2006 Packages

Old December 14th 05, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 2006 Packages

I'm sure this has been discussed but....

For fun I was playing on the Mazda site and started "building" a
Miata. I don't need a lot of options. I figure a Club Spec with the
suspension package will be enough for my driving fun. But look. I have
to get at least the Sport model to be able to add the suspension
package. Is it just me or do you thing the people intrested in the
Club Spec would want the suspension package too?? Very annoying.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old December 14th 05, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Scott Streeter > wrote:

>I'm sure this has been discussed but....
>
>For fun I was playing on the Mazda site and started "building" a
>Miata. I don't need a lot of options. I figure a Club Spec with the
>suspension package will be enough for my driving fun. But look. I have
>to get at least the Sport model to be able to add the suspension
>package. Is it just me or do you thing the people intrested in the
>Club Spec would want the suspension package too?? Very annoying.

I think Mazda figures that most people buying the Club Spec are going to go out
and upgrade the suspension beyond what the suspension package offers anyway.

There are three Mazdaspeed options either out or coming out. You can buy MS
springs, MS shocks, or a full coilover kit.

--
Craig Wagner, craig(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com
Portland, OR

"Don't ban high-performance vehicles, ban low-performance drivers!"
Old December 14th 05, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
Scott Streeter > wrote:

> I figure a Club Spec with the
> suspension package will be enough for my driving fun. But look. I have
> to get at least the Sport model to be able to add the suspension
> package. Is it just me or do you thing the people intrested in the
> Club Spec would want the suspension package too?? Very annoying.

Yep, it is. But that's how most cars are sold today, I suppose. They
probably make more money on the options than the car.

If I were in the market for an NC, I'd want A/C, cruise, and a Torsen.
That means a Sport with the suspension package, then replacing the
shocks, springs, and swaybars with aftermarket items that actually work.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda loosened up the option list once sales
start slacking off.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 15th 05, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Craig Wagner > wrote:

>Scott Streeter > wrote:
>
>>I'm sure this has been discussed but....
>>
>>For fun I was playing on the Mazda site and started "building" a
>>Miata. I don't need a lot of options. I figure a Club Spec with the
>>suspension package will be enough for my driving fun. But look. I have
>>to get at least the Sport model to be able to add the suspension
>>package. Is it just me or do you thing the people intrested in the
>>Club Spec would want the suspension package too?? Very annoying.

>I think Mazda figures that most people buying the Club Spec are going to go out
>and upgrade the suspension beyond what the suspension package offers anyway.

Unfortunately, that puts you in Street Prepared.

>There are three Mazdaspeed options either out or coming out. You can buy MS
>springs, MS shocks, or a full coilover kit.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old December 15th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> Scott Streeter > wrote:
>
>> I figure a Club Spec with the
>> suspension package will be enough for my driving fun. But look. I have
>> to get at least the Sport model to be able to add the suspension
>> package. Is it just me or do you thing the people intrested in the
>> Club Spec would want the suspension package too?? Very annoying.

>Yep, it is. But that's how most cars are sold today, I suppose. They
>probably make more money on the options than the car.

I have no doubt. I would guess the club is there to be able to say that
the Miata is priced below $21,000, and that they are fervently hoping
that nobody will actually buy one.

Surely nobody in Florida is going to buy the Club, since it means no A/C.
(A/C is not an option.) Conversely, anyone who would rather do without
A/C is forced to the weight and expense since all non Club packages have
it.

I really need a decent cruise control, not an aftermarket sort of thing.
There go the Club and the MX5, even if I wanted to live without A/C.
There come the power locks; I can only hope that these door locks will not
break down and get me into trouble and expense if I never use them.
There too come the incredibly ugly Buick steering wheel loaded
with radio buttons and whatever buttons. This is a *sports* car?

So, the A/C and cruise control together cost me $2,000 and bring in
an ugly steering wheel and useless power door locks that will cause
me only trouble.

May as well go for limited slip differential and suspension package
by now. Unfortunately, that also brings in the oversized, probably
heavy, 17" wheels.

Finally, I found the leather seats noticeably more comfortable, so
I may as well take the last step. Grand Touring, here I come. And
so do the "silver door rings" and proprietary Bose system with no
aftermarket replacement parts. Of course, I am now able to order
the "Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry & Start System", which I assume
to be a crowbar in case the electronic door locks fail and a hot
wiring kit in case the optional alarm system, also only for the
Grand Touring, fails. And I can install run-flat tires with Tire
Pressure Monitor System in case I want to take the twisties with flat
tires and be sure that they are really, really, flat.

