1997 LHS spark plug wire replacement

Old June 30th 10, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
katherat

Default 1997 LHS spark plug wire replacement

I understand that my LHS has Coil-on-plug ignition.
Apparently that is why the replacement splark plug wire set that I
just ordered has those long plastic tubes?
How do I remove the existing wires?
When I pull up on the forward-most spark plug wire on the passenger
side (which seems to be the most accessible) it doesn't seem to want
to move and I don't want to break it with too much force.
Is there a detail or trick to removing these that I should be aware
of?
Any help will be appreciated...
Old July 1st 10, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
aarcuda69062

In article
katherat > wrote:

> I understand that my LHS has Coil-on-plug ignition.

If it does, it's not a 97.
If it's a 97, it does not have coil on plug ignition.

> Apparently that is why the replacement splark plug wire set that I
> just ordered has those long plastic tubes?

If your engine has spark plug wires, it is definitely not coil on plug.

The "long plastic tubes" are because the spark plugs are deep in the
cylinder head.

> How do I remove the existing wires?
> When I pull up on the forward-most spark plug wire on the passenger
> side (which seems to be the most accessible) it doesn't seem to want
> to move and I don't want to break it with too much force.
> Is there a detail or trick to removing these that I should be aware
> of?
> Any help will be appreciated...

Twist and pull.
Old July 1st 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

yeah a 97 has the 3 coil pack over on the right hand side valve cover/cyl
head.

those tubes are just real long spark plug boots. if you have coil on plug,
it should be a 2nd gen LHS......about a 99 or newer i think?

http://www.racepages.com/parts/ignit...ysler/lhs.html

Old July 2nd 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
katherat

On Jun 30, 11:38*pm, "rob" > wrote:
> yeah a 97 has the 3 coil pack over on the right hand side valve cover/cyl
> head.
>
> those tubes are just real long spark plug boots. *if you have coil on plug,
> it should be a 2nd gen LHS......about a 99 or newer i think?
>
> http://www.racepages.com/parts/ignit...ysler/lhs.html
>
> "aarcuda69062" > wrote in message

> > In article
> > >,
> > katherat > wrote:

> >> I understand that my LHS has Coil-on-plug ignition.

> > If it does, it's not a 97.
> > If it's a 97, it does not have coil on plug ignition.

> >> Apparently that is why the replacement splark plug wire set that I
> >> just ordered has those long plastic tubes?

> > If your engine has spark plug wires, it is definitely not coil on plug.

> > The "long plastic tubes" are because the spark plugs are deep in the
> > cylinder head.

> >> How do I remove the existing wires?
> >> When I pull up on the forward-most spark plug wire on the passenger
> >> side (which seems to be the most accessible) it doesn't seem to want
> >> to move and I don't want to break it with too much force.
> >> Is there a detail or trick to removing these that I should be aware
> >> of?
> >> Any help will be appreciated...

> > Twist and pull.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to aarcuda69062 and rob for the information.
I have managed to remove the forwardmost passenger side plug wire.
I'll probably replace the plugs this weekend.
It could be easier if there were more slack in the wires and fewer
competing wiring passing in the vicinity... not to mention the way
they are inset into the manifold...
What is the cylinder numbering scheme on this 6-cyl engine?
I am getting a P0305 engine code...
Old July 2nd 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

first cyl on passenger side is #1 cyl on 3.5s. not familiar with the other
engines

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robs446/4756117510/

fishing the wires out from under the intake just takes a little patience.

Old July 3rd 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
aarcuda69062

In article
katherat > wrote:

> Thanks to aarcuda69062 and rob for the information.
> I have managed to remove the forwardmost passenger side plug wire.
> I'll probably replace the plugs this weekend.
> It could be easier if there were more slack in the wires and fewer
> competing wiring passing in the vicinity... not to mention the way
> they are inset into the manifold...
> What is the cylinder numbering scheme on this 6-cyl engine?

Passenger side front to back 1-3-5
Drivers side front to back 2-4-6

> I am getting a P0305 engine code...

You have a leaking lower intake manifold gasket.
Old July 3rd 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

aarcuda69062 > writes:

> In article
> >,
> katherat > wrote:
>
>> Thanks to aarcuda69062 and rob for the information.
>> I have managed to remove the forwardmost passenger side plug wire.
>> I'll probably replace the plugs this weekend.
>> It could be easier if there were more slack in the wires and fewer
>> competing wiring passing in the vicinity... not to mention the way
>> they are inset into the manifold...
>> What is the cylinder numbering scheme on this 6-cyl engine?

> Passenger side front to back 1-3-5
> Drivers side front to back 2-4-6
>
>> I am getting a P0305 engine code...

> You have a leaking lower intake manifold gasket.

You have a miss in cylinder 5 (diagnostic codes can be googled!). When
my wife's intrepid had that code, the problem was that the plugs were
worn out.
Old July 3rd 10, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

alldata verifies PO305 is miss in #5 cyl.

Old July 3rd 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Joe Pfeiffer > wrote:

> aarcuda69062 > writes:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > katherat > wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks to aarcuda69062 and rob for the information.
> >> I have managed to remove the forwardmost passenger side plug wire.
> >> I'll probably replace the plugs this weekend.
> >> It could be easier if there were more slack in the wires and fewer
> >> competing wiring passing in the vicinity... not to mention the way
> >> they are inset into the manifold...
> >> What is the cylinder numbering scheme on this 6-cyl engine?

> > Passenger side front to back 1-3-5
> > Drivers side front to back 2-4-6
> >
> >> I am getting a P0305 engine code...

> > You have a leaking lower intake manifold gasket.

> You

You mean 'they.'

> have a miss in cylinder 5 (diagnostic codes can be googled!).

Not necessary for me to do so.

> When
> my wife's intrepid had that code, the problem was that the plugs were
> worn out.

And since this engine was introduced, I've seen 80-90 instances where it
was a leaking lower intake gasket.
Old July 3rd 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
katherat

On Jul 3, 10:06*am, aarcuda69062 > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Joe Pfeiffer > wrote:
>

> > aarcuda69062 > writes:

> > > In article

> > > Passenger side front to back 1-3-5
> > > Drivers side front to back 2-4-6

> > > You have a leaking lower intake manifold gasket.

> > You

> You mean 'they.'
>
> > have a miss in cylinder 5 (diagnostic codes can be googled!).

> Not necessary for me to do so.
>
> > When
> > my wife's intrepid had that code, the problem was that the plugs were
> > worn out.

> And since this engine was introduced, I've seen 80-90 instances where it
> was a leaking lower intake gasket.- Hide quoted text -

Joe:
I am well aware that diagnostic ciodes can be googled.
I guess I should have said that I know that a P0305 comes back to a
"cylinder 5" issue.
I am trying to determine what my cylinder numbering is...
I have done a limited amount of googling for LHS cylinder numbering
without solid result...