Perhaps I should buy a Miata?

Old December 13th 05, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Perhaps I should buy a Miata?

i'm sure pretty much every answer i get here will be *slightly* biased
since this is a miata usenet group, but here we go... my '91 Honda CRX
probably threw a rod about a week ago and i've been scrambling for cash
to either repair or replace it.
i haven't actually been able to talk to him just yet but i found out
yesterday that a friend of mine is thinking of selling his '91 miata
(british racing green with tan leather interior) and would give me a
great deal on it... $900

the CRX has been a great car and fun to drive... it's a completely
stock 4 speed auto with the only "mod" being projector headlights so i
can see better at night. i've heard good things about the miata so i'm
considering buying my friends car and would like a few opinions on the
matter from current miata owners. i'm looking for a fun commuter since
i work on the other side of town and spend a good part of the day in my
car.

here are the issues:
room... the crx is spacious for a small car, especially with the back
"seat" floded down and has plenty of head and leg room. the miata seems
as though it may be cramped (haven't been in one for a while) but i've
also driven a porsche 914 in the past and wonder if anyone knows how it
compares in head/leg room?

power windows... one of his power windows falls down into the door when
going over bumps in the road... how difficult is that to repair?

convertable... how serious is road noise and weather concerns with the
miata soft top?

repairs and maintenance... with only a slight bit of mechanic ability
i'm only able to do so much on my own, what sort of issues should i
keep my eyes open for with the miata?

comfort... what's it like to sit in one of those stock leather seats
for a couple of hours?

that's it for now until i get a few responses... i've got about a week
before i need to make a decision and any useful input would be
appreciated.

Old December 13th 05, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

wrote:
> i'm sure pretty much every answer i get here will be *slightly* biased
> since this is a miata usenet group, but here we go... my '91 Honda CRX
> probably threw a rod about a week ago and i've been scrambling for cash
> to either repair or replace it.
> i haven't actually been able to talk to him just yet but i found out
> yesterday that a friend of mine is thinking of selling his '91 miata
> (british racing green with tan leather interior) and would give me a
> great deal on it... $900
>
> the CRX has been a great car and fun to drive... it's a completely
> stock 4 speed auto with the only "mod" being projector headlights so i
> can see better at night. i've heard good things about the miata so i'm
> considering buying my friends car and would like a few opinions on the
> matter from current miata owners. i'm looking for a fun commuter since
> i work on the other side of town and spend a good part of the day in my
> car.
>
> here are the issues:
> room... the crx is spacious for a small car, especially with the back
> "seat" floded down and has plenty of head and leg room. the miata seems
> as though it may be cramped (haven't been in one for a while) but i've
> also driven a porsche 914 in the past and wonder if anyone knows how it
> compares in head/leg room?
>
> power windows... one of his power windows falls down into the door when
> going over bumps in the road... how difficult is that to repair?
>
> convertable... how serious is road noise and weather concerns with the
> miata soft top?
>
> repairs and maintenance... with only a slight bit of mechanic ability
> i'm only able to do so much on my own, what sort of issues should i
> keep my eyes open for with the miata?
>
> comfort... what's it like to sit in one of those stock leather seats
> for a couple of hours?
>
> that's it for now until i get a few responses... i've got about a week
> before i need to make a decision and any useful input would be
> appreciated.

$900.00? Is something wrong with it? If not, it is a terrible vehicle
for you, and can I please have the name and number of your friend? ;-)

See my next post for serious answers.

Pat
Old December 13th 05, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

wrote:

> here are the issues:
> room... the crx is spacious for a small car, especially with the back
> "seat" floded down and has plenty of head and leg room. the miata seems
> as though it may be cramped (haven't been in one for a while) but i've
> also driven a porsche 914 in the past and wonder if anyone knows how it
> compares in head/leg room?

Only you will be able to tell by sitting in the car and driving it. I am
5 foot 9 inches and skinny and the car fits me perfectly. I have heard
of people much larger than myself having no problems, but I have also
received complaints on how small the interior is from some large passengers.

> power windows... one of his power windows falls down into the door when
> going over bumps in the road... how difficult is that to repair?

Not that difficult, but a shop will probably charge 2 or 3 hours of
labor plus the cost of the part. I now have 3 sets of working power
windows and can install them, so this would not be an issue for me.

Even if I didn't have the windows or ability to put them in, if this is
the worst problem that the car has, I would snatch it up.

> convertable... how serious is road noise and weather concerns with the
> miata soft top?

The road noise is high, miatas are noisy. Weather was never a problem
for me, but the top will wear out eventually. His has probably either
been replaced or is getting ratty by now.
A good test is to take a hose to it and see if it leaks. A little water
will get in if you hit it hard enough at the window seals, but it
shouldn't let much in.
One option is to get a hardtop, but they sell for the price that you
would pay for the car, roughly $800.00 to $1200.00 used.

> repairs and maintenance... with only a slight bit of mechanic ability
> i'm only able to do so much on my own, what sort of issues should i
> keep my eyes open for with the miata?

Here is everything you need to know about buying a used miata.

http://miata.net/faq/inspection_list.html

> comfort... what's it like to sit in one of those stock leather seats
> for a couple of hours?