>If I were in the market for an NC, I'd want A/C, cruise, and a Torsen.
>That means a Sport with the suspension package, then replacing the
>shocks, springs, and swaybars with aftermarket items that actually work.
>
>I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda loosened up the option list once sales
>start slacking off.

Not that obvious. The cruise control and audio are really build into the
steering wheel, rather than modular. Anybody wants to argue that there
is still a remote possibility that the brilliant idea of that steering
wheel did *not* come from a Ford manager?

Anybody happen to know why the EPA mileage is 25/30 for Club-Touring
and 24/30 for Sport-Grand? (I can figure out why the AT would be
23/30, but the difference in weight between Touring and Sport is
only 24 lb. Are it the big wheels?)

Old December 15th 05, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

(Leon van Dommelen) writes:

> [...]

> >That means a Sport with the suspension package, then replacing the
> >shocks, springs, and swaybars with aftermarket items that actually work.
> >
> >I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda loosened up the option list once sales
> >start slacking off.

> Not that obvious. The cruise control and audio are really build into the
> steering wheel, rather than modular. Anybody wants to argue that there
> is still a remote possibility that the brilliant idea of that steering
> wheel did *not* come from a Ford manager?
>
> Anybody happen to know why the EPA mileage is 25/30 for Club-Touring
> and 24/30 for Sport-Grand? (I can figure out why the AT would be
> 23/30, but the difference in weight between Touring and Sport is
> only 24 lb. Are it the big wheels?)
>
> Leon
> --
> Leon van Dommelen Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)

Aren't you up to the 6 speed at that point? Might change the EPA
milage. So ya the packages suck. I live in the snow belt so I'll need
snow tires. Now I need run flat snow tires. And 17" tires cost way
more than 16" tires... etc.. I was looking at the Solstice on
Pontica's web site and they have much more livable option
packages. Maybe Mazda will notice that people want a little more
customization in ordering their cars.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old December 15th 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Scott Streeter > wrote:

>snow tires. Now I need run flat snow tires. And 17" tires cost way
>more than 16" tires... etc..

Why do you need run flat snow tires? I have a GT and don't even have the run
flat package. It's not a requirement, it's an option. Don't get it.

>I was looking at the Solstice on
>Pontica's web site and they have much more livable option
>packages.

Including those 18" wheels you mean? If you think 17" tires are expensive...

>Maybe Mazda will notice that people want a little more
>customization in ordering their cars.

You want customization, buy a Scion.

Old December 16th 05, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Scott Streeter > wrote:

(Leon van Dommelen) writes:

> [...]

>> >I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda loosened up the option list once sales
>> >start slacking off.

>> Not that obvious. The cruise control and audio are really build into the
>> steering wheel, rather than modular. Anybody wants to argue that there
>> is still a remote possibility that the brilliant idea of that steering
>> wheel did *not* come from a Ford manager?
>>
>> Anybody happen to know why the EPA mileage is 25/30 for Club-Touring
>> and 24/30 for Sport-Grand? (I can figure out why the AT would be
>> 23/30, but the difference in weight between Touring and Sport is
>> only 24 lb. Are it the big wheels?)
>>
>> Leon
>> --
>> Leon van Dommelen Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)
>> http://www.dommelen.net/miata
>> EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

>Aren't you up to the 6 speed at that point? Might change the EPA

You are right. The sport and touring are also the ones with the
6 speed. Not clear to me why that would decrease mileage, but it
seems reasonable that it may affect the EPA's definition of
mileage.

> So ya the packages suck. I live in the snow belt so I'll need
>snow tires. Now I need run flat snow tires.

How about taking your chances with a can of fix-a-flat and a cell
phone?

> And 17" tires cost way
>more than 16" tires... etc..

I will be looking for 16" wheels. As well as for some compact spare
that would fit.

> I was looking at the Solstice on
>Pontica's web site and they have much more livable option
>packages. Maybe Mazda will notice that people want a little more
>customization in ordering their cars.

Eventually they might notice that it greatly affects their capability
of competing with the Pontiac. Anyway, I am happy with the Grand
Touring package, despite stupid door locks, steering wheel, oversize
wheels, silver door rings, Bose, cloth top.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

Used sedan recommendation? 2000OdysseyLX Technology 48 December 16th 05 03:10 AM
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL steve_s Honda 1 September 30th 05 04:24 AM
2006 Accords And Camrys: When Will Be Showing Up ? Daniel J. Stern Driving 9 July 17th 05 04:18 AM
2006 5 series E60 - when? sycle BMW 0 July 1st 05 05:35 AM
buying bmw 325 (2005 vs 2006) Ruwan BMW 2 September 19th 04 11:27 PM