GTR, GTS, GT - what does it all mean?

Old December 20th 05, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GTR, GTS, GT - what does it all mean?

In light of some discussions here on the merits of GTR, and since I've
installed the SportsCar Challenge mod to F1C, I've realized there are
some things I ought to know.

In SCC there are quite a few classes of cars you can race, and in GTR
there are at least that class (maybe more, I've just played the demo).

But, what on earth do all those letters mean? What is GT, GTS, GTR and
that letter soup?

Anyone care to give me some enlightening links and brief me on what all
those race classes are all about?

I guess I should say that where I come from. I live in F1 land, and know
about F1 and F2 racing from the sixties until now. Apart from that I'm
embarrasingly uneducated...

I mean, there are quite a lot of racing sims out there that I can't
appreciate enough since I don't know what they are trying to
simulate. Time for some education I think.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 20th 05, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> But, what on earth do all those letters mean? What is GT, GTS, GTR and
> that letter soup?

FIA and SCCA each have their own set of classes.

FIA - F1 (traction control allowed except for initial start.
no underbody tunneling, a flat skidboard is used instead).
F2
F3
GT1 (traction control allowed)
GT2 (traction control not allowed)
GT3 (traction control not allowed)
LM (Lemans - usually closed cockpit)
LMP (Lemans Prototype, open cockpit)

I think GT1, GT2, and GT3 have replaced the older GT, GTR, GTS names.

USA Champ Cars (no traction control, underbody tunneling instead of skidboard
Almost all road coarse now, two medium ovals, no high speed ovals).
IRL (no traction control - underbody tunneling).
Almost all ovals, some high speed.
NASCAR - (no traction control, body shells have to match a form
downforce - air dams up front, spoiler in back, tilted body).
Almost all ovals. The two high speed ovals events use restrictor plates.
Toyota Atlantic - similar to the old Indy light cars. This series is
changing to Ford Duratech engines, so the Toyota name goes away. Under
body tunneling allowed.

SCCA - many classes, some are single car specific.

F3000 - multiple orginazations, multiple standards. FIA eliminated their
F3000, suggesting that teams run in F2 instead.

Old December 21st 05, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

GT= Grand Touring
S= sport

Old December 21st 05, 09:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On 20 Dec 2005 18:34:20 +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:

> In light of some discussions here on the merits of GTR, and since I've
> installed the SportsCar Challenge mod to F1C, I've realized there are
> some things I ought to know.
>
> In SCC there are quite a few classes of cars you can race, and in GTR
> there are at least that class (maybe more, I've just played the demo).
>
> But, what on earth do all those letters mean? What is GT, GTS, GTR and
> that letter soup?

I remember asking my dad that when I was about six, and he said GT was
an abbreviation for "Grand Tourismo" or summin. Sorry about the rest

cheers,

uwe
--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 21st 05, 10:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

GT -- Grand Touring
GTU -- GT Under - smaller sized engines
GTO -- GT Over -- larger than GT size engines
These classes have long changed... as others have stated.

I thought sim wise it was;

GTR -- Grand Touring "Racing" -- No?
GTL -- Grand Touring "Legends"

Curious to other replies.....
==--==

Old December 21st 05, 12:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"==--==" > writes:

> GT -- Grand Touring
> GTU -- GT Under - smaller sized engines
> GTO -- GT Over -- larger than GT size engines
> These classes have long changed... as others have stated.

Yeah, there seems to be a meriad of classes and I have a hard time
understanding them all.

> I thought sim wise it was;
>
> GTR -- Grand Touring "Racing" -- No?
> GTL -- Grand Touring "Legends"

Interesting note, I hadn't thought there was a method to it. Maybe there
is.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 21st 05, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Jeff Reid" > writes:

> > But, what on earth do all those letters mean? What is GT, GTS, GTR and
> > that letter soup?

> FIA and SCCA each have their own set of classes.

Thanks for your summary Jeff!

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 21st 05, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

You can go to the source for FIA events:

http://www.fia.com/sport/Championshi...ships2005.html

Old December 21st 05, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Jeff Reid" > writes:

> You can go to the source for FIA events:
>
> http://www.fia.com/sport/Championshi...ships2005.html

Hadn't thought about that. Thanks.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 22nd 05, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>> You can go to the source for FIA events:
>>
>> http://www.fia.com/sport/Championshi...ships2005.html

> Hadn't thought about that. Thanks.

It's due to an instictive male response, reading the instructions
is only done as a last resort.