How to replace headlight assemblies

Old October 21st 05, 04:57 PM
Mort Guffman

Default How to replace headlight assemblies

I noticed that it's hard to see at night - my eyes aren't the best,
but I suspect the 98 Cobra's headlights are mostly to blame.

I was parked nose to nose with a Cadillac SUV last night at a gas
station. He turned on his lights and the whole area lit up with a
perfect pure clean white light. Not a overbearing blue-white light
that hurts your eyes, just a nice clean white light.

The light from my car is kind of a wimpy yellow in comparison.

The lenses are really hazed over and the bulbs are original.

I looked at the assembly to see how to remove it. It doesn't look all
that easy but I know a lot of people have done it.

How hard is it to swap them out?

What would be the best type of bulb to go with?

I could try polishing the lenses I have now. As far as I can tell all
the bad stuff is on the outside. If I could clean them up maybe just a
new set of bulbs would help. Any tips on what to use?

thanks

Mort
Old October 22nd 05, 01:04 AM

Mort Guffman wrote:
> I noticed that it's hard to see at night - my eyes aren't the best,
> but I suspect the 98 Cobra's headlights are mostly to blame.
>
> I was parked nose to nose with a Cadillac SUV last night at a gas
> station. He turned on his lights and the whole area lit up with a
> perfect pure clean white light. Not a overbearing blue-white light
> that hurts your eyes, just a nice clean white light.
>
> The light from my car is kind of a wimpy yellow in comparison.
>
> The lenses are really hazed over and the bulbs are original.
>
> I looked at the assembly to see how to remove it. It doesn't look all
> that easy but I know a lot of people have done it.
>
> How hard is it to swap them out?
>
> What would be the best type of bulb to go with?
>
> I could try polishing the lenses I have now. As far as I can tell all
> the bad stuff is on the outside. If I could clean them up maybe just a
> new set of bulbs would help. Any tips on what to use?
>
> thanks
>
> Mort

You can polish them out to a certain degree. Start with wet sanding
with a 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and LOTS of elbow grease. DOnt push
too hard. Move to a 1000, then a 1200 and then a 1500 grit (all wet
sand). I've been told not to sand in circles - sand sideways for a while
and then up and down at 90 dgree angles to each movement. Once you've
spent a couple of hours per lens sanding to the 1500 grit, clean the
lens thoroughly get some Meguiars #10 plastic polish and (optionally)
some #17 plastic cleaner/sealer. Its alot of work, but the results are
decent. If you have the cash, buy the replacements. I did the hand
polish and I am ok with the results but when I have some free cash and
time I will buy the replacement lenses.
Old October 22nd 05, 02:07 AM
Max C. Webster III

> done said:

> You can polish them out to a certain degree. Start with wet sanding with a
> 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and LOTS of elbow grease. DOnt push too hard. Move
> to a 1000, then a 1200 and then a 1500 grit (all wet sand). I've been told
> not to sand in circles - sand sideways for a while and then up and down at 90
> dgree angles to each movement. Once you've spent a couple of hours per lens
> sanding to the 1500 grit, clean the lens thoroughly get some Meguiars #10
> plastic polish and (optionally) some #17 plastic cleaner/sealer. Its alot of
> work, but the results are decent. If you have the cash, buy the replacements.
> I did the hand polish and I am ok with the results but when I have some
> free cash and time I will buy the replacement lenses.

Man, that sounds like a lot of work! How much are the replacements with or
without labor?

BTW, I've got a 2001 GT, and my lenses look like doody, too.

- Max -
=======
Do you know what it means
To miss New Orleans
And miss it each night and day . . .

http://www.secondharvest.org/

http://www.redcross.org/

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

Old October 22nd 05, 02:30 AM

Its a solid Saturday afternoons worth of work. I think I put probably
2-2.5 hours into each of mine and they turned out 'ok', but not
perfectly new.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and tape off your bodywork before you
start. Even 800 grit will make a mess of the paint around the
headlights. Trust me.

If you have time on your hands, then try polishing. If you have money ,
buy the lenses.

