Lost original key to Honda Odyssey with keyless entry remote starter

Old April 25th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Lost original key to Honda Odyssey with keyless entry remote starter

What can I do? The dealer is asking me to tow my car to them so that
they can cut a new key. I don't have that kind of money and the key
costs $60 and to program it $89.50. I am able to start the car with
the remote and then insert the valet key. This is the only way to
start the car but I have run out of battery for the remote twice and
had to walk to a store to find a battery in order to start the car. I
have four small children and can't afford for this to happen. I went
to the dealer today again a different mind you and they told me that
since the alarm system is not a Honda installed a alarm it's gonna
cost more than $180.00 for a new key and they don't guarantee that the
new key will work. Can this be true? Can't I just buy a transponder
key online and program it myself?

Old April 25th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Onblsht[_3_]

What year is your Odyssey?

--
Onblsht
Onblsht's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=92893

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 26th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> What can I do? The dealer is asking me to tow my car to them so that
> they can cut a new key. I don't have that kind of money and the key
> costs $60 and to program it $89.50. I am able to start the car with
> the remote and then insert the valet key. This is the only way to
> start the car but I have run out of battery for the remote twice and
> had to walk to a store to find a battery in order to start the car. I

AT least with this method you can get it to the dealership without it being
towed.

> have four small children and can't afford for this to happen. I went
> to the dealer today again a different mind you and they told me that
> since the alarm system is not a Honda installed a alarm it's gonna
> cost more than $180.00 for a new key and they don't guarantee that the
> new key will work.

What brand is the alarm/remote starter? Check the web or yellow pages for
someone who deals with that brand.

> Can this be true?

Sure can!

> Can't I just buy a transponder
> key online and program it myself?

Make sure you buy the right one. Then you need the make and model of the
system to be able to obtain programming instructions. Each system is
different.

Old April 26th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

wrote:
> What can I do? The dealer is asking me to tow my car to them so that
> they can cut a new key. I don't have that kind of money and the key
> costs $60 and to program it $89.50. I am able to start the car with
> the remote and then insert the valet key. This is the only way to
> start the car but I have run out of battery for the remote twice and
> had to walk to a store to find a battery in order to start the car. I
> have four small children and can't afford for this to happen. I went
> to the dealer today again a different mind you and they told me that
> since the alarm system is not a Honda installed a alarm it's gonna
> cost more than $180.00 for a new key and they don't guarantee that the
> new key will work. Can this be true? Can't I just buy a transponder
> key online and program it myself?

I know it's Psychic Wednesday, but help us out. What's the year / model
of the odyssey, and where did the FIRST key go (it should have come with
THREE) at least in the North American market. Check the owner's manual
if you aren't sure.

I'm guessing your alarm installer took it away from you and installed it
under the dash (totally bypassing your immobilizer system).

'Curly'