Code P0102 MAF

Old August 12th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default Code P0102 MAF

MAF went again on the '01 lw300. Tried to pass on the highway and the engine
hiccupped and went dead. Very odd that all the lights came on (service, SES,
reduced power), no response from accelerator pedal but tach showed 1500 rpm
even in neutral. Pulled car to shoulder while the car I tried to pass gave
me the 'bird'...

Turned the key off and then restarted the car. SES light stayed on but
engine ran. Shut down engine again and pulled the 'controls B+' fuse to
reset the ECU. SES stayed off for the next hundred miles I drove. When I
stopped for a rest break and restarted the motor, SES came on.

Called Carquest where I get most of my parts and they told me 'dealer only'
for the MAF. Called the local NAPA dealer and was told they could get it for
me next day if I paid in advance. Came to $117 plus a $32 core charge. This
is a remanufactured item.

After I ordered the unit through NAPA, found that it is also stocked by
Autozone for $80 with a $45 core charge.

Both the NAPA and Autozone units are remanufactured by Cardone to meet or
exceed OEM specs. I also found that the NAPA is private labeled but comes
from Cardone also.

RockAuto.com had a choice of suppliers ranging from $129 to $292 (core
charge included).

Guess I'll be rethinking where I get parts from in the future.
Oppie

Old August 12th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Forgot to add that I had an old MAF that had failed and was replaced. I
swapped it in and followed the recalibration procedure called out in the
service manual: Key on and don't start engine until after the whine stops in
the engine (~15 seconds). To my surprise, the old, 'failed' sensor that had
been sitting in my basement for about two years (with plastic caps on ends)
seemed to work. Oh, well. worst come to worst, I've got a spare.

Curious now if the output of the sensor is analog or digital. Could be that
if the output is digital, an electronic serial number is reported to the
ECU. Calibration may only done if a different ESN is present than the one
previously recorded.

MAF in backwards [email protected] Technology 6 July 31st 07 06:42 AM
OBD II P0102 - Replaced MAF, But Chk Eng Still On jgrakla Technology 6 February 26th 06 12:04 AM
So I Bought an OBD Code Reader... MAF Advice, Please Brian Running VW water cooled 2 August 10th 05 09:42 PM
MAF sensor Simon VW water cooled 3 April 11th 05 10:43 PM
2.7T A6 MAF sensor Bruce W. Ellis Audi 3 December 5th 04 02:26 AM