Old October 22nd 05, 02:32 AM
Richard

They are available on ebay all the time and are not particularly pricey. .
Here's what I bought a couple of years ago.
http://members.shaw.ca/r-manders/headlight-1
Installation is not difficult.
--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old October 22nd 05, 06:17 AM
Brent P

In article >, Mort Guffman wrote:

> What would be the best type of bulb to go with?

GE Nighthawks I believe are currently regarded to be the best bulbs on
the market. I have the previous best, sylvania xtravisions.

However, the greatest problem outside the headlamps themselves is the
wiring. The small gauge wiring can't flow enough current. I put in relays
with larger gauge wiring. I use the driver's side headlamp plug to
provide the signal to the relays.

See: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

The whole relay kit for my '97 was under $60 He also carries the
nighthawks, but I had already bought the Xtravisions locally (walmart
actually) for about half as much.

> I could try polishing the lenses I have now. As far as I can tell all
> the bad stuff is on the outside. If I could clean them up maybe just a
> new set of bulbs would help. Any tips on what to use?

I used maquires paint products, swirl remover and show car glaze
depending on how deep the hazing was. Of course this lasted shorter and
shorter each time. When one lamp got cracked I just bought a set of '98
cobra knockoffs. Ford's stock headlamp design isn't that good to begin
with so it was ok to go with these stock replacements. I would avoid any
of the rice boy crap from APC and the like.

Old October 22nd 05, 06:52 AM
66 6F HCS

"Mort Guffman" > wrote
> I was parked nose to nose with a Cadillac SUV last night at a gas
> station. He turned on his lights and the whole area lit up with a
> perfect pure clean white light. Not a overbearing blue-white light
> that hurts your eyes, just a nice clean white light.

That's cuz the Caddy had HID's and your car doesn't.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old October 24th 05, 05:11 AM
Mort Guffman

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:04:06 GMT, " >
wrote:

>Mort Guffman wrote:
>> I noticed that it's hard to see at night - my eyes aren't the best,
>> but I suspect the 98 Cobra's headlights are mostly to blame.
>>
>> I was parked nose to nose with a Cadillac SUV last night at a gas
>> station. He turned on his lights and the whole area lit up with a
>> perfect pure clean white light. Not a overbearing blue-white light
>> that hurts your eyes, just a nice clean white light.
>>
>> The light from my car is kind of a wimpy yellow in comparison.
>>
>> The lenses are really hazed over and the bulbs are original.
>>
>> I looked at the assembly to see how to remove it. It doesn't look all
>> that easy but I know a lot of people have done it.
>>
>> How hard is it to swap them out?
>>
>> What would be the best type of bulb to go with?
>>
>> I could try polishing the lenses I have now. As far as I can tell all
>> the bad stuff is on the outside. If I could clean them up maybe just a
>> new set of bulbs would help. Any tips on what to use?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Mort

> You can polish them out to a certain degree. Start with wet sanding
>with a 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and LOTS of elbow grease. DOnt push
>too hard. Move to a 1000, then a 1200 and then a 1500 grit (all wet
>sand). I've been told not to sand in circles - sand sideways for a while
>and then up and down at 90 dgree angles to each movement. Once you've
>spent a couple of hours per lens sanding to the 1500 grit, clean the
>lens thoroughly get some Meguiars #10 plastic polish and (optionally)
>some #17 plastic cleaner/sealer. Its alot of work, but the results are
>decent. If you have the cash, buy the replacements. I did the hand
>polish and I am ok with the results but when I have some free cash and
>time I will buy the replacement lenses.

Thanks for the advice. I replaced one bulb today with a Sylvania
"Silverstar" to see how much of a difference it made. It's definitely
whiter and I think brighter. Hard to say how much better it will be.

Later I swapped the second bulb. I took a ride tonight (in the rain)
and I could see OK. Still hard to say if it's significantly improved.
I think it is though.

I still want to swap out the headlight assemblies.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

Mort

Old October 25th 05, 12:35 AM
Brent P

Old October 25th 05, 02:27 AM
Dean Knight

Default Paint them - WAS: How to replace headlight assemblies

Wet-sand with 600 grit, follow with 1000. Try to remove the "fog" Then
mask off and paint with a good automotive clear coat paint. Our 2001
headlights turned out almost as good as new! Wish I had taken before and
after pics, you would not have believed it.