Back flushing the cooling system.

Old August 8th 12, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

Default Back flushing the cooling system.

In October I am going to back flush the cooling system in my 1983 Dodge full size van. I will buy a kit that has the plastic T and install the T in the upper heater hose. I will remove the thermostat and then put it back in or buy a new thermostat after back flushing. I was thinking if I connect my garden hose to the T and let the water run for about twenty minutes, will that flush all of the old coolant out of the cooling system?
Old August 9th 12, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

JR > wrote:
> In October I am going to back flush the cooling system in my 1983 Dodge
> full size van. I will buy a kit that has the plastic T and install the T
> in the upper heater hose. I will remove the thermostat and then put it
> back in or buy a new thermostat after back flushing. I was thinking if I
> connect my garden hose to the T and let the water run for about twenty
> minutes, will that flush all of the old coolant out of the cooling system?

You said nothing of draining system. I'm sure it's easy to flush coolant. I
think it's effective to flush loose particle, but it does not clean
deposits.
I bought a kit but never used it. I just wanted to reverse flush the heater
core.

Greg
Old August 9th 12, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:45:22 AM UTC-7, JR wrote:

> In October I am going to back flush the cooling system in my 1983
> Dodge full size van. I will buy a kit that has the plastic T and
> install the T in the upper heater hose. I will remove the thermostat
> and then put it back in or buy a new thermostat after back flushing.
> I was thinking if I connect my garden hose to the T and let the
> water run for about twenty minutes, will that flush all of the old
> coolant out of the cooling system?

I once tried that, but the water that drained out after 15 minutes was slightly green anyway. So next time I followed the advice to drain, refill with water, run the engine for a minute, and then repeat all that 2 more times.. The water came out crystal clear when I did that. But I still remove some heater hoses to blow out the remaining water so I can fill with distilled.
Old August 9th 12, 11:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Aug 8, 11:45*am, JR > wrote:
> In October I am going to back flush the cooling system in my 1983 Dodge full size van. I will buy a kit that has the plastic T and install the T in the upper heater hose. I will remove the thermostat and then put it back in or buy a new thermostat after back flushing. I was thinking if I connect my garden hose to the T and let the water run for about twenty minutes, will that flush all of the old coolant out of the cooling system?

Put some flush in the system too to neutralize any acidic coolant etc.
Old August 9th 12, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
gregz > wrote:
>JR > wrote:
>> In October I am going to back flush the cooling system in my 1983 Dodge
>> full size van. I will buy a kit that has the plastic T and install the T
>> in the upper heater hose. I will remove the thermostat and then put it
>> back in or buy a new thermostat after back flushing. I was thinking if I
>> connect my garden hose to the T and let the water run for about twenty
>> minutes, will that flush all of the old coolant out of the cooling system?

>You said nothing of draining system. I'm sure it's easy to flush coolant. I
>think it's effective to flush loose particle, but it does not clean
>deposits.
>I bought a kit but never used it. I just wanted to reverse flush the heater
>core.

I would not recommend using the acid flush for removing deposits on an
'83 Dodge, especially one that might have suffered indifferent maintenance.

When you use the acid flush kit, all of the leaks that were sealed by
deposits will suddenly start leaking. If your goal is to identify everything
marginal in the cooling system so that you can replace them, this is a good
idea. However, if your goal is to avoid changing the head gasket and the
heater core as long as possible, it may not be.

Just take the hose, flush it through. 20 minutes seems like a long time,
five or ten minutes should be fine. Put new coolant in, then change the
coolant every year. Keep driving.
--scott
Old August 10th 12, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Aug 8, 7:04*pm, gregz > wrote:
> JR > wrote:
> > In October I am going to back flush the cooling system in my 1983 Dodge
> > full size van. I will buy a kit that has the plastic T and install the T
> > in the upper heater hose. I will remove the thermostat and then put it
> > back in or buy a new thermostat after back flushing. I was thinking if I
> > connect my garden hose to the T and let the water run for about twenty
> > minutes, will that flush all of the old coolant out of the cooling system?

> You said nothing of draining system. I'm sure it's easy to flush coolant. I
> think it's effective to flush loose particle, but it does not clean
> deposits.
> I bought a kit but never used it. I just wanted to reverse flush the heater
> core.
>
> Greg

yes, I would pull the block drains as well, if you can. I've seen
some older engines where pulling the block drains shows that the
bottom of the block is full of crud above the level of the drain
plug(s), requiring some poking with a wire/screwdriver/etc. to even
get any flow at all out of those holes. In extreme cases, removing
the rearmost freeze plugs and replacing those will result in a better
flush, if it's never been done before. Depending on engine, may have
to remove starter to access block drains and/or freeze plugs.

nate