how long before Asimo type robots are the driver?

Old December 15th 05, 06:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default how long before Asimo type robots are the driver? (NMC)

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Ex post facto for sure, but I'd wager my Miata that the name is based on
> "Asimov." Isaac Asimov was the first author to write about robots
> rationally, without sensationalism. The first to put serious thought
> into their impact on society.

I finally put (NMC) in the subject line. At least this is better than
politics.

I also suggest Asimov's writing on robots to anyone who has not read
them. Before Asimov, most robots were thought of as "Lost in Space" or
C3P0/R2D2.
Well, actually they still are by many people. The humanoid robots that
will eventually be developed will be far from slow and awkward in their
movements.

Pat
Old December 15th 05, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pws wrote:

"I also suggest Asimov's writing on robots to anyone who has not read
them. Before Asimov, most robots were thought of as "Lost in Space" or
C3P0/R2D2".

Oops! Make that C3P0/R2D2 "type" robots. I know that Asimov's writings
on robots preceded the "Star Wars" novels and movies. :-/

Pat
Old December 15th 05, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pws > wrote:

>Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>
>>> how long before Asimo type robots are the driver?

>> It seems to me that at 1.20 m, the thing might have trouble seeing
>> over the dash.

>> They may not be able to see him very well. Padding the seat with another
>> 170,000 one-dollar bills should help.
>>
>> Leon

>Ok, maybe we'd have better luck with his older brother, the P3. :-)
>
>http://www.honda-robots.com/english/...frameset2.html
>

>What is 1 meter 60 tall? Is that 1.6 meters?

Yes. A more comfortable 5' 3".

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old December 15th 05, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Don Bruder > wrote:

>> > Advanced Step in Innnovative MObility.

>No kidding... Yeesh, given thirty seconds, I came up with "Automated
>Semi-Intelligent Mobile Operative" as a *MUCH* (IMNSHO) better sounding,
>more accurate, and less "clunky" expansion. for it. <sigh> Dang japs
>just ain't got any imagination, I tell ya!

Why do you think they are spending all this effort on robots? OK,
the acronym expansion software still can do with some improvement,
but you have to start somewhere.

Old December 16th 05, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
Jim > wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:39:20 -0800, Don Bruder > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> >> Ex post facto for sure, but I'd wager my Miata that the name is based on
> >> "Asimov." Isaac Asimov was the first author to write about robots
> >> rationally, without sensationalism. The first to put serious thought
> >> into their impact on society.

> >Agreed. Considering his writings, both fiction and non-fiction, and his
> >contributions to science, I, for one, would consider it to be nothing
> >other than a perfectly fitting tribute if a robot model were named for
> >the man who effectively defined what a robot should eventually be.

> Although Asimov is better known in this country, I don't think you can
> just ignore Stanislaw Lem when it comes to writing SF stories involving
> robots.
>
> Jim

Lem was indeed the earlier writer, however I think that Asimov "did it
better" overall. Trying to remember titles... Wasn't "Adam Link, Robot"
one of Lem's? When you get right down to it, that one was essentially
"Frankenstein's Monster In His Own Words - My Life as a Metal Man".

Asimov looked more closely at how robots belonged in society as useful
tools - sometimes quite personable, but always, ultimately, tools -
where Lem seemed more interested in how robots might find their place in
society as people in their own right. Or at least, that's *MY* take on
things.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

5 killed as 78 year old bus driver hits jackknifed semi Del Cecchi Driving 8 October 20th 05 03:43 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
MFFY RV Driver Skip Elliott Bowman Driving 1 February 22nd 05 08:24 AM
Type question [email protected] VW air cooled 8 February 2nd 05 04:00 AM