Washer fluid low

Old January 16th 05, 11:47 AM
Geir R.Pettersson

Default Washer fluid low

1994 Cherokee 2,1TD (I know wan't happen again)

Got the warning light "low washer fluid", (it was half empty) I refilled,
but still the light is On.
Tried to check why, but could not find any reason, checked all the fuses as
well.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks for all help. (not a big deal, but always nice when things work as it
is supposed to do)

Best Regards
Geir R.Pettersson

http://www.arctic-heating.com

Old January 16th 05, 03:20 PM
DougW

Geir R.Pettersson did pass the time by typing:
> 1994 Cherokee 2,1TD (I know wan't happen again)
>
> Got the warning light "low washer fluid", (it was half empty) I refilled,
> but still the light is On.
> Tried to check why, but could not find any reason, checked all the fuses as
> well.
> Any suggestions ?

Clean the float switch connections. Could be it's corroded.

--
DougW

Old January 16th 05, 05:11 PM
Jo Bo

If it's like the one on my 96 there's a float think inside the tank. When
the float dropps doen from a bump or whatever it gets stuck. Another bump
MAY allow it to float again. If you get tired of looking at the light pull
the connector. Also a dirty connector will not cause it to come on. It works
the other way around.

JoBo

http://www.arctic-heating.com

Old January 16th 05, 06:54 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If it's like my Fords there're two electrodes at the end of wire
accessed through that pop top, plates about an inch long parallel to
each other, that corrosion eat mine completely off in ten years. That's
using Kalifornia's hard water, if I ever use the recommended fluid with
a mixture of antifreeze they'd probable be like new copper plates.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

http://www.arctic-heating.com

Old January 16th 05, 08:48 PM
Jo Bo

Bill.

My 96 and the son's 89 xj's both have a reed switch actuated by a magnet on
a float. As I mentioned the float has a habit of stayng down after a bump.

JoBo

http://www.arctic-heating.com

Old January 16th 05, 09:51 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi JoBo,
Yes, I see know now, it's external on this WJ and would only work
with a float in it's cylinder beside the pump:
http://billhughes.com/washerpump.jpg Thanks.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 17th 05, 05:51 AM
DaveW

Geir R.Pettersson wrote:
> 1994 Cherokee 2,1TD (I know wan't happen again)
>
> Got the warning light "low washer fluid", (it was half empty) I refilled,
> but still the light is On.
> Tried to check why, but could not find any reason, checked all the fuses as
> well.
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Thanks for all help. (not a big deal, but always nice when things work as it
> is supposed to do)
>
> Best Regards
> Geir R.Pettersson

http://www.arctic-heating.com

I've never had one of those things that worked right. Usually, they tell
you the fluid is low when it is 3/4 full. I just disconnect mine and put
electrical tape over the connector.

I mean do we really need this thing? Washer fluid is about the only
thing that actually runs low in my XJ...besides a quart of oil in 3000
miles by which time it is due for a change anyway.

I've resigned myself to using the dollar a gallon stuff from the store.
Our water here is too hard, and the stuff is cheap, and does a much
better job on the glass than plain water.

Regards,

DAve
Old January 17th 05, 03:49 PM
RoyJ

You get to use WATER in yours? -17F here this morning, -26F where I go
wheeling.

Old January 17th 05, 05:56 PM
Jeff Strickland

You need to 1.) ignore the message, 2.) get a new level sensor.

http://www.arctic-heating.com

Old January 18th 05, 07:28 AM
Geir R.Pettersson

Thanks to all.
Cleaned connector, checked the wire, still the same.
knocked on the senor, and then it was ok for about 100 meter driving, then
it came back.
Disconnected the plug (no light) check again when my tank is empty.

--
Best Regards
Geir R.Pettersson

http://www.arctic-heating.com