Accord coupe - washer fluid container

Old January 21st 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

Default Accord coupe - washer fluid container

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message ...
> "Pszemol" > wrote
>
>> It is not that I cannot put the cap back on the bottle
>> and store the bottle - I just see it as very inconvenient.
>> If it was - let's say - half bottle left unused - then
>> I would understand, but we are talking about 10-15%.
>> Do they REALLY had such a hard time squizing this extra
>> pint into the very slightly bigger reservoir? Doubt it.
>> They just did not care. Lack of attention to details?

> The correct amount is actually 35% left over.
>
> 1 gallon is 3.8L or so.
>
> A 2.5L reservoir can handle .65 gallons....or 65% of a 1 gallon jug.
>
> Therefore, 35% remains.

Previous estimate was eye-balled to be 15%.
The measured lefover from the bottle was 3 & 1/2 cups.
Old January 21st 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tony Harding" > wrote in message ...
> Pszemol wrote:

>>> Absolutely not - you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Just
>>> because the windshield washer reservoir doesn't hold a full gallon
>>> doesn't make it a design flaw or reflect that Honda doesn't care about
>>> details.

>> ... in your humble opinion.
>> I my - also humble opinion - it does make it a design flaw.

> The difference is you are wrong.

Of course I am wrong :-) You are obviously always right.
Old January 21st 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message ...
>> If you never leave the city perhaps you can get
>> away with it.
>>
>> Normally, with 3,000 mile service, Honda refills mine and I seldom
>> have to worry about it unless we have a lot of snow and/or rain.
>> Worrying about how much the washer fluid container held would be about
>> number 689 on my list of things to be concerned about.

> Yup...plus, it encourages one to check regularly, if you think about it.

So you think a smaller bottle is a benefit compared to a bigger one?
You must be kidding.
Old January 21st 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Dave L" > wrote in message . ..
> About the O.P. stating it is a bad design the Accord windshield washer
> reservoir does not fit a gallon of washer fluid.... Isn't this the same
> arguement as, why doesn't an engine use a round quart of oil? Why would it
> be 4.5 quarts, 5.2 quarts, etc. Is it a bad engine design? Nah. We just
> need to redefine the volume of a U.S. gallon and a U.S. quart...

Engine does not consume oil and does not require oil replenishment
from the end user/driver on a regular basis. At least good engine,
I am not talking about really old or broken ones here loosing oil.

Oil change, however easy for the end user/driver, is designed
to be done at the shop by the proffessional. And a pro is seldom
using a retail quart bottles. They dispense oil from a big drum.

So it does not really matter for an ordinary driver how much oil
fits his/her car engine. It is not his/her concern...

Opposite is true for the windshield washer fluid. It is frequent
maintenance item which is mostly done by the end user who does not
buy washer fluid in shop quantities like 50 gallon drums...

It is sold in retail in one gallon standard containers and
it should fit completelly without lefover in the reservoir.

Of course it is only my opinion and everybody can think
differently - I do not really care to convince you all :-)
Old January 21st 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Matt Ion" > wrote in message news:AhEkj.50699$wx.4225@pd7urf1no...
> If it is, nearly ever auto manufacturer for the past 80 years or so (or
> at least since the windshield-washer was invented) is guilty of it.
> It's certainly not unique to the '04 Accord, or any Accord, or any
> Honda, or any Japanese car, for that matter.

Well, I have not made statistic study on the reservoir size
in cars :-) What I know is my old 95 camry had the reservoid
big enough to make washer fluid maintenance a very rare event.
It was just enough fluid there to keep me going between oil
changes and not worrying about washer fluid fill.
Later in the car life, when I started to do my oil changes
I was more frequently adding fluid and I know it fits the
whole bottle and it was nice. I guess I got spoiled with
my camry and now I see design flaws in my accord a lot...
Too small washer fluid, sprinkler nozzle spraying the driver
wiper blade instead of the glass, frequently light bulbs
blowing on the dashboard/interior switches, etc...

Old January 21st 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Gene S. Berkowitz" > wrote in message .. .
>> The only reason MIGHT be that the smaller reservoir with no sensor
>> is half or 1/3 the price than a bigger one with the sensor...
>> Then somoebody very "smart" assumed that since in US there a many
>> states that do not see snow around the year the US version does
>> not need a big reservoir nor the sensor. Good luck Far North USA...

> The same can be said for the placement of the washer nozzles in my '03
> and '07 Accords, which is in a recess under the lip of the hood, a
> location where snow & ice tend to get packed in by the driver-side wiper
> on the backstroke, blocking the nozzle.