I drove 3600 miles in 12 days and found the leather seats to be great. A
couple of hours has never been a problem for me in any of the miatas I
have traveled in.

HTH,

Pat
Old December 13th 05, 10:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> i'm sure pretty much every answer i get here will be

*slightly* biased
> since this is a miata usenet group, but here we go... my

'91 Honda CRX
> probably threw a rod about a week ago and i've been

scrambling for cash
> to either repair or replace it.
> i haven't actually been able to talk to him just yet but i

found out
> yesterday that a friend of mine is thinking of selling his

'91 miata
> (british racing green with tan leather interior) and would

give me a
> great deal on it... $900
>
> the CRX has been a great car and fun to drive... it's a

completely
> stock 4 speed auto with the only "mod" being projector

headlights so i
> can see better at night. i've heard good things about the

miata so i'm
> considering buying my friends car and would like a few

opinions on the
> matter from current miata owners. i'm looking for a fun

commuter since
> i work on the other side of town and spend a good part of

the day in my
> car.
>
> here are the issues:
> room... the crx is spacious for a small car, especially

with the back
> "seat" floded down and has plenty of head and leg room.

the miata seems
> as though it may be cramped (haven't been in one for a

while) but i've
> also driven a porsche 914 in the past and wonder if anyone

knows how it
> compares in head/leg room?

As for carrying things, I borrow a friend's Camry any time I
want to carry anything bigger than a 2 gal gas can, though
by being creative with bunge chords and pads, I have carried
2x4 sheets of plywood and a boxed 19" TV!

> power windows... one of his power windows falls down into

the door when
> going over bumps in the road... how difficult is that to

repair?

> convertable... how serious is road noise and weather

concerns with the
> miata soft top?
>
> repairs and maintenance... with only a slight bit of

mechanic ability
> i'm only able to do so much on my own, what sort of issues

should i
> keep my eyes open for with the miata?
>
> comfort... what's it like to sit in one of those stock

leather seats
> for a couple of hours?

I use my Miata as a daily driver, but I average only 10K per
year. Any more than 4-5 hours at a time and the car starts
to feel uncomfortable. Then again, maybe turning 60 has
something to do with that.

> that's it for now until i get a few responses... i've got

about a week
> before i need to make a decision and any useful input

would be
> appreciated.

FWIW, I will be selling my Miata in the next few months and
will be buying an Altima (or maybe I'll think green and
spring for a Prius). I'm a realtor, starting over in FL
after moving from SO CAL. In CA, I was established as a
listing agent and never had to carry clients, but starting
over in FL means working with buyers, so I need 4 seats.
There is also an issue with aging and a bad back that make
rolling out of my Miata more of a problem than it used to
be. And finally, I'm just not enjoying the car as much as I
used to - CA twisties were just more fun than the bumpy
straight roads they have here in FL. I've had a Miata for 9
years and I feel sad just thinking of giving it up....

Old December 13th 05, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Debated over 30 years about a sports car but never practical with a wife
and 2 kids, and a big house/property in the suburbs....and then there
was the college tuition in the last 8 years.

Finally bought the "toy" ('05 silver) and love every minute of it. I
commute 3 hours a day in the NE with no problem, although my near 60
body may start to complain. Got through the panic of buying snow tires
(just any snow tire would not do...."it is the ride stupid" ... and
using my wife's car to carry the four originals back home for storage.
No room except for my wife, but what a ride! Like someone said, it hums
along and does your bidding with enthusiasm, taking turns, and avoidance
swerves (did I tell you how bad New England drivers are) with no effort.

I have not had enough experience with the service and repair yet, but
all my research points to the car being very reliable. I found a
reliable dealer, and a really great salesperson, who is also a long-time
Miata owner, so the learning curve was easy.

$900! Are you sure the seller is okay?

Old December 13th 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I'm a new Miata owner (a week or so) and have been in both CRX's and 914's.

> here are the issues:
> room...

The Miata is tight but comfortable for me. I'm 6-1" and 220lb, but not
long-legged. The only squeeze is getting the seat belt on because the car is
narrow. If I had longer legs the Miata would be contra-indicated fer sure.

The CRX was definitely more roomy in front, altho I didn't enjoy riding in
back. The 914 too, had a "wider" feel to it. Head room was about the
same, tho the view from the Miata is much more compressed - it's like I'm in
a bunker, until I remember it's fabric. =:O

> convertable... how serious is road noise and weather concerns with the
> miata soft top?

I thought the car had a rear end bearing problem until I happened to drive
over a small section of brand new tar laid down last September... the noise
stopped while I was on the new tar! Everywhere else in the city it's noisy.
It's on a par with previous small ragtops I've had - a Spitfire and an MGA.
I'd say it's borderline noisy to where I'd avoid taking longer trips in it.
Weatherwise I can't help you except to say it's got a good heater.

