Audi A6 (2000) 17" wheels - uneven tire wear

Old November 6th 04, 05:56 PM
Anit Patel

Default Audi A6 (2000) 17" wheels - uneven tire wear

I have year 2000 model A6 4.2 what is wearing tires uneven.
This car uses 17" tires. Has any one experienced
this? The dealer says all four wheels need to be replaced. I find
it difficult to digest that all four wheels can go bad. The car has
only 50k miles. My new set of tires have only 6k miles and have
started making noise.

Anit

Old November 6th 04, 06:35 PM
Pete

"Anit Patel" wrote
>I have year 2000 model A6 4.2 what is wearing tires uneven.
> This car uses 17" tires. Has any one experienced
> this? The dealer says all four wheels need to be replaced.

Has anyone mentioned alignment to you?

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 6th 04, 08:37 PM
Anit Patel

Thanks for the response. Yes, the dealer mentioned alignment but only in
reference to
changing four wheels. Unfortunately, I have limited dealer choices. I guess
I will have
to put my foot down and have him do alignment only.

Old November 6th 04, 09:15 PM
Pete

"Anit Patel" wrote
> Thanks for the response. Yes, the dealer mentioned alignment but only
> in
> reference to
> changing four wheels. Unfortunately, I have limited dealer choices. I
> guess
> I will have
> to put my foot down and have him do alignment only.

Well, if your alignment is out of whack, then it is possible that all
four tires wore out unevenly and should be replaced. I was just saying,
make sure you get that alignment done before you ruin another set of
tires.

Not sure how much tread you have left on those tires, but with quattro,
the tread depth should be pretty close between all 4 tires, so that is
probably why your dealer is recommending you get 4 new ones. You
shouldn't just put on 1 or 2 new tires with 10mm of tread while the
other 2 have 5-6mm or less. It's bad for your torsen differential.

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 6th 04, 09:48 PM
Dave LaCourse

Anit Patel writes:

>I have year 2000 model A6 4.2 what is wearing tires uneven.
>This car uses 17" tires. Has any one experienced
>this? The dealer says all four wheels need to be replaced. I find
>it difficult to digest that all four wheels can go bad. The car has
>only 50k miles. My new set of tires have only 6k miles and have
>started making noise.

I had a 2000 A6 4.2 with 17inch wheels and 255/45 tires. I loved that car.
Before I sold/gave it to my son-in-law, I replaced all four tires. They had
about 65K miles on them and where still useable. I rotated the wheels (front
to back on same side) every 10,000 miles or so, and they wore evenly. I have
never had uneven tire wear on any Quattro (5) that I have owned.

If you need new tires, be sure to have an allignment done when they are
mounted. Otherwise, your problems may continue.

Dave
RS6

Old November 6th 04, 10:14 PM
Richard Goulding

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "Anit Patel" wrote
> > Thanks for the response. Yes, the dealer mentioned alignment but only
> > in
> > reference to
> > changing four wheels. Unfortunately, I have limited dealer choices. I
> > guess
> > I will have
> > to put my foot down and have him do alignment only.

> Well, if your alignment is out of whack, then it is possible that all
> four tires wore out unevenly and should be replaced. I was just saying,
> make sure you get that alignment done before you ruin another set of
> tires.
>
> Not sure how much tread you have left on those tires, but with quattro,
> the tread depth should be pretty close between all 4 tires, so that is
> probably why your dealer is recommending you get 4 new ones. You
> shouldn't just put on 1 or 2 new tires with 10mm of tread while the
> other 2 have 5-6mm or less. It's bad for your torsen differential.

According my manual for a quattro A4 it is ok to have tyres with different
tread depths as long as they are of the same make,type and tread pattern.

Richard

Old November 6th 04, 10:43 PM
Pete

"Richard Goulding" wrote
> According my manual for a quattro A4 it is ok to have tyres with
> different
> tread depths as long as they are of the same make,type and tread
> pattern.

But my '01 A4 quattro manual also states: "When replacing tires, use
ones with matching tread depth."

I'm sure some amount of depth variance is not going to cause much harm.
I was just referring to more extreme cases. In any way, with quattro
(torsen), all tires should wear very evenly so normally you'd be
replacing all 4 at the same time, unless you got a puncture that was
beyond repair.

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 7th 04, 12:20 AM
BillyRay

There are four things that come to mind. Most likely the wheels were not
properly aligned when the new tires were installed. Secondly is there may be
worn componets in the suspension and thirdly some tires are know for their
odd wear patterns.... or fourthly... the tires may all be defective.

news

Old November 7th 04, 02:57 PM
Pete

"Anit Patel" wrote
> They gave me diagnosis that wheels (rims) are bent causing tires to
> wear uneven. I find it difficult to digest that four rims can be bad.

That sounds suspicius to me. Do you feel any vibrations on the steering
wheel at highway speeds? It takes skills to bend all 4 rims together
and in a way that they'd cause uneven tire wear.

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 7th 04, 06:19 PM
KLS

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 11:36:41 -0500, "BillyRay" >
wrote:

>If you choose to replace the rims..... if you want AUDI rims go to e-Bay....

For Audi alloy wheels (and lots of other Audi parts), try Shokan All
Audi http://www.shokan.com/ . I've been very pleased with their
service and prices.

Parting Audi S4 2000 mike Audi 11 April 18th 09 02:16 AM
Allroad Tire Wear Peculiarity TomS Audi 1 September 16th 04 05:41 AM
Socket For Loosening Caliper Bolts On 2000 Audi A4? Don Christine Audi 3 August 31st 04 11:22 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM