Ford Focus electric vehicles to come with liquid cooled battery...

Old September 6th 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Ford Focus electric vehicles to come with liquid cooled battery...

In article >, chuckcar > wrote:
wrote in
:

>> Some people have water cooled computers.
>> http://www.pugetsystems.com
>> has an article about submerging a computer in an aquariam/fish tank
>> full of mineral oil, to help keep it cool.

>Nothing new. The Cray-2 was cooled by liquid nitrogen back in the
>1980's. And then there's the alcohol cooled computer. The web site
>no longer seems to be there, but they brought a 66Mhz 486 up to just
>shy of 1Ghz if memory serves.

You're a few years off on the Cray-2, and it was cooled by Fluorinert (which
boils a lot higher tha nitrogen does).

Water cooling of batteries seems like an alarming thing to me, because it
means the battery efficiency is so low that the battery is wasting energy
as heat. Efficient machines don't get hot.

I understand heat losses in a PWM controller are inevitable and made worse
by that fact that everyone wants to pack all the electronics into a tiny
little space. But batteries?
--scott
Old September 7th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

Controllers get hot.. batteries get hot under hard use, but the heat/
effeciency loss is an order of magnitude less than what a regular car
engine wastes.
Well-to-wheels, a modern EV is appx 50% more effecient than a modern
gas car.
Ben

Old September 7th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
chuckcar

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in
:

> In article >, chuckcar
> > wrote:
wrote in
:

>>> Some people have water cooled computers.

http://www.pugetsystems.com
>>> has an article about submerging a computer in an aquariam/fish tank
>>> full of mineral oil, to help keep it cool.

>>Nothing new. The Cray-2 was cooled by liquid nitrogen back in the
>>1980's. And then there's the alcohol cooled computer. The web site
>>no longer seems to be there, but they brought a 66Mhz 486 up to just
>>shy of 1Ghz if memory serves.

> You're a few years off on the Cray-2, and it was cooled by Fluorinert
> (which boils a lot higher tha nitrogen does).
>
> Water cooling of batteries seems like an alarming thing to me, because
> it means the battery efficiency is so low that the battery is wasting
> energy as heat. Efficient machines don't get hot.
>
> I understand heat losses in a PWM controller are inevitable and made
> worse by that fact that everyone wants to pack all the electronics
> into a tiny little space. But batteries?

Heat is largely a simple fact of life of higher performance. In
anything. If you design a machine that doesn't generate (perceptible to
the touch let along none at all) heat, it's because you simply aren't
using large amounts of power. What you're talking about is a
misperception that was born during the steam age at the very birth of
engines and before they were properly understood by the people making
such arguments and before the laws of thermodynamics were proven/
/developed/known to anyone but physicists.. Without such impossible
things as frictionless surfaces, perfect conductors and 100% efficient
chemical reactions you simply won't get it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old September 7th 10, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

ben91932 > wrote:
>Controllers get hot.. batteries get hot under hard use, but the heat/
>effeciency loss is an order of magnitude less than what a regular car
>engine wastes.
>Well-to-wheels, a modern EV is appx 50% more effecient than a modern
>gas car.

Sure, but that's damning with faint praise. The gasoline engine is... pretty
inefficient to say the least.
--scott

Old September 8th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
zzyzzx

Don't all or most hybrid cars have some sort of battery cooling system
anyway?