Exactly the point. Mine 04 accord coupe driver nozzle is additionally
very hard to adjust the way it does not hit the driver wiper in the park
location. So if you want to spray a dirty window BEFORE the first
swing of the wiper arm scratching your dry glass you are out of luck.

It seems to be obvious that windshield washing design was the last
on the designer mind when accord was on its "drafting table"...
Old January 21st 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

"Pszemol" > wrote in message
> "Dave L" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> About the O.P. stating it is a bad design the Accord windshield washer
>> reservoir does not fit a gallon of washer fluid.... Isn't this the same
>> arguement as, why doesn't an engine use a round quart of oil? Why would
>> it be 4.5 quarts, 5.2 quarts, etc. Is it a bad engine design? Nah. We
>> just need to redefine the volume of a U.S. gallon and a U.S. quart...

> Engine does not consume oil and does not require oil replenishment
> from the end user/driver on a regular basis. At least good engine,
> I am not talking about really old or broken ones here loosing oil.

All engines consume "some" oil, just not supposed to consume enough for the
average person to need to top it off between oil changes.

> Oil change, however easy for the end user/driver, is designed
> to be done at the shop by the proffessional. And a pro is seldom
> using a retail quart bottles. They dispense oil from a big drum.

You don't need to be a "professional" to do an oil change. Safely jacking a
car up, getting a little dirty and properly disposing of the used motor oil
is something most don't want to do.

> So it does not really matter for an ordinary driver how much oil
> fits his/her car engine. It is not his/her concern...

Agreed!

> Opposite is true for the windshield washer fluid. It is frequent
> maintenance item which is mostly done by the end user who does not
> buy washer fluid in shop quantities like 50 gallon drums...

Many people I know just wait until their oil change, and they have it topped
off there as part of the service. Unless you're in an area to frequently
need to use the washer fluid...

> It is sold in retail in one gallon standard containers and
> it should fit completelly without lefover in the reservoir.

So a person needs to run the fluid dry before filling it up? Not a good
move! I don't think the average person wants to pull over the side of the
road when they run out of fluid, and happen to have a gallon to exactly top
it off.

> Of course it is only my opinion and everybody can think
> differently - I do not really care to convince you all :-)

Agreed :-)

-Dave

Old January 21st 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Pszemol" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> It probably has to with available room.
>>
>> Automakers tend to make the washer bottles fit oddly-shaped leftover
>> room behind the front bumper. The bottles tend to look as though they
>> were "blown in place", they fit the weird shape so well. Maybe there
>> wasn't any room to make your bottle any bigger.

> I would agree with you if I did not know that Canadian version
> of the Accord has almost twice the volume its reservoir...

I found it hard to believe Honda would spend the money to make two
different reservoir sizes...until I checked the reservoir capacities for
my Canadian car and the US version of that same car.

Canadian version: 4.5L (4.8qt)
US version: 2.5L (2.6qt)

So you're right!

That is weird. Maybe they're using the smaller bottle on US cars to save
weight. Canada has never had CAFE-type mileage regulations like the US
has had since 1975, so weight's never been a concern up here like down
there.

> I cannot imagine Canadian version having much more space in
> that area to fit a bigger bottle with a sensor and extra wire.
> I would rather lean toward saving money with smaller, simpler bottle.

Or a lighter one with less fluid...

>> Mine happens to hold about a pint over a gallon.

> Is yours Canadian version? Acording to the specs it should fit 4.5
> liters.

It's a Canadian-market vehicle and it does.

The reservoir actually still has about an inch of fluid in it when the
sprayers stop working. This is because the motor pickup is part-way up
the side of the bottle.
I've discovered I can get a few more squirts out of it if I swerve left
then right briefly while operating the sprayer.

>> You should have seen the bottles they used to put on cars in the old
>> days. They held a quart, if that.

> Well, maybe they were designed to be sold in California only? ;-)

Nope. Up here in Canada too. My '75 Corolla's bottle held a quart, had a
filler neck the size of a quarter, and was right up against the
firewall. What a pig to fill.

My dad's '70 Ford had an even smaller bottle as I recall.

> The poor guy in Montana or Michigan would have to add the fluid
> every 15 minutes during his winter trips... ;-)

We did. It was /most/ annoying.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Washer Fluid Anyroadup BMW 17 October 23rd 07 02:56 PM
Window washer fluid fix. J J Technology 0 November 23rd 06 07:48 PM
Pls help - Quick Q about washer fluid for 530 Dizzy Bird via CarKB.com BMW 0 April 4th 05 12:17 AM
Washer fluid low Geir R.Pettersson Jeep 9 January 18th 05 07:28 AM
Best washer fluid for bugs? Sanjay Punjab General 0 July 4th 04 10:12 PM