CD Player Question

Old December 15th 05, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default CD Player Question

I have a '99 Miata with a CD player that stopped playing CD's I've burned.
Just yesterday I burned a CD and it played in the morning- as expected.
That Afternoon I loaded the CD again only to have the player reject it every
time inserted.
The CD plays great on my home CD players.

Here are the questions:

Is my CD player going bad?
Is it out of alignment?
Is it the CD?
is it the CD Burner?

Do CD Cleaners really work on Players?
Any recommendation?

Your throughs appreciated.

TIA,
- Pat

Old December 16th 05, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

yes, your cd player could be developing a problem. but cdr discs are much
softer and so more susceptible to scratches than regular music cds. burn
another copy and see if it plays. if you are using a new method to burn the
cds than has proven reliable before then there could be an issues regarding
how the cd was burned... but first things first, see how a fresh copy plays
in the car.

Old December 16th 05, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I have a 2001 and while factory CDs play fine, copies I burn, specifically
for taking in the car, skip all over the place. I can play them in our
Toyota and our Honda, but the Miata CD player just doesn't play well with my
CD-R discs. Guess it's just a Mazda thing. The discs are not scratched and
again, when I use the factory made disc, it plays without problem.

Old December 16th 05, 08:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Rick Morris wrote:
> I have a 2001 and while factory CDs play fine, copies I burn, specifically
> for taking in the car, skip all over the place. I can play them in our
> Toyota and our Honda, but the Miata CD player just doesn't play well with my
> CD-R discs. Guess it's just a Mazda thing. The discs are not scratched and
> again, when I use the factory made disc, it plays without problem.
>
> On 12/15/05 8:30 PM, in article JEpof.4857$Bj4.1742@trndny01, "Christopher
> Muto" > wrote:
>

>>yes, your cd player could be developing a problem. but cdr discs are much
>>softer and so more susceptible to scratches than regular music cds. burn
>>another copy and see if it plays. if you are using a new method to burn the
>>cds than has proven reliable before then there could be an issues regarding
>>how the cd was burned... but first things first, see how a fresh copy plays
>>in the car.
>>
>>"Pat Dreiding" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a '99 Miata with a CD player that stopped playing CD's I've burned.
>>>Just yesterday I burned a CD and it played in the morning- as expected.
>>>That Afternoon I loaded the CD again only to have the player reject it
>>>every
>>>time inserted.
>>>The CD plays great on my home CD players.
>>>
>>>Here are the questions:
>>>
>>>Is my CD player going bad?
>>>Is it out of alignment?
>>>Is it the CD?
>>>is it the CD Burner?
>>>
>>>Do CD Cleaners really work on Players?
>>>Any recommendation?
>>>
>>>Your throughs appreciated.
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>- Pat

I have had no problems with disks I have burnt except when they have
collected condensation. Could it be down to weather conditions?
Old December 16th 05, 11:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I have had similar problems with some of the CDs I've
burned. I found that the brand of blank CDs I used made a
difference - some worked fine while others skipped while
playing. Those that skipped in my Miata worked fine in my
home player. Try a different brand of CDs. You might swap
with friends to try an assortment of brands.

Cleaning discs for CD players can help - a little. The face
of the laser can accumulate dust and scum from the air
(think about not cleaning the inside of your windows for a
few months). I've been told that similar scum can get on
the CDs laser. Cleaning sometimes stops CD skipping.

FWIW, a car wax with a "cleaner" in it can be used to polish
out fine scratches on CDs and plastic eyeglass lenses (it
has even taken paint overspray off my glasses!).

Old December 16th 05, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default CD Player Question (CD brands impact)

Here is a summary of the feedback.

1.. Miata CD players are more sensitive than others. Burned CDs that play well on Home or other vehicle Players might not play on the Miata CD player. This is a fact of life and we have to live with it.
2.. Cleaning the CD player may have an impact. Has anyone had experience with this?
3.. The Brand of CD may have an impact. I've always purchased the CD-R's that are on sale.
I would like to get a consensus from the news group about the brands of CDs used and their evaluation.
I've burned CDs of the following brands with NO success playing on the Miata CD player.
1.. Maxell
2.. Great Quality (GQ)
3..
What's on your list? Good or Bad. Good CDs is the real goal here.

TIA,
- Pat

Old December 16th 05, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2005-12-16, Pat Dreiding > wrote:

> 3.. The Brand of CD may have an impact. I've always
> purchased the = CD-R's that are on sale. I would like to
> get a consensus from the news group about the brands of
> = CDs used and their evaluation.

Brands are meaningless.

There are something like 2 or 3 CD manufacturers. You've
probably never heard of any of them. All of the "brands" buy
CDs from the same manufacturers. The Maxell CDs you buy next
week might be manufactured by a different company than the ones
you bought this week.

If you want to gather data about compatibility you need to know
the _manufacturer_ (not the brand) and probably batch numbers
and dye types.

I've found that burning at a lower speed (e.g. 8X instead of
32X) often helps.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! This ASEXUAL
at PIG really BOILS
Old December 16th 05, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default CD Player Question (problem getting worse)

I purchased the Maxell auto CD player cleaner. It did not work for my
burned CDs, so I tested the player with purchased CDs that had always
worked. Purchased CDs no longer work! Ugh!! I'm believe that my CD
player is bad. I don't believe that the cleaner had a negative impact.
Thank you for all your inputs on this.

Anyone have a suggestion for a quick and easy replacement for the '99 stock
CD player?

Regards,
- Pat

Old December 16th 05, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Pat Dreiding" > wrote in

> Anyone have a suggestion for a quick and easy replacement for the
> '99 stock CD player?

Check Ebay and the local wrecking yards.

Old December 17th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

The main problem with most CD players installed in automobiles is the dust
that accumulates on the lens of the player. Before you replace the CD
player, remove it and clean the lens with a cotton swap and alcohol. I
leave a disk loaded in my CD player all the time to reduce the amount of
dust that lands on the lens. The other problem that can occur is the grease
hardens on the drive that moves the laser assembly in and out. The laser
must move freely to the center of the disk to read the table of contents
before the disk can be played. If you do not get a track number in the
display on start up, chances are that the laser drive needs to be cleaned
and relubricated.