Hope that helps.

miker

Old December 13th 05, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

i used to own a '88 crx and loved it. that was the first year of the new
and last body style (same as yours). the car was sporty and fun and had
lots of cargo space. being front wheel drive it was a champ in the snow. i
regularly got over 40mpg (and as high as 52 at times).

fun:
i now have a '95 miata. it is much more fun to drive. the handling is
responsive and precise. with good tires it sticks to the road much better
than the honda ever did. the honda looked sporty, the miata is sporty.

noise:
however the miata is noisy. the crx wasn't a quiet car by any means, but
the miata is far nosier. that doesn't matter when the top is down, but with
the top up, it makes long highway trips undesirable. i suppose that a hard
top would go a long way to help reduce the noise but they are not cheap and
you need a place to keep it when it is not on the car.

space:
the miata it is much smaller than the crx, so small that i actually have to
make concessions about what i pack when traveling with someone else. so
small that i often don't buy things in stores because i know i can't take it
home in my car. so small that i have to get out of it to change my mind.
i really miss being able to put my bike in the back like i could in the
honda.

snow:
the miata being light and rear wheel drive is pretty bad in the snow. many
people in the northeast either store them for the winter months or have a
second set of tires (true snow tires). if it is to be used as a daily
driver then you really need a set of snow tires. i have year round tires
and simply keep it parked until the streets are clear enough to drive in the
winter (not an option for many people).

all that being said i love the miata. but the above are real issues that
you should consider. also, the miata is a reliable car, on par with the
crx. unlike the crx, there is amazing support for the miata. between
miata.net and the great people in this group there is a wealth of
information available to address any problem that you may encounter.

oups.com...

Old December 13th 05, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

wrote in news:1134450910.847315.182260
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
> here are the issues:
> room... the crx is spacious for a small car, especially with the back
> "seat" floded down and has plenty of head and leg room. the miata seems
> as though it may be cramped (haven't been in one for a while) but i've
> also driven a porsche 914 in the past and wonder if anyone knows how it
> compares in head/leg room?

Don't know about 914s, but I'm 6'2" 195 lbs and I have the seat only
about 2/3 of the way back w/ room to slide and/or tilt the seat back
several more inches. This is very user-specific tho. I drive much
closer to the wheel that many people. My 5'8" brother usually leaves the
seat where it is and my 5'10" dad often moves seats back when getting in
a car to drive after me.

You mentioned the car you're looking at is a 91. I assume the interior
is much the same as my 94. The NB (99-05) and NC (06-?) are
significantly different inside. Most of the NBs I have been in have too-
thick or just too-high seats and my line-of-sight ends up being quite a
bit higher on the windshield than in my NA. In the 06 I drove, my sight
level seemed OK, but w/ the top up, my head was much closer to brushing
the top.

> power windows... one of his power windows falls down into the door when
> going over bumps in the road... how difficult is that to repair?

I have manuals, no help for you there.

> convertable... how serious is road noise and weather concerns with the
> miata soft top?

New or old? Mine was pretty suspect after about 5 years. It would often
leak around the windows in heavy rains. And of course the rear, plastic
windows often yellow and/or crack over time. I would be pretty suprised
if a 91 still had the original top. I'm on my second replacement (only
because the first got "slashed"), a Duetto with the no-zip glass window.
Glass windows are one of the best upgrades you can make to an NA that has
to suffer with having the top up part of the year.

> repairs and maintenance... with only a slight bit of mechanic ability
> i'm only able to do so much on my own, what sort of issues should i
> keep my eyes open for with the miata?

Did you mention the mileage? I missed it if you did. I would assume
based on age it's had the timing belt replaced a time or few. That's
really the only big one w/ most Miatas. The belt and other things that
you change at the same time (water pump etc) can be a bit expensive.
Other than that, clutch slave cylinders, plugs/wires & tires are about
it. Oh, and unless you're willing to run on shocks that are no longer
doing their job, if the car has original shocks, those should be replaced
(they've been on my to-be-purchased list for way too long).

> comfort... what's it like to sit in one of those stock leather seats
> for a couple of hours?

Like the passenger space question, this one is very personal, but since
you asked.. My Miata is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. This
may sound a bit rediculous, yes I've driven luxory cars, caddys etc, but
I like the glove-like fit (I really shouldnt' use that figure of speech
since I can never find gloves that really fit well..). My brother has a
99 10th Anniversary Edition Miata, and even that isn't as comfortable.
The seats in my base-model 94 just fit me. The lateral support is
excellent, the seat (with a slight lumbar modification) is just right.
The only thing about long distance trips that gets uncomfortable for me
is the lack of cruise control which keeps me from relaxing my legs.

OK, that got a bit longer than I planned. So I'll quit now.

-Scott
Old December 13th 05, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2005-12-13, Mr Pickwick > wrote:

> Got through the panic of buying snow tires
> (just any snow tire would not do...."it is the ride stupid" ... and
> using my wife's car to carry the four originals back home for storage.

I used to haul 4 tires in my '96, but the idiots at Mazda
shrunk the trunk in the NB design, so I can no longer fit one
of them in the trunk -- now I have to make two trips when I buy
new tires. [I do the normal spring/fall changover myself: get
an extra set of wheels for the snow tires and a floor jack --
it's worth it].

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'd like MY data-base
at JULIENNED and stir-fried!