Oil Filter Stucked.

Old October 15th 04, 07:33 AM
Red Cloud

Default Oil Filter Stucked.

I tried to loose the oil filter and unable to do so.
My honda manual said I have to tap the side of Canister to loose using
long screw drive. I don't understand how stucked oil filter could
be loose just by tapping the side. does anyone any idea how to loose
an oil filter.
Old October 15th 04, 10:32 AM
KWW

On numerous occasions I have applied the "no turning back" method:
1) Remove Driver's front tire for better access to filter. Securely prop up
vehicle.
2) Try everything else first to loosen filter.
3) Tap the screwdriver with a hammer so that it punctures the oil filter in
one side and out the other. Be sure to get a meaty part of the filter.
4) Use the screwdriver as a larger handle to turn the filter.
5) If this only tears up the filter, use a long metal rod (such as a 1/2"
socket drive extension) as a chisel and place it at an angle against the
base of the remaining filter so that when you strike the rod with the
hammer, it may cause the filter to turn counter-clockwise (if it dents the
filter enough so that it "bites" into it).

Thing is, there is no turning back... You SHALL get the filter off....you
MUST get the filter off... because you can not move the car otherwise.

OR PLAN "B" do none of the above and take the car to a lube place, have them
replace the oil and filter, then when you get the car home, loosen the
filter a bit and retighten it only as much as is needed. That way, next
time, you can loosen it yourself.

Good luck!
--
KWW

om...

Old October 15th 04, 02:06 PM
mrhct

"Red Cloud" > wrote in message
om...
>I tried to loose the oil filter and unable to do so.
> My honda manual said I have to tap the side of Canister to loose using
> long screw drive. I don't understand how stucked oil filter could
> be loose just by tapping the side. does anyone any idea how to loose
> an oil filter.

Have you tried an oil filter cap socket? It fits on the end of your oil
filter and you turn it with a 3/8" socket wrench.

Old October 15th 04, 02:35 PM
Caroline

When typical oil filter wrenches fail to do the job, then I and others turn to a
tool some vernacularly call "The Crusher." The tool's jaws clamp around the end
of the filter and get tighter as one applies more torque to twist the filter
off.

Both of the following appear to work like mine (which as only two jaws). I
bought mine at Car Quest about a dozen years ago, but I think Autozone,
Checkers, and Napa would probably have it, too. I've needed it twice in some 20+
years of doing oil changes. It's never failed me whereas cap oil filter
wrenches and belt oil filter wrenches have.

http://www.toolprice.com/product/7260B

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...-LIS63600.HTML

"Red Cloud" > wrote

Old October 16th 04, 03:00 AM
He Hate Retard and Moron

No such word as "stucked."

____________________________________
Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.

Old October 17th 04, 01:14 AM
Abeness

He Hate Retard and Moron wrote:
> No such word as "stucked."

Man, you really are an idiot--"He Hate" isn't grammatically correct,
either, but "Retard and Moron" sure fits you to a "T".

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt when others
criticized you and I had just joined the group, but I've now seen enough
to know that they're right. Why not be helpful, instead of constantly
insulting?
Old October 17th 04, 02:26 PM
ZZonka Tonka

I've got some 18" channel locks, I never met a oil filter I can't get
loose when using them.

Old October 17th 04, 02:58 PM
Burt Squareman

"Red Cloud" > wrote in message om...
> I tried to loose the oil filter and unable to do so.
> My Honda manual said I have to tap the side of Canister to loose using
> long screw drive. I don't understand how stuck oil filter could
> be loosen just by tapping the side.

You can remove extremely tight screws, bolts, oil filters, or
anything by tapping its outer perimeter with a quality punch. This
method require some dexterity by utilizing a single blow or more to
the punch. It's a rewarding process that builds character and can
usually be learned.

--
Burt