compression test variance

Old June 7th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default compression test variance

Ran a compression test on my car because it had been running hot. Was
told that it could be a head issue.

Cylinders 1, 2 and 4 had the same result: 185 psi.

Cylinder 3, however, was way out of whack. 162 psi. Squirted three
shots of motor oil into the cylinder, ran the test again, and that
brought it in line with the others -- 185 psi.

Haynes is telling me that this indicates worn rings. Worn rings
doesn't sound good.

My question is is this 12 percent difference portend a major engine
overhaul in my near future or is it more like a noisy muffler in that
it isn't right, but it isn't the end of the world either? Right now
the car isn't registered, just came out of a year long storage.

Don't know if this is related, but a clicking sound is coming from the
valve cover. Click, click, click, click, click -- kind of like when
you were a kid and you clothespinned playing cards to your spokes.
I'm guessing that that is valves or lifters, maybe due to the car
sitting. Changed the oil and added some Mystery Oil, but no change.

Old June 7th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

wrote:
> Ran a compression test on my car because it had been running hot. Was
> told that it could be a head issue.
>
> Cylinders 1, 2 and 4 had the same result: 185 psi.
>
> Cylinder 3, however, was way out of whack. 162 psi. Squirted three
> shots of motor oil into the cylinder, ran the test again, and that
> brought it in line with the others -- 185 psi.
>
> Haynes is telling me that this indicates worn rings. Worn rings
> doesn't sound good.
>
> My question is is this 12 percent difference portend a major engine
> overhaul in my near future or is it more like a noisy muffler in that
> it isn't right, but it isn't the end of the world either? Right now
> the car isn't registered, just came out of a year long storage.
>
> Don't know if this is related, but a clicking sound is coming from the
> valve cover. Click, click, click, click, click -- kind of like when
> you were a kid and you clothespinned playing cards to your spokes.
> I'm guessing that that is valves or lifters, maybe due to the car
> sitting. Changed the oil and added some Mystery Oil, but no change.

I would pull the plug on # 3 and squirt some kerosene or PB Blaster
penetrating oil into the cylinder and let it sit for a few hours. This
might free up a maybe stuck ring.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Jan/06
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
Old June 7th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh

162 psi is not low enough to cause a significant problem.
The clicking noise is likely because of stuck lifters; not a surprise after being in storage.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old June 7th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks guys.

Compression Test questions Paul Scrutton Ford Explorer 8 May 25th 05 11:13 AM
compression test newbie VW air cooled 3 April 7th 05 06:18 AM
Compression Test griffin Jeep 2 April 7th 05 05:09 AM
Compression test question Kevin S Jeep 3 December 23rd 04 12:46 AM
Compression Test Dave Skirrow Technology 22 December 13th 04 06:37 PM