OBD-II error codes

Old July 22nd 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
A.J.

Default OBD-II error codes

Hi,

I am trying to extract error codes (DTC) from the OBD-II without using
a scan tool from my 98 accord (125k miles) by making the Check Engine
Light (aka MIL) to spit out the codes by short/long blinks. Looks like
I need to jumper some pins on the DLC connector so that the codes are
redirected to the dashboard. Can someone tell me which pins I need to
jumper? I came across someone suggesting we should jump pin #8 to #13,
but the DLC pin description says that these pins are un-used (hence my
dilemma).

Also, does anyone have software that interprets the ISO-9141 data
coming out of the OBD-II (I can make the connector wire myself)?

Thanks,
- A.J.

Old July 22nd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
butch burton

Go to Autozone and use their OBD-II reader - they do this for free -
the flashing lights only give you a hint - their reader will tell you
exactly nature of the problem. Don't buy repair parts from them till
you check on line - frequently genuine honda parts are cheaper on line
than autozone aftermarket parts.

Old July 22nd 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

"A.J." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to extract error codes (DTC) from the OBD-II without using
> a scan tool from my 98 accord (125k miles) by making the Check Engine
> Light (aka MIL) to spit out the codes by short/long blinks. Looks like
> I need to jumper some pins on the DLC connector so that the codes are
> redirected to the dashboard. Can someone tell me which pins I need to
> jumper? I came across someone suggesting we should jump pin #8 to #13,
> but the DLC pin description says that these pins are un-used (hence my
> dilemma).
>
> Also, does anyone have software that interprets the ISO-9141 data
> coming out of the OBD-II (I can make the connector wire myself)?
>
> Thanks,
> - A.J.

Don't start shorting pins on the computer. Use the jumper provided. Look
at page three of the PDI sheets for a Gen 1 CR-V

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/index.html

It's similar to what you're needing. You could sign in and SEARCH at
hondasuv.com, or just use google.com to find the same procedure for
Accord (same as Odyssey too, I think). odyclub.com might have it in the
SEARCH.

blink codes Accord might be good key words to search on google..

'Curly'
Old July 22nd 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message
> "A.J." wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to extract error codes (DTC) from the OBD-II without using
>> a scan tool from my 98 accord (125k miles) by making the Check Engine
>> Light (aka MIL) to spit out the codes by short/long blinks. Looks like
>> I need to jumper some pins on the DLC connector so that the codes are
>> redirected to the dashboard. Can someone tell me which pins I need to
>> jumper? I came across someone suggesting we should jump pin #8 to #13,
>> but the DLC pin description says that these pins are un-used (hence my
>> dilemma).
>>
>> Also, does anyone have software that interprets the ISO-9141 data
>> coming out of the OBD-II (I can make the connector wire myself)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - A.J.

> Don't start shorting pins on the computer. Use the jumper provided. Look
> at page three of the PDI sheets for a Gen 1 CR-V
>
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/index.html
>
> It's similar to what you're needing. You could sign in and SEARCH at
> hondasuv.com, or just use google.com to find the same procedure for
> Accord (same as Odyssey too, I think). odyclub.com might have it in the
> SEARCH.
>
> blink codes Accord might be good key words to search on google..
>
> 'Curly'

Seems like the consensus was that post '96 Hondas use the OBD-II ONLY????? I
never did find the magic blue connector on my '00 Accord.

Old July 22nd 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Nasty" > wrote in
:

> Seems like the consensus was that post '96 Hondas use the OBD-II
> ONLY?????

"Consensus" plays no role in this. It's either right or it's not. You can't
have a "consensus" on issues for which verifiable and repeatable facts
exist.

> I never did find the magic blue connector on my '00 Accord.

SOME American-market OBDII-compliant models of Hondas continued to use the
MIL-blink code-reading method if their generation crossed 1996, the first
model year OBDII was mandated in the US.

The '96-'99 Civic has it. The '94-'97 Accord has it. The '94-'97 Integra
has it.

Your Accord is from the '98-'02 generation. This model did not cross the
OBDII barrier of 1996.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 23rd 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
---snippy---

> "Consensus" plays no role in this. It's either right or it's not. You
> can't have a "consensus" on issues for which verifiable and
> repeatable facts exist.

---snippy---
Apparently, you have never been to where I live

http://www.silvertoncolorado.com

"Silverton is a town that has its own color and character." That means that
practically everyone who lives here, is crazy. Their favorite saying is,
"The laws operate differently here". The postmaster, a federal employee,
told me this. You could tell them that "The sky is blue" and if the Great
and Powerful Town Trustees didn't agree, then it wouldn't be true. Have you
ever been to a town meeting? You give them a "verifiable and repeatable
fact" that contradicts "common knowledge" and they just ignore you or tell
you that you are wrong. Never underestimate the depths of which human
ignorance is capable. The Internet, well that is even worse.

Why am I here? I like the scenery.

Earle

Old July 23rd 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "Nasty" > wrote in
> :
>

>> Seems like the consensus was that post '96 Hondas use the OBD-II
>> ONLY?????

> "Consensus" plays no role in this. It's either right or it's not. You
> can't
> have a "consensus" on issues for which verifiable and repeatable facts
> exist.

Oh, you know what I meant.

>> I never did find the magic blue connector on my '00 Accord.
>>

> SOME American-market OBDII-compliant models of Hondas continued to use the
> MIL-blink code-reading method if their generation crossed 1996, the first
> model year OBDII was mandated in the US.
>
> The '96-'99 Civic has it. The '94-'97 Accord has it. The '94-'97 Integra
> has it.
>
> Your Accord is from the '98-'02 generation.

So is his.

>This model did not cross the OBDII barrier of 1996.

Neither did his.

Old July 31st 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
A.J.

Thanks to all for your adivce. The Autozone trick worked really well
(they did it for free), I wasn't aware of this service, it is terrific.

The DTC code was P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
(Bank 1) which most mechanics interpret as busted O2 sensor. However,
bad catalytic converter or retarded spark (timing belt) can also cause
this DTC. In my case, it was the last one, so when I had the timing
belt changed, the light went away after 50 miles or so of driving.

Thanks again,
-aj-