Where Can I Buy 165 SR 15 Tires for my '73 Beetle.

Old September 13th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Where Can I Buy 165 SR 15 Tires for my '73 Beetle.

Hello!
I am having trouble finding tires for my '73 Beetle.
It has stock 15 inch 4.5 rims.

I would like to keep using 165 SR 15 tires.

What could I use as an alternative or do I have to buy the 5.5 15 inch
wheels and use the 185 SR 15 tires?
Any help is appreciated.
Old September 13th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Sep 13, 10:45 am, wrote:
> Hello!
> I am having trouble finding tires for my '73 Beetle.
> It has stock 15 inch 4.5 rims.
>
> I would like to keep using 165 SR 15 tires.
>
> What could I use as an alternative or do I have to buy the 5.5 15 inch
> wheels and use the 185 SR 15 tires?
> Any help is appreciated.

Discount tire and Big-O tires(both local chains to me) have been able
to special order them. I haven't been able to find them in stock
locally for quite a while.

If that's not an option, CIP has them for 65 each
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D6655

Chris
Old September 13th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

wasn't this just covered here?
jcwhitney might also sell them too. They were offering buy 3 get one free
IIRC.

--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old September 13th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Sep 13, 4:10�pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> wasn't this just covered here?
> jcwhitney might also sell them too. �They were offering buy 3 get one free
> IIRC.
>
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
>
> > wrote in message

> > On Sep 13, 10:45 am, wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >> I am having trouble finding tires for my '73 Beetle.
> >> It has stock 15 inch 4.5 rims.

> >> I would like to keep using 165 SR 15 tires.

> >> What could I use as an alternative or do I have to buy the 5.5 15 inch
> >> wheels and use the 185 SR 15 tires?
> >> Any help is appreciated.

> > Discount tire and Big-O tires(both local chains to me) have been able
> > to special order them. I haven't been able to find them in stock
> > locally for quite a while.

> > If that's not an option, CIP has them for 65 each
> >http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D6655

> > Chris- Hide quoted text -

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=1&RunFlat=All

$40 a tire is not bad
Old September 14th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=1&RunFlat=All

>$40 a tire is not bad

i agree that isn't a bad price... but if you want those tires now you are in
trouble... they are back ordered..

Old September 18th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

wrote:
> Hello!
> I am having trouble finding tires for my '73 Beetle.
> It has stock 15 inch 4.5 rims.
>
> I would like to keep using 165 SR 15 tires.
>
> What could I use as an alternative or do I have to buy the 5.5 15 inch
> wheels and use the 185 SR 15 tires?
> Any help is appreciated.

Call the 800 number at Premier Tire (Denver, Mountain Time)

http://www.premiertire.com/
At the website, click on Passenger Car in the left column. I think they
don't show every make of tire that they sell. I bought 155-15 Vredestein
tires, which are even rarer than 165-15, from this company several years
ago that were reasonably priced (about $45), and they have held up well.
The charge for shipping was reasonable, too. Other people at RAMVA
have spoken well of Vredestein.

Even if the web site doesn't show it, there's a chance they sell other
makes of 165-15.

Randall

OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B Technology 68 September 12th 07 03:08 AM
Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 06:27 PM
FS: 5'er Snow Tires: Wheels and Tires Nik BMW 5 December 16th 05 12:36 AM
Quiet tires=soft tires? Frank Honda 8 March 16th 05 07:40 PM
Winter tires vs offroad tires. Goldhawk 4x4 5 January 5th 05 09:34 PM