred at idle.
>
> Mike
> 'New' frame in the works for '08

What does this have to do with the OPs vehicle?
Old November 22nd 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
philthy[_1_]

a good quility scan tool can do the relearn if the software is in it
but a few drive cycles and you might get lucky