Help, 2nd request, 74 Big Block coupe....

Old July 4th 07, 02:36 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
J Nyrose

Default Help, 2nd request, 74 Big Block coupe....

One more try,

I am buying new tires for my 1974 454 4 sp coupe and would like some
opinions,

I am looking at the T/A's 235/60/15, any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Jasen

Old July 4th 07, 01:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"J Nyrose" > wrote in message
> One more try,
>
> I am buying new tires for my 1974 454 4 sp coupe and would like some
> opinions,
>
> I am looking at the T/A's 235/60/15, any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jasen

I remember running G60 TAs on a 71 454 back then, but I don't know how that
translates to today's sizes. I recall that G 60 could cause a rubbing
problem on the front with some tires. Believe the car originally came with
70 series nylon tires.

Old July 4th 07, 06:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"J Nyrose" > wrote in message
> One more try,
>
> I am buying new tires for my 1974 454 4 sp coupe and would like some
> opinions,
>
> I am looking at the T/A's 235/60/15, any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jasen

They will rub, so will 225/70X15 but that is what is recommended by
Tirerack, it also looks to big in the wheel well. Actual size used was
GR70X15 and is comparable to the 215 series today. I have Goodyear
225/70X15 and they do rub in turns that work the suspension up and
down, width is the problem, not diameter.

Old July 6th 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
J Nyrose

I am currently running 235/60's with no rubbing, I guess I will stick with
that size.

Thanks

Old July 6th 07, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"J Nyrose" > wrote in message
>I am currently running 235/60's with no rubbing, I guess I will stick
>with that size.
>
> Thanks

Which brings up a question of the steering arm on the '74 spindles, do
they still have 2 holes? If so which hole is the radius/tie rod in,
forward or back? Also my guess is you have power steering, correct?

Old July 7th 07, 02:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

The original was a GR70-15. The Alpha sizes are no more, as they did not
always translate into the same size by manufacturers. The Metric sizes are
not always the same, either, but they are closer to being the same.

Basically, equivalent tires a

F70-15 215/70-15
F60-15 235/60-15

G70-15 225/70-15
G60-15 245/60-15

H70-15 235/70-15
H60-15 255/60-15

L70-15 255/70-15
L60-15 275/60-15

The 235/60-15 actually looks a bit small in the flared '73 to '77 fenders
and many run the 255/60-15. The 235/60 looks better in the '68-'72.

The 235/60 can have minor rubbing on the front at full lock on the frame at
the steering box bolts and the idler arm bolts, so it is important to always
have the rounded carriage head bolt in here. Never replace with a regular
bolt and especially never have the threaded end to the outside.

The 255/60 can have the same rubbing, plus the back edge of the wheelwell
and the top of the inner lip. These were trimmed at the factory for the '78
and up with the 255/60-15 option.

The 255/60 can also rub on the emergency brake cable bracket on the trailing
arms on the rear, but the clearance can usually be gained with minor work
(some grinding, maybe move the bracket if excessive). Be sure to fit a tire
to the wheel and check before driving out of the store with them on the car.

The 245/60 (the G60 equivalent) is a better fit from looks than the 235/60
and it less a problem from rubbing than the 255/60. However, they are
usually hard to find.

Fitment is based on using factory rally wheels or factory aluminum wheels at
stock ride height. With age and mileage, the ride height can vary. The
factory aluminum actually give a better fit of the 255/60 on the rear than
the rally wheels, so you may not have any issues on rear. You will still
have them on front.